Emission/Power Steering/VSA Lights All Turned On Suddenly?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Teeps

Thread: Emission/Power Steering/VSA Lights All Turned On Suddenly?

Nooblets

Emission/Power Steering/VSA Lights All Turned On Suddenly?

Hey all. Just a few days ago, a couple minutes into my drive I got a “check” notification for three systems simultaneously: emissions system, power steering system, and VSA system. No obvious causes, car still seems to be running fine (though it is forcing traction control off, likely due to whatever issue the VSA system is throwing). I wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary when these lights came on. My car is essentially bone stock: 2012 Si (coupe), with the only ‘mod’ being a Hondata FlashPro (running the Hondata stock reflash) and some aftermarket lights. I’ve already tried swapping the tune back to Honda’s stock one but the lights immediately came back. After a bit of searching, it seems I’m not the only person that has had these three lights turn on simultaneously... Many other users suggested it’s tied to aftermarket HIDs being installed without a relay/harness. I have aftermarket HIDs installed (I believe these ones, 9005: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NZ6F2/ ) without a relay/harness.

Do you think this might be the issue I’m having? Would installing a relay/harness potentially fix my problem? If so, what relay/harness do I need/should I get?

Something like this: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hd-relay-9005.html or would something cheaper like this work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRVFKZY/ ?

I’m pretty clueless when it comes to car stuff so any help would be very much appreciated. Is there any way to test if these might be a good fix (for example, could I just disconnect my lights and see if the error lights go away? Or would that not work?)?

Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

I’ll try to pull error codes with my flashpro tonight, but when I quickly checked I didn’t see any error codes (maybe I’m doing something wrong? Had it hooked up like I was uploading a tune and clicked “error codes” and it was blank).

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. Many thanks in advance!
    2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl.
    VitTune in progress!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

As always; start with the battery.
    Make sure the battery is good by having it fully charged, then load tested.
    Make sure all the battery cable connections (both ends) are clean and secure.
    fahnix and Aviator6 like this.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    As always; start with the battery.
    Make sure the battery is good by having it fully charged, then load tested.
    Make sure all the battery cable connections (both ends) are clean and secure.
    Not sure how to load test a battery (I assume I’d need some sort of equipment? A voltmeter?), but all of the connections look clean and secure from what I can tell. The battery is pretty new as well - probably about 7-8 months old. Purchased from Costco.

Any other suggestions would be really really appreciated! I want to order a relay/harness but I’m still unsure of what kind I need exactly - if anyone can figure it out based on the aftermarket lights I installed, I would very much appreciate it!
    VitTune in progress!

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    You can go to one of the auto parts stores and have them test it for you. Pretty much anyone who can sell you a battery can test it in my experience.

Have you tried changing out the HID for standard bulbs to see if that clears the issue?

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by fahnix View Post
    You can go to one of the auto parts stores and have them test it for you. Pretty much anyone who can sell you a battery can test it in my experience.

Have you tried changing out the HID for standard bulbs to see if that clears the issue?
    I haven’t tried changing them out yet because it’s a fairly involved process and I wanted to rule out other options first. Do you think simply disconnecting them would be enough? Or would I have to swap lights to really test it?

I finally grabbed an error code from my car - P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected. I’m assuming this is why all of these lights came on, but I still don’t see how a cylinder misfiring would interfere with power steering or VSA... regardless, it’s something to go off of. A quick google shows that this is usually caused by a bad spark plug.

What are your recommendations? Should I bring it to a Honda dealer and tell them what I know (difficult because most people can’t just pull codes from their cars... I only could because I have a Hondata FlashPro)? Or should I play dumb and just have them take a look at it?

So many questions but I appreciate all of the help!
    VitTune in progress!

Your car is out of warranty, plus it sounds like you have hacked the ECM.
    So you have nothing to gain by "playing dumb", as either way you are going to pay.

Does your car have any other mods, like light flywheel?

If you are up to it troubleshooting a bad plug or coil is as easy as swapping the #1 plug with say #3.
    Clear the code and drive the car. If the problem switches to P0303, you found the problem with the plug.
    If not; you swap the coil and repeat.
    Beyond that you will need to get the full troubleshooting off the Honda web site.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)