Intermittent “safe mode” 2012 si - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Intermittent “safe mode” 2012 si

What brand clutch kit do you have? Have you contacted the company about any of this? Either they can confirm the weight or confirm compatibility with your vehicle?

If you cant get the bolts to stay torqued then you are going to keep having a problem.
    The flywheel bolts are the same for all k-series (90011-pna-b00) so unless the flywheel is too thin or something, the bolt length should not be the issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
    I’m starting to regret going aftermarket clutch.
    I took it to the dealership. The issue happened as they drove it. They said because it’s an aftermarket clutch and flywheel (OEM weight) those are what’s making it go into limp/safe mode. They didn’t show or say anything to back this up.
    Took the car to the shop that I purchase the parts for me. Explained what the dealer had mentioned. Made an appt that following week. The car went into the limp/safe mode for them also.
    Because all codes were saying misfire bank whatever, they checked the fuel system. Pressure and all that. Everything was good.
    The mechanic noticed a very slight vibration. Put it on the lift. Removed the inspection plate. He was able to show me some flex in the fly wheel. He said the flywheel is vibrating to a point that makes it go into the limp/safe mode. They said the bolts had loosened up. (Loosened up with red locktite)?
    So, I pull the trans, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. Checked the tightness of the flywheel bolts prior to removing them. All were 91+ lbs torque. Put all back together this time I added an extra 10 lbs of torque to flywheel and pressure plate.
    Did this on a Saturday, test drove. Didn’t drive Sunday. 75ish miles Monday. Then, Tuesday. First 35 or so miles to work fine. Went to an apt. Within 5 miles it did it’s thing again. Called the shop, explained it’s still doing it. They said they can look at it same day.
    They put it on the lift. Inspect the the flywheel. Guess what? IT’S LOOSE AGAIN!
    Now they are saying the bolts are bottoming out (this is not a 2012 flywheel) I need shorter bolts.

Are the thread lengths different between the 2012 civics, older civics, newer civics?
    Hell, what about the flywheel differences as well?

I’m not mad or frustrated at the shop employees. I’m getting frustrated with the clutch and flywheel companies.
    flex?

if not a '12 flywheel; what year is it for?
    who said the wrong year part would fit?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    The flywheel is Perfection Clutch 50-2891. (It’s for a 2011 Civic) Scanned it at it looks like it’s from Summit Racing.
    The clutch is Competition Clutch (stage 2 clutch kit)

As far as the flex question. The mechanic put a pry bar between the engine and flywheel. He showed me how much movement, wiggle, flex (maybe) play. Up to 1/4 in movement.
    The shop called me this morning. They were looking on some forums and had read that some people had run into this problem. They shortened the flywheel bolts. Apparently, no more issues.

Competition Clutch site shows MPN 8037-2100 is for a 2012 Civic SI. The kit did not fit the stock 12 flywheel. This is the reason another flywheel was ordered.

Got me wondering now. Will a 11 flywheel fit a 12 without any issues?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Cool sounds like they may have got it sorted.

I know there were a bunch of clutches that required the 06-11 flywheel before more kits came on the market.

Let us know how it goes.

The flywheel is Perfection Clutch 50-2891. (It’s for a 2011 Civic) Scanned it at it looks like it’s from Summit Racing.

As far as the flex question. The mechanic put a pry bar between the engine and flywheel. He showed me how much movement, wiggle, flex (maybe) play. Up to 1/4 in movement.
    The shop called me this morning. They were looking on some forums and had read that some people had run into this problem. They shortened the flywheel bolts. Apparently, no more issues.

Competition Clutch site shows MPN 8037-2100 is for a 2012 Civic SI. The kit did not fit the stock 12 flywheel. This is the reason another flywheel was ordered.

That's something I would have never checked without a bunch of noise! Glad you've got it figured out.
    I recently replaced my clutch with a Exedy stage 1 with a lightweight flywheel. I'm pretty sure it's all 11th gen stuff, because every clutch comes with a new flywheel (not common practice for clutch changes on other cars). My clutch is exedy 08806 (Google says for 8th gen Civic Si), I can't remember what the flywheel is.
    At any rate, I have had no issues with this set up.

Sorry but this whole story makes no sense to me...
    I got nothing useful for you other than to say; install an OEM clutch and call it a day.

@Teeps
    The way I read it, the aftermarket flywheel was working itself loose cause the car to trip the misfire detection.
    Sounds the the mechanic sorted everything out though.

Nooblets
    keep us posted i just bought a competition clutch and a stock weight flywheel havent had it installed yet but keep us updated to help other people out

Quote Originally Posted by dpetro1 View Post
    @Teeps
    The way I read it, the aftermarket flywheel was working itself loose cause the car to trip the misfire detection.
    Yeah, I'm having a difficult time believing that story, but I guess it is what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetro1 View Post
    @Teeps
    Yeah, I'm having a difficult time believing that story, but I guess it is what it is...
    I took this as the bolts bottomed out in the crank before reaching the face of the flywheel. This is very believable. I worked for a supplier for Honda for 11 years, we made oil pans, cam holders, rocker shaft holders, water pumps, and numerous other things. We had "Honda calls" for this same thing...one spec being out caused bolts reaching good torque off the bottom of a hole rather than squeezing something together. Honda likes tight tolerances (hence quality and longevity), but the down side is when something is off, it causes problems easier.

Neat thing, I fixed the machines that machined and leak tested my oil pan!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)