Air Conditioning acting erratically
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Air Conditioning acting erratically

Greenhorn

Smile Air Conditioning acting erratically

I own a 2013 Civic EX-L with Navi and climate control AC
    I purchased the car new. It currently has 160,000 trouble free miles on it.

Recently I noticed that the AC in my car is acting erratically. It will start off ice cold as it has always run.
    Then after a while--the AC air becomes warmer and warmer--it is still air flow from the AC unit but it gets warmer.I keep turning down the temperature but it doesn't improve the coldness of the AC by very much at all.
    Then I will stop the car and park for a while ( like 30 minutes or so) and when I get back in the car--the AC will work perfectly again--sometimes for the rest of the day; sometimes for just a few miles then it repeats the warming cycle.
    Around town it will work perfectly sometimes. Other times it struggles to cool.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with my AC?

I am trying to avoid going to a mechanic that will want to replace the entire system when possibly a repair (IE: Sensor or expansion valve or tube of some sort) may repair the issue.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I love my little car and want to keep it running as it has always run--like new!

Thank you again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rascars View Post

Recently I noticed that the AC in my car is acting erratically. It will start off ice cold as it has always run.
    Then after a while--the AC air becomes warmer and warmer--it is still air flow from the AC unit but it gets warmer.I keep turning down the temperature but it doesn't improve the coldness of the AC by very much at all.
    Then I will stop the car and park for a while ( like 30 minutes or so) and when I get back in the car--the AC will work perfectly again--sometimes for the rest of the day; sometimes for just a few miles then it repeats the warming cycle.

I am trying to avoid going to a mechanic that will want to replace the entire system when possibly a repair (IE: Sensor or expansion valve or tube of some sort) may repair the issue.

I love my little car and want to keep it running as it has always run--like new!

Thank you again!
    If you haven't done these things yet, I recommend that you do.
    1. Check/replace the cabin air filter.
    2. Are you seeing water on the ground from the evaporator drain tube - if not, it maybe clogged.
    3. Go to any shop that services Air Conditioning & have them check the Freon level.
    2013 Civic Si /// 2019 Pilot EX-L

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Technically, Freon, a brand name of a type of refrigerant, hasn't been manufactured or used here in years because of its ability to damage the ozone layer. The most commonly used refrigerant today is R-134.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Thank you for your response. I do keep the Cabin Filter changed regularly .
    I will look for the condensation. And I will have the refrigerant levels checked out.
    Thank you again !! I appreciate your time

Without diagnostic tools and data this will be near impossible to repair.
    When the A/C is in the failed condition do this:
    Air Conditioning  acting erratically-capture.jpg

If there are DTCs, click the link in my sig below to access the online service manual troubleshooting.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Greenhorn
    I am guessing that the evaporator is icing-up over time.
    I believe a low gas-charge will cause icing-up.
    Advanced-Auto or AutoZone sell the R134 kit with a gauge on the hose. The gauge will low if the charge-level is low.
    Another thought is if your compressor-clutch is on all the time of very-often, this would indicate a low-charge.
    At idle the compressor should cycle on and off, periodally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_2015_Civic View Post
    I am guessing that the evaporator is icing-up over time.
    I believe a low gas-charge will cause icing-up.
    Advanced-Auto or AutoZone sell the R134 kit with a gauge on the hose. The gauge will low if the charge-level is low.
    Another thought is if your compressor-clutch is on all the time of very-often, this would indicate a low-charge.
    At idle the compressor should cycle on and off, periodally.
    Evap icing was my first thought too, except the OP states that air still flows, but is warm.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    Technically, Freon, a brand name of a type of refrigerant, hasn't been manufactured or used here in years because of its ability to damage the ozone layer. The most commonly used refrigerant today is R-134.
    Actually, because of the popularity of the name "Freon" its name coverage has been expanded to cover both R12 and R-134 and a host of other non automotive refrigerant types, by the owners(DuPont/Chemours) of the trademarked name. This was done 2 maybe 3 years ago.
    Aviator6 likes this.

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by rascars View Post

Thank you again!
    Like it or not,with out the proper equipment it is a guessing game, Google a shop and go with your gut.....
    Teeps likes this.

Greenhorn
    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)