Looking to purchase a 2012 Civic LX - please advise - Page 2
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a 2012 Civic LX - please advise

Greenhorn
    I just leased my Civic LX. The dealer quoted me at $17,200, but I'm still in school and have only a sort of steady job--wanted to buy really badly, but basically my financial situation can't really handle it right now. I'm happy with the lease. Not sure how I'll feel three years from now, if I'll want a faster car, a more luxurious car, etc.
    Definitely test drive both cars. I'm a huge Honda fan personally, so I'll tell you to get the Civic obviously haha. Mine is a sedan with manual transmission, and there's nothing like the feeling of a great Honda stick. The interior is super roomy, (I'm 6 foot and 220lbs), REALLY tech updated with a base model including USB, i-Mid, and steering wheel controls and just LOOKS COOL, the exterior is looking pretty slick and nice especially from profile..but these are just my opinions. You won't really know until you test drive the car. It has a peppy engine, although acceleration isn't really so great until you bust into the higher RPM ranges. I've only had the car barely a week, but I'm used to the drive. It has a relatively smooth and quiet ride...but I haven't taken it really fast or anything.

Overall, I gotta say I'm really happy with my decision on the car. It's my first one (I'm only 19) and I'm definitely glad that it's a Civic. As for the 2013 models, I know they're slated for a FALL release, which will mean August-October, but my dealer told me that it's not changed much. I don't trust car salesmen haha, no offense to anybody who is one, it's just they seem shady sometimes.

Let us know what you decide! Remember to test drive a whole bunch. I hit up three different dealers before I went to lease my car at a fourth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

The Civic has better resale value and better parts availability. However, the elantra has better gas mileage and better warranty with no additional cost. 100,000 miles; 10 years bumber to bumper. Honda has 3 years; 35,000 miles and few bucks to extend it to 8 years; 75,000 miles.

Exxxtreme (R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)
    Last edited by Exxxtreme; 05-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Buying a car is very subjective. I tested the Elantra and I wasn't impressed. While the sheet metal looks nicer than previous versions, underneath it's still cheap Korean engineering. The suspension is lower deck, the engine is far less refined than Honda's i-VTEC engines, and interior wise it looks decent but no "wow!" factor (Honda doesn't have that factor either although iMID is quite awesome!). A lot of people are buying Hyundais and Kias these days mostly because of the price point and style.

But clearly, once you add on some options the Elantra gets very close to the price of a Civic. The problem is that neither Hyundai or Kia have a long history of reliability and performance as the Civic. That's why the resale value on Korean cars is crap while the Civics are class leaders in terms of residual value. Civics also tend to be more expensive on insurance, at least here in the GTA where insurance rates are already high. So that's another consideration for people living in this area. But if you don't live around here, higher insurance premiums may not be an issue for you.

Put all these points together and the answer as to why more drivers opt to buy Hyundais and Kias over Honda is the Koreans narrowed the gap in terms of engineering and quality, but they are still nowhere near the engineering level of Japanese manufacturers. For many consumers, paying an additional $2,000 or more to close that gap and get a Honda over a Korean car is a bitter pill to swallow. As far as they're concerned, while the Korean cars don't have the same lengthy reliability and safety record as the Civics, for the price they are going for they are good enough so may as well save a bit of money. But in the end whatever money you save on the purchasing price you'll lose through a lower residual value.

My suggestion is test drive the cars you're interested in and do your research.

Finally, when buying a car from a dealership, just go in there with the mindset that everyone is set on ripping you off. Don't fall for any dealer-added services like rustproofing, interior protection, tinting, etc. It's all bullshit and you can have it done cheaper at an independent shop.
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One quick note: don't expect a radical change with the 2013 Civics. It takes manufacturers years to develop a next generation model. So with that said, expect some minor changes and tweaks for 2013-14 model year and the next generation Civic to arrive probably 2015-16 if not later. I really don't understand why so many people out there seem to think they'll be getting a brand new generation Civic next year. Not gonna happen.
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

Elantra was my second choice because it won the car of the year in Detroit. And I like the 100k/ 10-yr warranty. But I still chose Honda over Elantra. Bottom line I love my Honda.

Exxxtreme (R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)
    Last edited by Exxxtreme; 05-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tb2point0 View Post
    One quick note: don't expect a radical change with the 2013 Civics. It takes manufacturers years to develop a next generation model. So with that said, expect some minor changes and tweaks for 2013-14 model year and the next generation Civic to arrive probably 2015-16 if not later. I really don't understand why so many people out there seem to think they'll be getting a brand new generation Civic next year. Not gonna happen.
    Exactly. I worked for several Honda suppliers and contractors in the past and new gens happen only every four years. Within those four years it's minor changes only. Next Gen will be 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.com App

I've never driven the Hyundai and am definitely biased toward Honda products (had a 1983 Prelude; 2000 Civic which my daughter now drives (145K on the odometer) and a 2005 S2000) all of which were (or are) fantastic. Although many have slammed the lack of wow factor in the 2012 Civic, I don't get it. I've had my 2012 EX 5 spd Coupe since April and it has met all expectations: quick enough; reasonable sound system; great transmission and outstanding gas mileage (averaging about 37-38 in mostly highway driving). Did I mention I also have a Honda lawnmower and a Honda snow thrower, too.

Mike

Civic all the way! I bought a 2012 Honda civic ex over a 2012 Chevrolet camaro RS. Worth every penny! Very satisfied with my civic! Love it!
    FG3 SQUAD #19

The reason you should not buy a Hyundai is because its a freaking Hyundai. Thats the best advice I got

Nooblets
    I know you said you want to hear something else other than reliability about the Civic, but seriously, trust your friend and get that Civic. Guaranteed later on that the Civic will still be running 10 years down the road and the Hyundai will not. Reliability like that should justify your choice, unless you're really into the styling, options, and warranty of the Hyundai (honestly, that's all I see in it).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)