Braking at over 100 causes shaking/ odd pedal feel
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Braking at over 100 causes shaking/ odd pedal feel

Greenhorn

Braking at over 100 causes shaking/ odd pedal feel

First post, just got a 13' Si in February and it's time for me to stop lurking the forums. I have an issue with braking that is only noticeable above 100 mph. 90-95 doesn't cause the issue, just anything over 100. Basically what happens is that the car shakes (one time very violently (was from 133ish), and left me with a stuck caliper on the front right passenger side for 20 mins) when threshold braking (or basically the amount it takes to slow down sternly at that speed, doesn't have to be right before ABS engagement). The pedal feel when this happens is different, sort of harder to press/ stops earlier without the same feel as normal braking, and when the brake locked up I would push in the pedal and hear a "whoosh" similar to closing a bellows. I honestly feel as though when this happens that ABS would not come on if I pressed farther.. It feels as though I am locked out of the ability to use ABS when braking from 100+. I have never braked at the fullest potential of the brake system in this car, so I doubt that the rotors are warped. I'm clueless as to why it only seems to happen above the round 100 mph mark but that seems to be the ticket for it to occur. My brakes have not locked up since, and I have tested it since the front caliper stuck. The car does not seem have the same sensation braking at high speeds as when I first got it, but never felt as composed braking at high speeds as say, my S2K did, it always has kinda shook and felt something as if it was gliding on air to a stop. That's understandable to an extent, but I have never driven a car with braking characteristics like this one. Any ideas? I did not take it to the dealership after the brakes locked up so I'm kinda down to speculation at this point. Thank you for the input!
    team3d likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Baned
    Are you doing some sort of sanctioned racing at a track or just screwing around on the street/freeway?

Greenhorn
    With the speed limits on some of the toll roads I don't exactly feel so bad going 100. Over it is track material but I may have exceeded it alone on the highway late at night on occasion. Public streets are no place for speed, your life is often just half the result of a small mistake..
    teamrubixcube likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I've noticed the same thing and I'm sure it's just the limitations of the stock braking system. Now mine have never locked up or become stuck. Just realize that those are high racing speeds and by no means do you have the quality of parts to withstand that type of driving. Doing this continually without upgrading your braking system will cause failure sooner or later. Don't over do it.
    scottyrocks and Penuwana like this.
    2012 CBP Civic Si Coupe
    *K24Z7 #198
    *POP Crew #18

Upgrade your suspension and install a better brake kit (rotors, pads, calipers - full deal), and you won't notice this anymore. You may also want to upgrade your tires, or at least make sure your tires are evenly inflated. I upgraded my tires to some Yokohama Performance All-Seasons rated up to 168MPH, and I do not notice this around 120, but I also do not brake hard at those speeds. So... maybe I just haven't noticed it yet - I just let the car slow itself down until about 80-90 MPH then start braking (lightly).

P.S. And no, I don't normally drive like this. I've only done it once or twice during the tuning process on a very straight, empty, back country road.
    jtsi2012 and Penuwana like this.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quick summation = because not racecar.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I have the same problem with op. It feel like abs pulsate. If u had warp rotor it would pulsate all the time u brake.

Don't drive over 100, problem solved
    '12 Si Coupe

Greenhorn
    That may be the case, but if the car cannot safely slow down from those speeds over a half mile or so then the brake system is kind of inadequate in that it cannot handle the abilities of the car. On the autobahn this would be a large issue, it's not as though I'm pushing the brake system like I'm on a track or trying to test stopping distances, just rolling down speed wise 500-600 yards from the exit which is another quarter mile worth of braking distance. I don't have to brake hard for this to occur which is why it feels like an issue, especially with the brakes having stuck once as a result of it. In any case this car is honestly disappointing me. My MY01 S did much, much better and instilled much more confidence and although I realize the difference between the two, Honda could have done much more to make this a drivers car..

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    The car is what it is, and apparently you bought a car beneath your needs, at least stock.

If you want to drive over a hunnerd miles-n-hour, get a more high-speed performance oriented car, and head for the track. Or mod the one you have. And head for the track.
    TruckinSI2012 likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)