charging voltage question.
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charging voltage question.

Greenhorn

charging voltage question.

2015 si, just got flashpro and started tuning with etunez, going great. noticed that my charging voltage is pretty low when cruising. charging at 12.5v. when i let off the throttle it goes up to 14.5v. had the economy mode turned off on the last revision but the same issue. i charged and tested the battery today at work, battery is better than fine. went to go home and service charging system came up and was only charging at 12.1v. checked battery terminals, they were kind of shit so i cleaned them and that issue was gone. thought maybe on the drive home it wouldnt drop below 14v but it still did. anywone else have this issue? i emailed the tuner asking about it but im sure the weekend wont provide any emails back until after the weekend. could this have anything to do with the engine grounds? have a hard time believing that as i have the stock intake and its only 4 years old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The ecu controller the alternator output so you can see anywhere from 12-14v when the car is running. This is normal on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Greenhorn
    Even with economy mode turned off with flashpro? Thought that was the whole point of turning it off?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    tuner seems to think theres a problem since its supposed to stay at 14v with economy off. checked a few grounds , cleaned re installed, cleaned battery terminals even better, still randomly dropping voltage to 12.3-12.6 while driving.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    12.3 - 12.6 volts is perfectly normal. This is called ELD Electronic Load Detection. The cars ECU only charges the battery when needed. In the old days voltage fluctuation could cause issues with injectors not working at 100% do to low voltage. However if your not running a turbo and some ridiculously large injectors I don't think you should have a problem. Only other reason to disable ELD would be if you were running a high output stereo system i.e. a subwoofer and amp.

Greenhorn
    yes, i know all about the eld and how it works. im just curious as to why setting economy mode off on flashpro isnt making the alternator output 14v constantly. im not concerned about the 12v output for now as its not going to effect anything but im starting to think it has something to do with the aftermarket alternator i installed last year.

Greenhorn
    Economy mode has nothing to do with the ELD.

You know how the ELD works but apparently not how Econ-mode works.....

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post

Ok. So what's the point of turning the option off on flashpro? From what I've read its supposed to make it charge at a constant 14v.

Greenhorn
    Econ-mode does 3 things(that I am aware of)

Prevents the AC from running too much, reduces acceleration power from a stop,changes the transmission shift maps.

However if the ECON button isnt enabled,these things shouldn't occur,so I do not know the relevance of disabling ECON via flashpro.

Quote Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post

Believe OP was talking about turning off the FLASHPRO option where stock ECU stops charging the battery at times...to save parasitic load on alternator. Your comments extra funny cause you were kinda demeaning, and OP has a Si! Si don't have a Econ mode button!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)