9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Rough Negotiations, but I got her !

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  a.ultimo 
#1 ·
Whew, 2012 EX Civics with Navi are hard to find. I had to travel 2 hours into another state and threaten to walk out TWICE before we shook on a deal! The wife said no cash so I was left trying to trade-in my rusted, but excellent running 1995 EX Accord (v6, 188k miles). The first offer was for 700 bucks. I know I could sell it from my house for 2k easy but my wife said NO CRAIGSLIST buyers. I held out, dude came back with 1,000 buck final offer he said. Payment would be 439.99 for 60 months at 2.9%. I told him we were too far apart, I couldn't go more than 400.00 I got up and went towards the door. He says "come on, have a seat, have a seat,, let's look at this..." "Even if you had 2,000 cash I couldn't get to 400.00" I said "that's odd because at my house, using your online calculator, it was working out for me just fine." He looked at my trade-in again,,, says "man, you're killing me" and says 409.99 and that's all I can do." I TOOK THE DEAL. The navigation system is SWEET. It does a lot more than just Navigate. What an incredible machine this car is. The sales manager never spoke to me again which was odd. Not sure why he was so annoyed, I didn't force him to sell his last EX with Navi ! Usually they treat you like a King once you make the purchase, dude was a bit of a douche! Love the car, enjoyed the 2 hour ride home in it!

#2 ·
Good job! And welcome to the forums! You are a very skilled negotiator, and welcome to the forums! I don't like most salesmen, I've met a few I don't like. Sometimes they don't understand it's just business and take it personally when you out wit, and yes I do mean OUT WIT, them.

#5 ·
As a fellow 2012 civic owner AND and a honda salesman, I have to point out, that the sales guy is not always in control of the deal...they really are put in the akward place of being the middle man between you and the manager. I don't know how many times I have had to do the walk of dread when a customer still has not approved a deal...and I know that I am going to get sternly talked to by my manager for even coming back there. Lose lose situation. Then, please think of this. Was the salesman helpful? did he spend a lot of time with you and answer all your questions? depending on the dealership (if it is not high volume, as mine is a low volume store) you may only sell 5 or 6 cars in a month. new cars tend to only make the salesman between $100 to $175 (at least on cars like the civic and fit and accord) and that is if they didn't need a closer or another salesman, then it gets whittled down even more. Basically, it is nice to keep in mind that as you try to get the price down, the dealership will stop where they still make a profit, and everyone wins but the salesguy. He just gets to sit there and watch his commission slowly go to nothing. I just got my paycheck for 2 weeks of work, and it was only $540. Less than minimum wage. Luckily my Fiance has a good job or I could not live on my pay during the slow times.

#9 ·
:welcome: Markey! Congrats on the negotiations. There is another thread to talk prices if you would like, i think its in the general chat section.

This should be to WELCOME you to the forum, not talk numbers! Hope you enjoy the car! i got an EX myself, but no Navi...minor regret, but originally i was shopping for an LX. Fiancee said no extra until she learned she could have a sunroof (which we had on our trade in) so she wanted the EX..haha, but just couldnt afford the extra to get the Navi...Oh well.

Any Mods planned? Good luck with the Civic!:eusa_dance:

#12 ·
Hi Don, Final price was 22,250.00 STICKER was 22,750 . It also had mud flaps and wheel locks which are about 475 in extras. THE DEALER now has WHEEL LOCKS on all of his cars because they lost 4 SETS OF TIRES from brand new Honda's! Somehow, people came in the middle of the night and put 4 of their new cars up on blocks! There have been better deals around the country according to my research, but here on the East Cost, getting Honda dealers to move on their pricing is hard under normal circumstances. If you factor in the shortage of 2012's, there's not much movement at all. The biggest BEEF with the sales manager was over my trade. He basically had to DOUBLE his initial offer. They also had to come down from 4.1% and give me the 2.9% The actual salesman was cool and nice and he was happy with the deal (of course). I was just shocked that the Sales Manager didn't talk to me again after my purchase. At Nissan, they gave me a gift and walked me out to the car when I finally left after all the paper work. MIKE PIAZZA in LANGHORNE, Pa. Not exactly enthusiastic after a deal! (so it was my car (1350.) and 60 months for 409.99 I really like the dashboard with the Navi, so many toys so little time!

#14 ·
I'm stating what the second sticker on the window had for EXTRAS... mud flaps and wheel locks listed at 175.00 and 300.00 . If they can be purchased someplace else much cheaper, that's great. However, this is a dealer lot with a guarantee on those parts. I wasn't able to "shop around" for parts as these where already included on the car. Perhaps I should've had him take them off, then buy the same parts from Ebay? I'm sure the Navigation system isn't 1500 wholesale either. In fact, maybe next time I'll just buy all the parts to the entire car separately and assemble them myself at home, that should save a few more thousand!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.