Retrofit headlight review - Precisionworkz
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By alc156

Thread: Retrofit headlight review - Precisionworkz

Greenhorn

Retrofit headlight review - Precisionworkz

I just wanted to throw this review out there and share my experience because I loved how it turned out. I got fully assembled retrofit headlights online from Precisionworkz. This means I didn't have to mail mine in, and drive around with no lights for a few weeks. I am in no way sponsored but I also bought his banner because I love the work so much and wanted to spread the love!

The options I got were: Super Mini H1 projectors, clear reflector lenses, black low/DRL bowls, Morimoto color-changing hals, sequential LED strips. They are pretty pricey (around $850), but for what you get they are amazing. Keep in mind there are black friday sales and I think I got 20% off that price!
    Retrofit headlight review - Precisionworkz-dsc_0037.jpg

Headlight output:
    I was worried getting the Super Mini H1 projectors and not the Morimoto 7.0 H1s, but they turned out amazing still in my opinion. Since they are fully assembled, you don't have to worry about aligning the projectors, and the cutoff line is great. I went with 6k bulbs and also the acme ballasts I had to buy separately. At the time I had a tinted windshield, and these lights helped me see much better at night.

Install:
    This was kind of tricky since both the halos and LED strips had to be connected to power, ground, and the turn signal wires. I ended up tapping into my wiring harness wires for these. It was super annoying but I did not have to cut any factory harnesses. If you have the sequential LED strip, I recommend not connecting the halo turn signal wire. It was a bit much to have the turn bulb, the halo, and the led strip all acting as a turn signal. If you connect the power to the parking light, the halos and strip are always on when the headlights are on. I could not figure out how to wire it so that they are only DRLs, but it doesnt really matter that they are always on.
    I also don't use my DRL bulb anymore, and this harness plugs into the projectors for the high beam. If you have a 14-15 coupe like me, I HIGHLY recommend paying the little extra to have the DRL/high beam bowls painted black. It blends nicely with the black in the grill and looks more aggressive. Also making the turn signal housings from amber to clear gives it a more aggressive look.

Functionality:
    The color changing halos are amazing, and the morimoto phone app is mediocre. The nice thing is that when you turn the headlights off and back on, the headlights default to white so you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving them on and getting pulled over. People at car meets love them, and I think they look super aggressive while driving with the LED strip and the halos on. Also shockingly, if you have the projectors on at night and turn the halo to a different color, you can still easily tell that the halos are on and it looks good.

Final thoughts:
    If I could do it again, I would either get the etched projector lenses for the extra $75-80. He even has some on instagram with some cool Si logos etched onto the projector lenses.

If anyone has questions about doing this I am happy to help. I had never removed or installed headlights before, let alone connect like 10 wires up under the hood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retrofit headlight review - Precisionworkz-dsc_0202.jpg  
    Last edited by alc156; 06-25-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    H82LOS3 and Ron_2015_Civic like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Also, I had a debate with myself whether I should get the RGB bluetooth demon eyes or the halos. It would be pretty pricey to get both, and I am glad I went with the halos. The reason being they can be on all the time when you are driving set to white and really change the look of your car. If you had the demon eyes, they could only be used for car shows and also are not nearly as bright as halos.

If you arent into having color changing stuff in your lights, then just get the switchback halos and the normal LED strip. This will completely transform the look of the front of your car while driving with the main headlights off, and cut down on costs.

Solid stuff. I've followed those guys for a while and have always liked their work. If I ever go that route those are the guys I would use.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    My 2 cents. I use these guys:
    VisionAutoworks.com

They are huge in the RSX community. It started as one guy who used to do our headlights for pretty cheap, maybe 10 years ago(or longer)

He got so much work he started a website called RSX:retrofits, eventually it morphed into Vision. They are %100 legit and their work is quality.I have ordered 3 different lighting assemblies from them over the years, never had a problem.

Downside: there usually a waiting list.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
    My 2 cents. I use these guys:
    VisionAutoworks.com

They are huge in the RSX community. It started as one guy who used to do our headlights for pretty cheap, maybe 10 years ago(or longer)

He got so much work he started a website called RSX:retrofits, eventually it morphed into Vision. They are %100 legit and their work is quality.I have ordered 3 different lighting assemblies from them over the years, never had a problem.

Downside: there usually a waiting list.
    Hell yeah I checked them out and they have some crazy options!

Nooblets
    Great review! I've had my eyes on these for awhile, but not ready to pull the trigger unless they're DOT compliant.

Does anyone know/know where I can find the differences of the projectors and shrouds? So many options, but I'm not sure which each brings to the table!

Nooblets
    Thank you for sharing, Ill check them out
    2015 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN LX AUTO
    MODERN STEEL METALLIC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)