Check Charging System
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Charging System

Greenhorn

Check Charging System

Hi all,

New to the forum. I just bought a second hand 2014 Civic and its been great except one thing.
    Every-time I start the car, 10 seconds later, "Check Charging System" pops up and battery light come on in the dash.

To my understanding, the system had an ELD which controls when the alternator kicks in and when it does not.
    Whenever I start the car, I get a reading in the 14v's, regardless of what accessories are on, headlights, etc.

I have changed the battery. I have changed the negative terminal battery sensor. I have changed the ELD (in hood fuse box). I have checked all other fuses.

Message still comes on every time.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nenikol23 View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum. I just bought a second hand 2014 Civic and its been great except one thing.
    Every-time I start the car, 10 seconds later, "Check Charging System" pops up and battery light come on in the dash.

To my understanding, the system had an ELD which controls when the alternator kicks in and when it does not.
    Whenever I start the car, I get a reading in the 14v's, regardless of what accessories are on, headlights, etc.

I have changed the battery. I have changed the negative terminal battery sensor. I have changed the ELD (in hood fuse box). I have checked all other fuses.

Message still comes on every time.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for your input.
    What model?
    Any electrical mods?
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    What model?
    Any electrical mods?
    Absolutely no mods at all. It is a 2014 Civic LX.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

In light of the parts you have already replaced.
    And a healthy Honda charging system should not see 14v unless the system is loaded.
    Next likely thing would be the voltage regulator.

Greenhorn
    I acttually put in a new alternator from O'Reillys yesterday. I get some fluctuation, between 13.5 - 14.6V at idle, all consumers off. I believe the voltage regulator is built in the alternator, right?
    The Check Charging System light remains on.

I acttually put in a new alternator from O'Reillys yesterday. I get some fluctuation, between 13.5 - 14.6V at idle, all consumers off. I believe the voltage regulator is built in the alternator, right?
    The Check Charging System light remains on.
    Correct.
    I do not know the quality of an o'reilly alternator; but many aftermarket parts do not play well with some Honda systems...
    Sounds like you will need to consult the service manual for further diagnosis.

Greenhorn
    Thank your for your continuous input and help. Where could I gain access to a manual? Would that be a similar/same manual that honda techs use?

Nooblets
    Thank your for your continuous input and help. Where could I gain access to a manual? Would that be a similar/same manual that honda techs use?
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx (copied the link from @Teeps signature) or the link below
    https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...-Sedan/manuals

Please check the links above and keep us updated
    Last edited by H82LOS3; 08-11-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    2015 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN LX AUTO
    MODERN STEEL METALLIC

Greenhorn
    Alternator charging at 14volts when the message and light come on too?

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz3n! View Post
    Alternator charging at 14volts when the message and light come on too?
    Yes, having the voltmeter connected it is on 14.5-14-6V constantly as soon as the vehicle is started.

I was able to follow the procedure in one of the links and perform a self-check but it does not give me anything conclusive. I get the following message:
    F-CAN --- ERROR
    B-CAN --- OK
    UART --- OK

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)