2012 Hybrid 1.5L AC Compressor Locked
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 9thgensifamily
  • 1 Post By Teeps

Thread: 2012 Hybrid 1.5L AC Compressor Locked

Greenhorn

2012 Hybrid 1.5L AC Compressor Locked

Hey everyone,

My 2012 Honda Civic MX 1.5L’s Ac compressor locked. I had a no start condition and it ended up being the ac compressor locking preventing the engine from starting. I have currently bypassed the ac compressor by having a shorter serpentine/drive belt. New compressors go for $600+ and I can’t afford that option currently.

Is there anyway salvage what I have with a new pulley or bearing or something like that?

Basically it’s not turning and jammed.

However I would say functionally that the AC would work if it were not locked and able to spin freely as it were before.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to just replace the pulley or bearing to solve the issue.

Again, because this is a hybrid a new compressor costs a fortune 😞

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Sorry, but when an AC compressor locks up, it is due to internal damage and there is no easy fix. Unplugging the electrical connector to the compressor clutch should allow the pulley to spin freely unless the clutch is damaged also.
    2013 Civic Si /// 2019 Pilot EX-L

I was wondering about the compressor clutch myself, but don't know how all the hybrid stuff works.

I vote for calling some junkyards, I found a few that can get just about anything through their Network, and handle parts with care.
    Aviator6 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The hybrid A/C compressor is not a simple component.

2012 Hybrid 1.5L AC Compressor Locked-capture.jpg

If the internal works have failed. The A/C system will have contamination and MUST either be cleaned of all the debris. Or, contaminated parts replaced.
    Most dealers will not even attempt to clean a condenser or evaporator. Because there is no reliable way to ensure they clean.
    Aviator6 likes this.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)