How to hard reset Bluetooth HFL - 2012 Civic EX
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teeps

Thread: How to hard reset Bluetooth HFL - 2012 Civic EX

How to hard reset Bluetooth HFL - 2012 Civic EX

Hi, I have a 2012 Civic EX coupe with standard imid and Bluetooth HFL.

The issue I'm having started this evening while Doordashing, I had to disconnect from the HFL via my phone (Samsung Galaxy J7) to speak to a customer, afterwords my phone would no longer connect to HFL.

I tried resetting the phone and turning off/restarting the car multiple times to no avail>

I finally decided to delete the settings saved for the phone in the HFL settings, only to find that every time I tried it would freeze up and become unresponsive to any and all input except to return to the base imid screen. Same thing happens when I tried to "clear all data" from the HFL menu, it freezes up and does nothing and the settings are still there.

I'm about ready to go full nuclear and pull the car battery and every last ******* fuse to reset this bitch, but that would be kind of annoying if I reset something else related to the car, such as, say, the maintenance minder. So is there a way I can cut power to the HFL system specifically so I can hard reset it?

If this were a normal computer malfunctioning in this way this would be my last ditch "pull the plug and hard reboot" troubleshooting step before giving up and calling a senior IT (I myself am a junior IT guy) Unfortunately I'm not sure what such an action entails on the car.

EDIT: So basically, what was happening was any time I clicked "Yes" or "OK" on any of the confirmation screens for deleting information or pairing new phones with the HFL, the system would freeze, the only way to get it to respond was to back out of the option you just selected and incidentally cancel the operation. So, was effectively stuck. I eventually decided "**** it" and disconnected the car battery for about 30 minutes. The HFL system ended up resetting to default amongst other things but at least everything is working and I was able to pair my phone with no trouble. I have to go through the vehicle information tomorrow and make sure settings such as maintenance minder and my door/key/lights settings haven't been reset, and I have to rebuild my speed dial/voice tags list, but since I only have 3 or so people I bother using that for it shouldn't be too hard.

What a waste of a perfectly good Tuesday evening.
    Last edited by AurigaNexus; 10-08-2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Found solution

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Removing fuse A29 (hot at all times) under the hood should do the trick too.

How to hard reset Bluetooth HFL - 2012 Civic EX-capture.jpg
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    We have a '15 Civic and an '18 Accord, and getting my phone to pair with either of them can be a crap-shoot.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    We have a '15 Civic and an '18 Accord, and getting my phone to pair with either of them can be a crap-shoot.
    I thought it was just me....
    When my '12 Civic sedan was new. The bluetooth phone would connect seamlessly.
    But a couple of years ago something changed and now as you say it is a crap shoot, but literally...
    I was thinking the phone is the problem as the BT connection is flaky with my land line phone's BT as well.

Once the phone no longer pairs with the car. I have to clear the phone data from the hfl and visa versa.
    Only then will the two pair up after initiating the add a new device routine.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)