2012 Civic Weak First Start
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Civic Weak First Start

Greenhorn

2012 Civic Weak First Start

Hi guys, recently I've been having an issue with cold starting my 2012 Honda Civic. This is something that has started recently as the car has not always been like this and typically fires up pretty quick. The car tends to turn over for probably 3-4 seconds before it starts and will sometimes stumble at initial idle, but then straightens itself out. If I turn the car off say 20 seconds after I initially started it and try starting it again, it'll fire up just fine. At first I was thinking it was probably the battery, I checked the voltage and it was around 12.5V, which is not terrible, but also not great. I had a load test done on the battery and the test came back ok. I checked the battery again the next morning and it read 12.46V. Since it was lower than it should be, I replaced the battery anyway, so I can rule that out. With the new battery, It's reading 12.7V after I drove it, and it read 12.7V the next morning before I went to start it (just so I could rule out something that could be draining the battery overnight).

I then read that I could have a bad ground somewhere, this sort of doesn't make sense because it's only the first start of the day that my issue arises. If I had a bad ground, I'd assume I'd have a starting issue every time. But I did go through them and clean up the contact surfaces. My next thought was a bad starting motor, but this also sort of doesn't make sense since its only the first start of the morning that the car turns over longer than it should. I also read that it could be a fuel issue, and that the fuel pressure could be leaking off while the car sits overnight, so I tried turning the car to ACC to let the fuel pump run, and repeated this 4-5 times, but it still did not seem to solve my issue.

So here I am, looking for any insight from you guys. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    It could also be your spark plugs doesn't spark enough fire when you start the car. Try pull them out and look on their conditions...

Greenhorn
    Have no idea but I wonder if it could be related to timing-belt tensioner or vtek-cam timing. I am wondering if after starting once, the oil pressure is built up and puts everything in correct alignment. I don't know much about these engines.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

It could be a number of things. Spark plugs, fuel, or sensors that control the injection system. (Even temp sensor) because of cold start. If you dont want to take it in to the shop I would change the spark plugs and some injection cleaner. If that dont help gotta figure out which sensor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)