air blows fine with A/C on but not when it is off
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air blows fine with A/C on but not when it is off

Greenhorn

air blows fine with A/C on but not when it is off

This just seemed to start ....noticed today that when the A/C is off, barely any air blows thru the vents. But, if the A/C is on it blows fine.

I did check the cabin air filter and it's not that for sure.

The A/C runs well (gets cold). I had that worked on earlier in the Spring (new compressor). Everything was fine (A/C or or A/C off) until just recently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The A/C on/off control (button) should not affect blower speed function or air delivery position.

What year?
    Model?
    Trim level?
    Does the blower motor run at all speeds with A/C off?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    2012 Honda Civic EX

The blower motor runs with AC off...and you can here it get louder as you move it up....but very little air comes out of the left most vent (by your left hand) and virtually zero from the vent by your right hand. Changing the controls from face, to legs etc doesn't seem to make much if any difference.

Then...if I turn the A/C after a second or so, cold air starts cranking out the vents like I'd expect. Turn the A/C off, then the air flow dies again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by capmarvel View Post
    2012 Honda Civic EX

The blower motor runs with AC off...and you can here it get louder as you move it up....but very little air comes out of the left most vent (by your left hand) and virtually zero from the vent by your right hand. Changing the controls from face, to legs etc doesn't seem to make much if any difference.

Then...if I turn the A/C after a second or so, cold air starts cranking out the vents like I'd expect. Turn the A/C off, then the air flow dies again.
    At first your description sounds like the evaporator is freezing, except you say the A/C is off when the air volume stops...
    How about the passenger side vents, same as driver?
    Does the air temperature that comes out of the vents change?
    I wonder could the air be blowing out of the defrost vent along the bottom of the front windshield?

Does your car have any aftermarket accessories or electrical modifications?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Passenger vents do same thing. If I change the temperature dial, the temperature does change (so car gets "warm" when it's in the red head zone - just little to no warm air coming out of the driver or passenger vents). No aftermarket anything.

And ...based on your suggestion...the air is coming out the side defrost vents by the mirror and the front defrost vent...and doesn't change no matter what button I hit (again, unless A/C is on)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)