2012 Civic Si Sputtering Issue
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KDiggityDog76

Thread: 2012 Civic Si Sputtering Issue

Greenhorn

2012 Civic Si Sputtering Issue

Hey Guys. I posted a thread about this previously but I wasn't able to track it down so I'm writing a new one . I have a 2012 Civic Si Sedan with the K24z7. I have a skunk2 CAI, Full Race Catless DP, Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust, and a Complete Vit Tune. I've been having a sputtering issue recently and I can't quite figure out what the issue is. I replaced the spark plugs about three months ago and double checked the gap at .044. I had initial done a valve adjustment as the car is pushing 100,000 miles so I figured it was due. So here's the issue. When the car is idling I occasionally get a small popping sound, like a backfire or sputter. It's not all the time, just occasionally. But when i really get on the accelerator, it will sputter and backfire like crazy. When im driving normally it doesn't seem to be an issue. I always fill up with 91 octane (which is the highest octane available in AZ). It's driving me crazy and I threw a CEL the other day. The car just slowed down with a blinking CEL and sounded like it was firing on 3 pistons. I turned it off after pulling over to the side of the road and cleared the ECU. When i turned it back on it ran ok, but the sputtering was still there on hard pulls etc. I've narrowed it down to a bad coilpack, faulty or damaged injector, or possibly the 02 sensors which I haven't replaced since buying the car. I got a brand new MAP sensor with my aftermarket CAI so I don't think that's the issue. I also double checked the valve clearances and everything seems okay. (.009 intakes, .011 exhaust) I'ts so annoying and i do feel that the car is lacking power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

What CEL are you getting? Have you datalogged and sent to vit?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big Timer!!!
    Shouldn't you get a code if an injector is ****** up? Also a simple test light will let you know if your coil packs are good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Welcome to 9th gen, rb.

In the future, please post new threads only once, and with appropriate titles for the subject matter.

Thanks.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

First off, definitely get in touch with Vit and get him a datalog of a hard pull. If it sputters, you should be able to see it in the rpm trace. It sounds like you might be getting unburned gas hitting the downpipe and then igniting in there. Clogged injectors could result in poor fuel atomization which could result in an incomplete burn upon spark ignition. What if your valves were opening at an inappropriate time relative to the crank position? You never had a timing belt done, did you? That would require a physical disconnection of the cams (and hence valves) from the crank, and if they put it back together incorrectly, the valve opening events could be off. I suppose that could lead to unburned fuel getting out of the cylinders, but it seems like a bit of a stretch.
    Lastly, do check your O2 sensors. If they're all covered in soot, they may be giving a bad reading about the actual mixture richness/leanness. Since Vit needs to know how rich or lean the car is running to properly tune, a bad reading from bad O2 sensors would lead to an incorrect tune.
    Hope this helps!
    OJ Juicizzle likes this.
    ~Sure you could buy an Si and leave it stock, but that would sorta be like paying for a prostitute just to talk~
    Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever figure out what was causing the issue? My car is doing the exact same thing..

Quote Originally Posted by awvz View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever figure out what was causing the issue? My car is doing the exact same thing..
    Considering the OP only made one post and never returned, I'm doubting you will get an answer. You may want to go ahead and describe your problem in full including all the details of your car. Any CEL, etc

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)