Civic EX vs Corolla LE - Page 3
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Civic EX vs Corolla LE

Quote Originally Posted by Juando290 View Post
    As someone that sells both cars, gets an employee discount on both (and got a civic hybrid), I feel like I should chime in. Yes, both engines will run like a charm for quite a while, and both honda and toyota are using the same transmissions that they have had forever, because of their "if it is not broke, why fix it" mentality.

First, the non tangible and design. Overall, the carolla is a little quieter, but the new civic is much better than its previous versions in that respect. Interior on the civic, while some have complained about it, is still a step up from the carolla. Overall, the civic handles slightly better than the LE. I also have noticed that even the rear seats, if you fold them down and then try to twist the entire seat structure in your hands, they are very flimsy and rattle, completely solid on the civic, so the build quality is a little nicer on the civic. (even the carollas front seat belts are bolted directly to the frame with nothing hiding them, on the civic the fit and finish is a bit nicer, with the seat belt covered and attached to the seat

Other considerations.
    if she ever tries to sell it, AGL residual values are as follows:
    EX civic after 36 months - 54% of original value, Carolla is at 48%
    after 60 months, the civic will be at 41% compared to 37% on the Carolla.

obviously the civic wins in gas mileage...with a combined highway and city of 32 compared to a combined of 29 on the LE carolla.

Both have same factory warranty.

Civic is drive by wire electronic throttle, and electronic power steering, no hydrolic pump to worry about or have serviced like on the carolla, plus no wasted power trying to turn a hydrolic pump in the first place.

both have the same 13.2 gallon tank, but with the lower fuel economy on the carolla, you will be getting gas more often.

LE Carolla has drum brakes in back, compared to disk on the Civic, so the civic wins there.

Both have the exact same turning diameter.

Overall the civic has better crash test ratings.
    The civic on the left and the carolla on the right.

overall - 5 - 4
    overall front - 5 - 4
    overall side - 5 - 5
    side barrier - 5 - 5
    side pole - 5 - 3
    roll over safety - 4 - 4

Fold down arm rest for the back passengers is not available on the carolla LE and standard on the EX civic.

No anti theft system on the stereo on the carolla, standard on the civic.

Moon roof standard on EX, option on the LE

Auto headlights with auto off standard on EX, not available on LE

the civic is lower, but offers more hiproom in the second row, more leg room in the front, and more shoulder room in the front as well. Carolla has almost an inch more headroom in front though.

Civic has a 3 inch longer wheel base, so a little more stable.

And finally, alloy wheels are standard on the EX, and an option on the LE.

Those are the ones that jump out at me, but overall, the civic just seems like a clear choice.

Not that there will be a huge difference in some of the options but at the price point of the Civic EX you should have been comparing the Corolla S model trim line which does have things like alloy wheels etc etc. Either that or compare the Corolla LE to the Civic LX which also doesn't have alloy wheels etc etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batman900 View Post
    Not that there will be a huge difference in some of the options but at the price point of the Civic EX you should have been comparing the Corolla S model trim line which does have things like alloy wheels etc etc. Either that or compare the Corolla LE to the Civic LX which also doesn't have alloy wheels etc etc.
    Reason why the LE gets matched with the EX is because theyre in the same class. If you wanted to compare the Corolla S then it would have to be the SI which are both in Sports Compact Car Class.

So, I drive a 2012 Civic LX. My work's fleet vehicles are 2012 Corolla LEs so I drive them A LOT. Essentially these are equivalent trim models of the car. When I get in the Corollas I am sooo glad I bought a Civic and here is why.

- AVG. 5 more mpg in Civic. 38-42 in the Civ, 32-35 in the Corolla.
    - IMID Display and I-Pod hookup. The Corolla's have stereos that looks like its from the 90's and a sad little aux port.
    - Stearing Wheel Controls and Heads Up display
    - Eco Boost. It really works, if you turn it off you get the same MPGs as the corolla.
    - 5 spd auto. and Grade-Assist. Way better than corolla 4 speed. (More gears = less searching for correct gear) I drive in the mountains a lot and LOVE the grade assist. I dont have to ride my brakes like crazy and still get good MPGs.
    - Oil Changes/ Services. 18,000 Miles on the civic. 2 oil changes (computer monitors oil condition very well and tells you when you need to change it). No services for 100,000 Miles! = low cost of ownership.

Overall the civic feels faster (w/o eco on), stiffer suspension, more fun to drive, more modern, and Honda stuck with what works. The 1.8 with a 5spd, this thing will last forever if treated right.

Granted they are very similar cars but take it from somebody who has ACTUALLY DRIVEN BOTH (18,000 on my Civic, probably put 3,000 on Corollas) The Honda is WAY more fun and youthfull. They will both last forever but I <3 my Civic.

Soapbox over. Thanks,
    Last edited by Jlaw3000; 05-10-2012 at 11:16 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    Reason why the LE gets matched with the EX is because theyre in the same class. If you wanted to compare the Corolla S then it would have to be the SI which are both in Sports Compact Car Class.
    Well if that's the case then I guess it should be added that when comparing the MSRP of the two above, the Corolla is about 2700 cheaper. Anyways, I don't think the guy is even checking back on this thread anymore.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    Well on paper....
    Price wise the corolla is about 1-2.5k cheaper.
    Corolla has 4-speed auto trans versus the 5-speed auto trans.
    The LE is 3-5 miles less to the gallon.
    The LE doesnt have a Sun/moon roof.
    The LE doesnt have bluetooth.
    Both dont have fog lights.
    I've mentioned the cheaper part on my first post :P

- 5 spd auto. and Grade-Assist. Way better than corolla 4 speed. (More gears = less searching for correct gear) I drive in the mountains a lot and LOVE the grade assist. I dont have to ride my brakes like crazy and still get good MPGs.
    I really dig this feature, every time I go down hill and I start slowing down because of traffic the transmission upshifts to use engine power to slow down the car. At first I thought it was quite weird because there's little mention about this feature in the owner's manual. No doubt the Civic is the better car. Corolla is just blah, too conservative. Even the "S" looks like a modded granny car. The Civic is fun to drive and technology wise it is way ahead of the Corolla. Econ mode, ambient driving system, state-of-the-art dash with iMid, fully independent suspension, i-VTEC, ACE safety structure, it's just a better engineered car.
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

Quote Originally Posted by Binx View Post
    Try the new impreza, awd will similar fuel milage from a peppier motor. Priced within that range I believe, havnt looked in a while. The new focuses are nice. Sorry Im a little biased against hondas automatic gearbox. Feels crappy and clunky Imho. 2012 SI runs sweet,2011 CRV meh, wifes 2009 civic lx feels like the tranny is slipping evertime you decelerate and then apply throttle. I drove a 2012 civic ex auto and its still the same thing. I guess its a love hate type of thing. But I try not to drive her car because I hate the way it feels. It will last forever and is a good car but that doesnt excuse that it drives like poo. Oh, I drove a 2010 elantra the other day and similar price to the civic but way nicer, interior,tech,tranny, I was very impressed. Take some others for a spin 1st.
    At the end of the day it's about the driver's perception. I, for one, test drove the Elantra and thought it was a p.o.s. just like most of the Korean cars out there. Just because European designers put new sheet metal on Korean engineering doesn't mean you're getting a better driving experience. The Elantra handles rough on town roads that are in substandard shape. Same goes for speed bumps and potholes. It feels like the whole car is "skipping". Sharp cornering on the highway ramp, even at 20 km/h, is mediocre at best because of the solid beam suspension that Elantras have (this is where you really appreciate independent suspension). The engine in the Elentra is underpowered and doesn't sound as refined as the Civic. At low rpms it's ok but once you push it it sounds like a cheap Chinese engine. The interior is definitely a step up from the previous model but then again the benchmark of the previous model was low to begin with. Just saying.... Hyundai is able to deliver more for less but there's a good reason for that: lower deck engineering. Some people couldn't be bothered by this as long as they're saving money. Others appreciate the engineering quality of the Civic. It's all about individual choices.
    Last edited by tb2point0; 05-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

Quote Originally Posted by tb2point0 View Post
    ...Others appreciate the engineering quality of the Civic. It's all about individual choices.
    This is exactly what lead me to put the Civic at the top of my list if I decide to trade in my current car. I drive a Mazda6 now and I love the car. But it is six years old with 105k miles. It drives and handles nicely, has a decent Bose sound system and gets 28MPG mixed driving. The interior design is great and there's soft-touch material on the dash and tops of the door panels, but the Civic feels like a bank vault compared to the 6. I've got a ton of rattles that have been present from very early in the car's life. It's obvious that Honda has sweated the details that matter. Build quality of this car is excellent. The engine is a marvel of reliability and efficiency. To get within 1MPG of the class competitors that are using CVTs, new-tech 6-speed transmissions and direct injection is very impressive for a seemingly low-tech 1.8liter SOHC engine, albeit with a lof of advanced thinking in design and materials. I've always admired Honda's attention to the way the car is assembled. They may have cheapened up some of the interior bits, but it's still a very well put together car that should last as long as you desire to keep it around.

KBB said it best: The Civic is the class choice for the connoisseur. I consider myself a bit of an OCD person. I notice the fine details: Sound of doors closing, engine/drivetrain noises, sound and tactile feel of switches and buttons, steering feel and response. The Civic nails all of these. Resale value of the Civic is also amazing, and another very big reason to consider it to replace my current car. A ten year old Civic with 150k miles is worth nearly as much as my 6 year old Mazda with 105k miles.

As for the Corolla, it is indeed reliable and has good resale value. That's about all the good things I can say about. I've never driven the current generation, but nothing about that car interests me in the least bit. The interior looks 10 years old, the engine sounds noisy and the styling compared to the Civic is ancient.

Structural integrity/rattle free nature of the new Civic

My gf's '05 Suzuki Forenza has finally given up the ghost so it's time to get serious about a new car. I get a company car for work so this will be entirely hers. We've been looking at all the usual suspects in the compact fuel economy class and the Civic EX-L Navi is at the top of the list. We are the type of people that will buy this car and hopefully see it click over 200K on the odometer. We're meticulous on maintenance and upkeep but want a 'nice' car in this category. Yeah, the Elantra is a nice looking car with some uplevel features but I'm still a little skeptical that the new Hyundais will last that long. Here are a few questions I have on the new Civic...

1) How is the build quality/tightness of the interior? I know I've read that there has been cost cutting in regards to the hard touch surfaces but one thing we can't stand in a new car is a bunch of rattles/creaks/squeaks/etc. How is the car in this regard?

2) Is the EPA fuel economy rating attainable in the real world? A lot of the manufacturers seem to be advertising 40mpg on the highway but a few in particular are actually reporting back significantly less in the real world. Can the Civic, if driven moderately, get in the mid to high 30s on the highway?

3) How is the ride quality? While we want a car that handles well I think in this type of vehicle a more compliant ride is a bigger prioirty. How would you compare the ride quality?

Thanks in advance for everyones opinion! I did a search and found some mixed results so I thought it prudent to ask here.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

I have had my EX coupe for almost a year now and I LOVE IT! Answering your questions, build quality could be better, but its not something that constantly bothers me. Plus, it's not a surprise to see hard plastics in a car of this class. As for the solidarity of everything, it has held up great. no squeaks or rattles to report. Road noise isn't even all that bad. Real world gas mileage is also right on par w/ the EPA ratings (usually better in most cases). I average right around 32 in mixed driving, and I can be lead footed at times. Ride quality is pretty good although I think cars like the focus and cruze ride better. Consumer Reports described it as a busy ride, and I think that's a pretty good description, but its really not bad. As for driving dynamics, it's great. The engine is beautifully smooth and pulls hard for only having 140 hp (the exhaust note adds a nice touch as well), and handling is also great. The only thing I've noticed is that there is some body roll when taking turns a little fast. In the end, Civic is really the only choice in my opinion. Its got the reliability, great real world gas mileage, and it still has that special "something" that makes me, and hopefully you guys, love Honda's! You should have no trouble making it to 200k in this car. Heck, it may even go another 200k after that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)