Fuel consumption
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fuel consumption

Greenhorn

Fuel consumption

When I bought my 2012 civic EX at 45000km(28000 miles) last summer I was able to go as low as 6.2l/100km(37.9 mpg). Then the cold winter came and the consumption went as high as 8.5l/100km(27.6 mpg) during the whole winter. And I guess this is normal in winter time. Now the warm weather is back to 27-30 deg Celsius(80-86 Fahrenheit) and I cannot go as low as last summer. I'm stuck at 7.0l/100km(33.9 mpg). I know it is not a big difference but I would like to know what can be the cause ? Same driving habits. Econ was on last summer as it is right now.

Throw whatever you can think of.

- Spark plugs ?
    - Tyres ? they are at about 5-6 32th.
    - Air filter ?

The car is now 62000 km(38000 miles). Oil has been changed as per iMid.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Try sea foam or fuel injector cleaner? Is tire pressure the same now as before? Buying gas from a different location with maybe a higher ethanol content? There's alot of variables to the equation, these are where I would start. I don't suspect anything wrong, but if your goal is fuel consumption, then that's awesome. If you find something that makes a big difference, let us know.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    When did you take the mpg ratings?

I ask because in most places there is a 'winter' gas that turns in considerably worse mpgs than summer gas. If you took the reading right at the changeover point, you could have either missed the changeover, or the car hadn't had time to adjust. These cars have ECUs that need a little time to 'learn' what's changed.
    Teeps likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

My '12 EX sedan gets 21 to 23 MPG, 99% short trip driving...
    I would be happy with anything in the 30's.

Have you replaced the tires?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    My '12 EX sedan gets 21 to 23 MPG, 99% short trip driving...
    I would be happy with anything in the 30's.

Have you replaced the tires?
    These cars seem to be all over the place, mpg-wise.

My '12 LX with a 5AT consistently got 23 to 25 mpg on my daily work commute, and the best I ever got was 42.5 on an all highway ride of about 2 hours.

My '15 LX with the 5MT gets about 28 mpg on the same commute, but the best highway mpg I have been able to achieve has been 38 mpg.

Although both 5-speeds, the AT pulled lower rpm in 5th gear at a given road speed, probably accounting for the greater mpg. But the city driving? I can't account for that consistent ~4 mpg difference in the MT's favor, unless my driving habits in the 5AT and 5MT are that different in slow stop-and-go traffic.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Greenhorn
    @9thgensifamily : You have a good point here. Yes I switched gas station last fall because of credit rebates and incentives. So it might be the cause. Once this tank emptied I will try another gas station.

@scottyrocks : I commute about 40 miles a day. I use a whole tanks at every other week. So I'm pretty sure I have summer fuel in the tank. Thanks for your input. It could have been a factor.

@Teeps : Same tires. They were removed last fall for winter. Most of my commute is a state road. So no stop and go traffic for me. Most of the time at around steady 50 mph.

Forgot to mention I have a 5MT on mine.

So my next step will be to use gas from another station and see. I will also make sure the tire pressure are according to spec.

I will report back with the result.

Thanks for your time !
    scottyrocks likes this.

as other's have mentioned, there are so many variables that account for mileage. one of the biggest variable in mileage besides fuel are tires. what type, the rolling resistance, size, weight of tire are just some of the factors. ambient air temps, including pressure can have an effect on mileage. weight in the car, A/C on or no. traffic, both cabin and engine filters. type of oil used (full synthetic vs. conventional and weight of oil used).

set your tires at factory specs. run a few tanks. log your results for mileage. then, bump up the air pressure 3-5 lbs, then run a few tanks, log the results.

i just went back to using non ethanol, 93 octane fuel (pure gas). cost more. mileage went up from around 38-40 for my morning/afternoon commutes to 44-47 mpg. probably not financially beneficial to me, but the throttle response is much improved, especially when the A/C is on and it's over 90 degrees here. with the regular 87, i can't get out of my own way sometimes (hot outside and A/C on).
    scottyrocks likes this.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

Damn.. I'll keep my old AF 2012 Si...

Fuel consumption-civic-2.jpg
    Fuel consumption-civic-1.jpg
    Fuel consumption-civic-3.jpg

Marko!
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette même fille, dans un Motel!

Greenhorn
    My 2012 EX averages around 32-33 MPG. I use gas from Costco, commute about 80 miles each day, with occasional local trips. I'm at about 120K miles. Econ button doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Teeps likes this.

Yeah, I don't use econ either. All it does it slow acceleration. No improvement in mpgs.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)