A/C Hissing noise. Common?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/C Hissing noise. Common?

Greenhorn

A/C Hissing noise. Common?

2013 Civic SI, i have owned the car for 3 years and bought it at 29,000mi. Ever since the very first day i bought it, when i drive with the A/C on for at least 10/15min and turn the car off i get a hissing/bubbling noise around the compressor area. it never affected the performance of the A/C system but im starting to get tired of people asking why my cars making that sound. i have checked TSB's, Identifix, All Data, and Mitchell with no luck. Any body else have this issue. The best theory i can come up with is maybe an internal leak within the compressor itself

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The sound you describe is probably within the normal range.
    High and low side pressures will equalize over time once the compressor is no longer compressing.
    Hissing noise is common at the expansion valve; should sound similar to a aerosol can discharge.

If it really bugs you take the car to a shop and have the A/C system evacuated, then recharged.

From Honda Service News May of '98

A/C Hissing noise. Common?-capture.jpg
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Totally Normal. My Civic did this noise brand new off the lot. I was tripping out the first time I heard it. Thought it broke a heater hose or Freon line.
    2015 Civic SI Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    The sound you describe is probably within the normal range.
    High and low side pressures will equalize over time once the compressor is no longer compressing.
    Hissing noise is common at the expansion valve; should sound similar to a aerosol can discharge.

If it really bugs you take the car to a shop and have the A/C system evacuated, then recharged.

From Honda Service News May of '98

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	477783
    Thanks for that information! I notice it talks about the possibility of the system being overcharged. Maybe the cheap little dealership i bought it at thought more was better, cause it is relatively loud. Audible from about 20/25 feet away. Regardless if it works good a service wouldn't be a bad idea. If that does nothing, guess ill live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    Totally Normal. My Civic did this noise brand new off the lot. I was tripping out the first time I heard it. Thought it broke a heater hose or Freon line.
    I know what you mean, but since the A/C stayed cold i never worried to much about it. Thanks again.

I wish mine made that noise! That would mean my A/C works again!

completely normal...(this same question was how I found this forum to begin with) but my civic did this since brand new and it still does...although mine only really does it on really hot days in 90+ degree weather.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '15 4dr Accord LX CVT Black

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-sold
    '07 4dr Toyota Camry XLE V6 Silver-totaled

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)