Misfire on all cylinders - Limp Mode
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Thread: Misfire on all cylinders - Limp Mode

Greenhorn

Misfire on all cylinders - Limp Mode

Hello everyone, I bought a 2014 civic si august 12th. I test drove the car and checked it over and everything seemed great. I got the car about 75 miles from where I live. On the way home I needed to get gas so I stopped and put 20 of premium gas in and 15 minutes later the car went into Limp mode with all the systems lights flashing like Tpms, auto hill start, power steering etc. I can disconnect the battery cable and the car will reset and drive normal again for awhile then right back into limp mode. I took it to get the codes scanned and it shows that it is misfiring on all cylinders. I've taken it to a Honda dealer close by and they seem to think after a week of having the car that I've gotten bad gas because the pulled samples and said it didnt smell or look right, so they are draining the gas, cleaning the tank and gonna refill with good gas and see if it happens again. Does anyone have any idea if this could be the cause or have experience with a situation like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    For sure it could be. I've seen it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp370 View Post
    Hello everyone, I bought a 2014 civic si august 12th. I test drove the car and checked it over and everything seemed great. I got the car about 75 miles from where I live. On the way home I needed to get gas so I stopped and put 20 of premium gas in and 15 minutes later the car went into Limp mode with all the systems lights flashing like Tpms, auto hill start, power steering etc. I can disconnect the battery cable and the car will reset and drive normal again for awhile then right back into limp mode. I took it to get the codes scanned and it shows that it is misfiring on all cylinders. I've taken it to a Honda dealer close by and they seem to think after a week of having the car that I've gotten bad gas because the pulled samples and said it didnt smell or look right, so they are draining the gas, cleaning the tank and gonna refill with good gas and see if it happens again. Does anyone have any idea if this could be the cause or have experience with a situation like this.
    Hope it's just bad gas and not an aftermarket flywheel & clutch installed by the former owner.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Well I got the car back from the dealer which is 35 miles from my house. Car went into limp mode halfway back with flashing check engine light. I pulled over and and turned the car off and 2 min later back on. The check engine light disappeared and the car has drove fine since. I tried to get it to go into limp mode again so I have put about 70 miles on it and it hasn't happened yet. The only thing I've noticed is my radio has been everytime it's happened but this last time I haven't had the radio on since. The alternator and battery are good I've had them checked. The clutch was actually replaced 4k miles ago before I bought it. As far as knowing what it is I have no idea. What would the aftermarket flywheel mess up?

Well I got the car back from the dealer which is 35 miles from my house. Car went into limp mode halfway back with flashing check engine light. I pulled over and and turned the car off and 2 min later back on. The check engine light disappeared and the car has drove fine since. I tried to get it to go into limp mode again so I have put about 70 miles on it and it hasn't happened yet. The only thing I've noticed is my radio has been everytime it's happened but this last time I haven't had the radio on since. The alternator and battery are good I've had them checked. The clutch was actually replaced 4k miles ago before I bought it. As far as knowing what it is I have no idea. What would the aftermarket flywheel mess up?
    Aftermarket flywheels on these cars cause them to go into limp mode without hondata. I think it messes with the knock sensor or something. It's been covered on here a few times.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    Aftermarket flywheels on these cars cause them to go into limp mode without hondata. I think it messes with the knock sensor or something. It's been covered on here a few times.
    As I understand it, "it" messes with the crank angle data; due to the hysteresis the reduced flywheel mass induces.
    Hysteresis can be a dynamic lag between an input and an output that disappears if the input is varied more slowly; this is known as rate-dependent hysteresis.

The hondata tune, again as I understand, just turns off the misfire count input to the ECM.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    I'm gonna check one evening when I get time to see if I can see a lightweight flywheel. If so I guess that means Flashpro time hah

Greenhorn
    I got the car up on a lift yesterday. I have a stock flywheel ,but I noticed I have a skunk2 downpipe. I guess flashpro is in the near future. It hasn't went into limp mode for over 100 miles now so im starting to think it might be fixed cus I've never got this long without it messing up

I got the car up on a lift yesterday. I have a stock flywheel ,but I noticed I have a skunk2 downpipe. I guess flashpro is in the near future. It hasn't went into limp mode for over 100 miles now so im starting to think it might be fixed cus I've never got this long without it messing up
    Congrats on stock flywheel! Why flashpro now?

Greenhorn
    I figured Flashpro would be better now since the car has a Skunk2 downpipe. Would give me the best benefit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)