2012 ac not very cold??
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Thread: 2012 ac not very cold??

Greenhorn

2012 ac not very cold??

I have a 2012 exl sedan 100,km auto tinted windows haven't used ac in thisuntil recently so Im not sure if ac is supposed to freeze you in these cars or not?

ac was working but not very cold had it checked at indy ac/rad shop I trust 2weeks ago was low on refrigerant they evacuated system added dye and recharge they were unable to find leak via dye or sniffer

Compressor runs for about 1 minute when you first turn ac on after that its on for 10-20 secs then off for the same then on low presseure line gets cool but notfreezing cold HP line barely gets warm

Today it was 29.8 C out (85.6f) car was in sun from 9am untill 3pm sunroof popped front windows open an inch
    Drove 15mins home and car was just cool NOT cold went inside got my meat thermometer (only one I have) outside temp 29.8 ac on rec normal fan high vent drivers side center temp was after a few mins 9.8F that’s at idle in the sun after lets say 10 mins

I looked under car and NO water dripping out it’s not too humid here (Toronto area Canada)

I ran my1997 civic ac and the Lp line gets icycold and the HP line gets real hot…… myold mercedes c240 also was freezing cold always

Anyways any input or advice I got a UV flash light today so when it gets dark im going tolook around myself

Last edited by contact148; 06-07-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

9.8C is not good if car was in the shade when tested.

See post #3
    https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/in...-c-issues.html

What were the pressures after the shop serviced the A/C system?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Im not sure what the pressures were I did just look the system over with a uv light and im sure this is dye on the condenser in 2 spots
    car was in the sun for those temps above

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Well, if that is the leak check dye in the photo... You have your answer.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Well, if that is the leak check dye in the photo... You have your answer.
    Im 99.9% sure it is the dye shop is not open until Monday Ill get it over Tuesday if I can and see what they say

would it be a good idea for me to wash the dye off the condenser and run the ac a lot to see if it returns?

Quote Originally Posted by contact148 View Post
    would it be a good idea for me to wash the dye off the condenser and run the ac a lot to see if it returns?
    You could do that.
    The dye should reappear if that is indeed the source of the leak.
    Wouldn't hurt to mark the area before cleaning... just in case.

I see you may of found the source of the leak. Honda A/C is usually not that great anyways. 7 years is a long time with the system not being recharged. The system should be evacuated and recharged any time its needed which is about every 2-3 years at least. . The refrigerant is not as good as R12 that was used in the past. Dont run the AC until it's fixed it will cause other issues and be.more expensive to fix.

Btw, my trucks ac system gets evacuated any time there is an issue which is at least once a year. I use the A/C to cool the motor so I know when the system is not working right. Usually when it gets to that point something needs to be replaced. My compressor was last issue.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Greenhorn
    Update

the condenser was leaking the spotted the dye and the sniffer went crazy at the area the condenser had a small crack in the fins not on the front and was behind the bumper so not a stone hit

the system had lost 1/4 of its charge in about 10days

they replaced the condenser and receiver drier which is attached this was yesterday last night the system seemed way cooler then it did today approx. same outdoor temp so I hope there is not another leak as they were unable to find any other leaks who knows maybe its just me?? anyways lots of condensate dripping from the car now but its only 25c with 40% humidity here (Toronto Canada)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)