Hood Spacers May Have Caused BAD Misfire
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By scottyrocks
  • 2 Post By jtsi2012
  • 3 Post By scottyrocks
  • 1 Post By scottyrocks
  • 1 Post By cms21023

Thread: Hood Spacers May Have Caused BAD Misfire

Nooblets

Hood Spacers May Have Caused BAD Misfire

I'm not sure where this should be posted but I felt I needed to post this and let everybody know of my experience of how having hood spacers may have caused a crazy misfire in my engine earlier today. I'll explain the whole story in detail, please read on and consider this post before putting spacers in or if you currently have em. BTW it is pretty lengthy, hahahah

Ill start with my car and performance mods.
    2013 Civic Si Coupe
    -Ct Supercharged Stage 1
    -DW EV14 1000cc injectors
    -Full Bolt on (IHE)
    -Flashpro (Vittuned, been fully tuned for 2 months now)
    - 1/2 inch doiturself hood spacers lmao

So I put on some home depot DIY hood spacers yesterday to see if I liked the way they looked, plus I figured it might keep temps down. It's winter here on the East Coast so idk wtf is wrong with me lmfao -.- Anyways so I started my car on a cold start (35 degrees) today to goto a 711 5 minutes away. Once I get there I leave car running and turn on the heat to full and go inside. 5-10 minutes later I leave to goto a friends house. I exit the 711 lot RIGHT onto the highway get up to like 60 mph and throw it in 6th. Right after, I went to accelerate maybe 50 percent throttle, and as soon as my boost psi goes above 0, BANGGGGG. Super loud ass exhaust pop accompanied by a complete drop in power. I let off gas instantly and shit myself for a solid 10 seconds. Sounded like an normal exhaust pop when driving hard x10. Much louder and VERY BAD sounding. I literally thought my engine might've been ******, it sounded it ssooooo bad. My engine was though and I was able to get to my friends house, but I was so scared I used less throttle then grandma.

Skip forward to when I head home. I plugged in my flashpro, opened up all the sensors on the droid app, and started logging. I let my car almost fully warm up (160) with heater core dry. I turned the heat on full and leave. While driving through his neighborhood to leave I notice my ECT stopped increasing. It was stuck at 167. I stopped at red light to leave and observe temp, it changes to 165 as light turns green and im like wtf ... But i shrug it off and start driving. I get onto highway and see temps increasing to about 180. I decide to reenact the scenario earlier and goto the same 711 and park my car. Im sitting there observing and witnessed my ECT drop from 185 all the way down to 170 in just a FEW minutes, like maybe 3 full minutes. I then realized "holy **** the spacers i put on yesterday...". Then i decided to turn the heat off and see if that had any impact and sure enough, it began to climb again.

So, with that being said, I figured the misfire probably happened due to the engine running too cold combined with F/I kicking in, which made for a very lean air fuel mixture. I left the car idling with heat on full right before it happened. And for atleast double if not triple the amount of time i did in the reenactment. PLUS i drove on cold start too so it probably was colder to begin with. I dont want to know how much my ECT dropped while i was idling there -.- All i do know is that hood spacers are getting the fk off my car. Even if the misfire was completely random, hood spacers are a beyond a waste of a mod that could potentially lead to running too cold during the winter months. Thanks for reading, sorry if i dragged it out too much LOL I hope this helps some think twice before doing a very pointless mod, even if it is just for fun or to see how it looks.

If anybody has any questions feel free to ask, not sure if i messed up my grammar typing this out but its too late to proof read lmao. And if anybody wants to see the logs of my temps dropping lemme know!

Edit: Forget to make something very clear. This explanation is based off my own knowledge and logic, with that being said, I know many people are much more knowledgeable than myself. If this does not seem logical and seems to be the wrong conclusion in your opinion, please say so and explain.
    Last edited by cms21023; 01-08-2016 at 02:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Wow that's a crazy story. I'm not sure if hood spacers would do a such a thing though. What I would do is make a nice long data log and send it to vit or upload on here for someone knowledgeable to analyze it to see what all of your motor is exactly doing.

My .02

Goodluck with your hunt

What he said and i seriously doubt your spacers are the problem
    2013 Civic SI Coupe SOP - HFP Bodykit - HFP 18x7.5 - Skunk2 Megapower RR - K&N Typhoon - Skunk2+Koni springs/struts
    2015 Civic EX Sedan TW - '11 Si axleback

K24Z7 Crew member #2427

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Spacers would not cause this issue
    2013 Honda Civic EX
    White
    5 speed

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    And they're ugly, too.
    Erkon and '13_Si like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I seen one one time and thought the car had been in a wreck. I'm so un-hip/ out of the loop. Had never seen or heard of them until then.
    scottyrocks and slee0730 like this.
    2012 CBP Civic Si Coupe
    *K24Z7 #198
    *POP Crew #18

I am so happy to be un-hip.
    jtsi2012, slee0730 and silvic15 like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Nooblets
    Yeah I emailed vit right away and sent him the log I took after. I'm going to try to log all my driving for a couple days just to be safe. I'm praying everything's fine and I do not encounter a repeat -___-

Is your car behaving like this?

kakedo likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Nooblets
    LOL a lil bit, only the hamster part hahah
    scottyrocks likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)