Intake resonator delete (sound) - Page 11
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Intake resonator delete (sound)

I have a similar setup except I have fully removed the intake resonator like in the DIY Write-up, relocated my battery below next to where the resonator was, and turned the pipe that faced down towards behind the headlight temporarily.

Once my 3 inch pipe comes in I will be piecing together a 3 inch CAI that goes down into the fender behind where the stock battery, and resonator piping used to sit(just like the 4130 fabrication CAI) With the least amount of bends possible! I want an AEM dry Air Filter as well. I will set it up to where I can adjust the filter to site deep in the fender well, or just inside the edge of the engine bay. This way I can just remove a piece of pipe on really wet days, or in the winter. fun stuff

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
    Last edited by N8vSi; 11-01-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    *12' RR Si
    *Custom 3" Short-ram
    *Custom battery relocation
    *Flashpro
    *CUSTOM 3" DP...
    *RBC intake Manifold
    215whp / 178 ft/lb wtq.
    K24Z7 CREW MEMBER #234
    Hidden Content
    200+WHP CLUB #7

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Pimping!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lamzoq View Post
    I highly doubt that my little mod to the intake create engine knock. Im messing with the filter because in the mountain where I live we have flash flood and few weeks back there was water up to driver door and I turning engine on hoping it was fine but heard water sucking. I turn off immediately and brought it to dealer and they said no harm was done so every since then I was looking at art Sri and found this post and hey give it a try since it's free

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    what you've done actually LOWERS the area where it sucks air from. the intake routes down into the fender into the resonator and then it goes back up to the edge of the hood and actually sucks air from there.

In essence, taking the piping off the bottom actually gives you LESS water depth clearance than stock.

So, that makes it a silly reason to do that

Did yu guys remove the battery?
    Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee Hidden Content
    FB2 squad #17

I think it would be cool to see Alien and Skrub in a tub..... Issues I may have!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I'm doing it now anybody wanna help me out here?
    FB2 squad #17

I think it would be cool to see Alien and Skrub in a tub..... Issues I may have!!!!

Big Timer!!!
    I'm kinda late but I had to remove my bumper...
    '12 CBP EX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 12r18 View Post
    I'm kinda late but I had to remove my bumper...
    Thanks I took everything off except the battery
    I got it to work almost done with it
    FB2 squad #17

Greenhorn
    I've noticed that I get much better gas mileage on the highway (70 mph on a 65 degree day) with the rubber coupling detached. Went from about 36-38mpg to 41mpg on the highway. I was pretty shocked.

Around town though, I think there's less airflow cooling the engine bay and heat soak does occur. These K24s are super picky about intake temp.

2013 Coupe EX Intake Resonator Chamber delete?

I have an '13 Ex coupe and I'm looking at getting the Takeda intake, but because it uses all the stock resonated piping, I was wondering if anyone has kept all the resonator's piping but just removed the actual resonator chamber?

Here's a picture of the stock 2013 R18's resonator...

Intake resonator delete (sound)-chamber-delete.jpg
    What if you were to cut the tube going into the chamber, and cut the tube coming out and placed a pvc pipe or a silicone elbow in between like this:
    Intake resonator delete (sound)-final-resonator-delete.png
    Wouldn't this be the best way to get the throaty sound we all like, plus retaining the stock air intake location (no fear of Hydro-lock or heatsoak)?

Is this even possible, and if so what size elbow/ tube would you use?

Banned
    Yes it's possible. The resonators primary purpose is to "muffle" the sound of the intake which results in a quiet vehicle. It's not a necessity and can be taken out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ya, I took the resonator out of my 2000 Acura Integra and put on an AEM SR and it sounded awesome. But because our civics don't get a lot of airflow into the engine bay i'd like to keep the stock tubing while just removing the resonator box. Then I'd be drawing air from the stock location (which can't be that bad if that's how Honda engineered it) but I'll get the deeper intake note I'm looking for. I've seen some people take out the resonator chamber and just leave the tube hanging off the airbox down beside the battery, but that would be pretty hot air down there plus there's a greater chance of sucking up water.

I just want to know if anyone has done this type of resonator removal and if so how did they connect the 2 pipes? I'm probably going to buy a new resonator for $87 and cut that one up and try to fabricate something to make it work before removing my stock one. I'd like some advice before i do tho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)