Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)

Greenhorn

Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)

Hey guys just wanted to make a post on the ambient dome light install, this install uses all oem parts.
    my 2011 crz had this feature and wanted to add this to my si.
    installed on a 2012 civic si.

NESSESARY TOOLS!
    trim removal tool
    phillips and flat screwdriver
    soldering iron
    tweeters
    electrical tape
    multimeter
    plastic weld or super glue
    wire strippers

NESSESARY OEM PARTS!
    honda unit with the ambient light
    misc honda interior connector
    (can get from pick and pull yard or online)
    I was fortunate to have all parts lying around,
    light unit used for parts was from honda oddesy 2014ish year not sure,
    dark grey wire pigtail that is used for the radio connectors.

First thing was to remove the dome light unit and disconnect the wires. Then take apart the both units with the buttons down to the circuit board (its pretty simple there just few clips on two of the sides).

NOTICE: careful when removing the buttons, the sun roof button just pulls off but the light switch has clips on the sides. Learned that the hard way broke both of them, luckily one just broke in half not at base and still can move switch just had to use a lot of glue to the circle base. Circled in red is what moves the switch. Circled in blue is where the extra glue was added to hold the switch in place. (only temp fix).
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_000238.jpg

the one on the right is the si unit
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_220203.jpg

next step is to solderer the led and the tiny resistor(steady hands and a fine soldering point helps)
    note: that the led has a little notch on the edge side
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_223819-1.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_224157.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_224344.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_225030.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_230933.jpg

Comparing the inside of the hole the parts unit has a light diffuser molded in, will be cutting that out and gluing it into the good unit.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_220624.jpg

Next step is to carefully drill out the hole using dermal tool with small drill bit.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_233647.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-out-order.jpg

continued in part 2...

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn

Ambient center console light OEM! (part 2)

continuing...

Next step cut out the part that holds the plastic light diffuser.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-1.jpg

Also I separated the clear plastic by grinding down the little bit of gray plastic melted on top holding it to remove to not scratch while trimming and gluing down the mount.

Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-2.jpg Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_234256_001.jpg

Test fit in the good unit
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_234312.jpg
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_234529.jpg

Used a razor to give a mechanical adhesion for the super glue, I usually don’t use super glue but the part is small and light should be enough to hold it.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_234914.jpg

Used a small drop on one of the legs to hold it and align it, then removed the clear plastic and added glue all around. Then left to dry.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_003202.jpg

Looks oem minus the little spot where the drill went little bit too far.
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_003841.jpg

continued in part 3...

Greenhorn

Ambient center console light OEM! (part 3)

continuing...

Next step is to get the pig tail to remove one of the wires. Use a small screwdriver to lift up the black piece on the back and you will have to de-pin one of the wires. After some testing, on the connector for the switches, if you look at the connector with the clip part facing you the wire with the green arrow is the power wire already there for you, all you need to do is add the ground, the wire you de-pinned from the parts connector will go in the last slot (blue arrow), the red wire in between is the ground for the connector, you will tap into the red wire (red arrow), and add your wire (blue arrow wire) to that red wire to ground the led you just added.
    (connect blue arrow wire to red arrow wire)
    Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-3.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190502_231418.jpg

Last step is to test, and then reassemble
    Note: make sure to turn on the lights to city light or to full on to test, will not be lit in off position for lights.

Initially when testing it out the pink wire completed a circuit for the led but after tapping into it and fully installing, the led would not turn on, took a minute to figure out that I tested it, had the door open and had tapped into the door dimmer wire. Retested it and the red wire was it, so insulated the pink one and tapped into the red one.

Ambient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_214519.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_160027.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_160037.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_160047.jpgAmbient center console light OEM! (part 1)-20190503_160054.jpg

ALL DONE!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I mean great write up but didnt need 3 seperate threads for the parts could have made the other 2 parts replies to the first to seperate them. Great job though man lots of details and pics.
    Follw me on IG: fl_fg4

205 whp
    174 wtq
    Tuned by John Vega at Phearable

Greenhorn
    thanks will know that for next time, had quite a bit of pictures and limit was 10 for each post

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Merged.

The three parts are not in order because during a merge, individual posts appear in the time-order in which they were originally posted.

And yes, there is a limit of 10 pictures for each post, but not thread.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Another merge, and now the parts are in order.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    I would love this one my 2014 EX-L but can't be bothered, I wish there was a factory unit I could replace with this built in

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)