steering wheel feelings very loose now?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: steering wheel feelings very loose now?

Nooblets

steering wheel feelings very loose now?

Hi all,

I installed some 20mm wheel spacers and loved the way it stiffened up the steering wheel. The car felt more stable in general. About 3 months later, I noticed the steering wheel is really loose to a point where when I'm going 65-70 on highways, I'll really need to grip the steering wheel hard since it feels like strong winds are pushing the car left and right.

I just got my wheels balanced but after it was completed,the mechanic said a balance or wheel alignment didnt seem like the problem. He suggested possibly the wheel spacers itself or I could replace the steering fluid (but I believe my 2014 civic lx does not using power steering fluid).

Could it be a tire rod issue? When turning the wheel left and right, I do not hear any noise.

Again car is a 2014 civic lx with 67,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions as to what I can try before I remove the spacers?
    Last edited by snahfu; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by snahfu View Post
    Hi all,

I installed some 20mm wheel spacers and loved the way it stiffened up the steering wheel. The car felt more stable in general. About 3 months later, I noticed the steering wheel is really loose to a point where when I'm going 65-70 on highways, I'll really need to grip the steering wheel hard since it feels like strong winds are pushing the car left and right.

I just got my wheels balanced but after it was completed,the mechanic said a balance or wheel alignment didnt seem like the problem. He suggested possibly the wheel spacers itself or I could replace the steering fluid (but I believe my 2014 civic lx does not using power steering fluid).

Could it be a tire rod issue? When turning the wheel left and right, I do not hear any noise.

Again car is a 2014 civic lx with 67,000 miles on it.

Any suggestions as to what I can try before I remove the spacers?
    I had 20mm spacers for about 2 months, took em off. Did NOT like the way it made the car feel steering wise... Just didn`t feel `right`you know... Now I have it lowered a tad on BR racing coils and my mechanic said, it wouldn`t of even fit with the 20mm spacers. 5-10mm spacers MAX is my huge recommendation. 20mm is more for a widebody fully built car that is able to safely take that kind of width. You have to remember that`s an overall 40mm wider stance and stock suspension components cannot handle it all that well. If you start beefing up suspension like tie rods, coils, control arms MAYBE it can pass... But then again like I said any low and you need serious camber to make the wheel fit.

I say sell em and just get wider/more offset wheels man.

Hope it helps.
    2015 Civic Si [email protected]//[email protected]
    IG: its_danscott

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)