2013 Si A/C issues
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dpetro1

Thread: 2013 Si A/C issues

Greenhorn

2013 Si A/C issues

My 2013 Civic Si is having intermittent air conditioning issues. Over the past several days I have noticed that the problem seems to correlate with the ambient temperature outside—the system works consistently at cooler temperatures, and nearly ceases to work at higher temperatures (when I really need it lol). The tipping point, if that matters, seems to be at about 85 F. When it stops working it simply blows outside air.

I can hear a noise in the cabin when the ac is struggling to work—it sounds like fan blades hitting something. But I don’t think any of the fans are impeded because when the ambient temp is low enough (and the ac is working properly) there is no noise whatsoever and it works without stopping.

I’m aware of the compressor thermal protector, which seems like an obvious culprit, but a replacement is $90+ so I don’t want to replace it needlessly.

I have no experience with car a/c systems. Are there relays I should check? Has anyone had similar symptoms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

First thing to check is whether the clutch is engaged and spinning. If yes, you would need to check your charge using a manifold gauge set.
    If no, you need to track the source of the ac disengaging. Could be electrical or the charge is too low.
    Sometimes it's best to have a professional diagnose the ac since there is specialized equipment involved.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Teeps and Aviator6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpetro1 View Post
    First thing to check is whether the clutch is engaged and spinning. If yes, you would need to check your charge using a manifold gauge set.
    If no, you need to track the source of the ac disengaging. Could be electrical or the charge is too low.

Sometimes it's best to have a professional diagnose the ac since there is specialized equipment involved.

Excellent advice! Sometimes DIY makes things worse.

OP when the A/C goes warm, does the volume of air coming from the vents change?
    Also, what is the vent temperature from the center vents when A/C is working?
    (car should be running in the shade for at least 15 minutes with doors/windows closed and air inlet set to REC. fan on Hi.)
    A healthy system should produce temps between 38F. and 43F.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)