Turbo tips needed!
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 9thgensifamily

Thread: Turbo tips needed!

Turbo tips needed!

Hello! I've finally paid off the Civic, and saved for a turbo. Holy crap it gets expensive past the "kit". So far, I've got a Full race turbo kit, with a E.F.R. 7064 turbo. I've got motor mounts, a stage one exedy clutch and flywheel (hard motion said good for 500hp range, hoping so). Hondata 4 bar MAP sensor. PRL RBC intake swap kit with new RBC intake. Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors and adapters for RBC. I have not ordered a fuel rail, exhaust, hondata, or bosst controller.

Anyone that has a turbo, I've never put a turbo on a car, and never had a turbo car. Is there anything that I'm missing here? I'd hate to get this all together, take it to the tuner and look like a newb! My goal is around 400hp with it driving stockish, hence why I haven't picked exhaust. My kids will ride in this on occasion and just with a RV6 down pipe my 6 year old daughter asked "why is your car tooting?"

So a few question, do I need to save my M.A.F sensor? What weight oil is normally ran, I'm sure 0-W20 would not be ideal? Any tips on install that you found?

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Ok for a full race turbo kit, here's things I wish I had known before, but was fun working through at any rate.

1.) Walboro fuel pumps are a very tight fit. I suggest buying D.W. If your worried about it failing, in the scheme of things it's not expensive to keep a extra on hand. I have had no in tank leak or pressure drops so far.
    2.) Total cost. I've not turbo'd anything before. It was done in my garage over about 5 months, and my help was my 6 yo girl and 3 yo boy. It went to a local shop for first start and tune. This put total cost just over $10k. Dyno shop was well spent, they did clean up quite a few loose ends. It would have been cheaper for them to look it over, rough tune...then having online tuning.
    3.) For the full race kit, the MAF sensor isn't used, but still has to be plugged in. Amazon sells IAT sensors and pig tails I needed.
    4.) Should have gotten full motor mount set. The downstream 0² sensor is very close the the firewall. I got 70a top and rear mounts, the 50 miles I drove it so far, no issues...but is worriesome.
    5.) Adjust wastegate alingment. Will be checking this before I drive too much, there's a video on YouTube that explains how to do it much better than the borge Warner efr training documents. I found the video after project was done.
    6.) This I didn't mess up, but is helpful. I did not cutt any webbing from my oil pan for turbo oil return. There is a small area just left of where the oil filter is that was a perfect spot. That webbing on the pan is for strength.
    7.) This is a big one. Looking at pros and cons of hondata vs ktuner, they both looked fine. Ktuner has that nice touch screen with it. UNLESS your only doing online tunning, and have someone willing to tune ktuner, don't buy a ktuner for boost. Shop wanted hondata, as you can live view information vs only datalog on ktuner.
    8.) Subframe goes on much easier if you build a "t" shape out of wood, bolt to jack. Doesn't take any special would, I think I had 1½ pine.
    9.) Full race down pipe doesn't attach to 2012 stock exhaust, I ended up with the full race exhaust.
    10.) I was on the fence about doing a RBC swap, I shouldnt have been. It's easy, looks better, and for boost it's extra power.

I have the efr 7064 turbo. It was 40F when I drove it home, and it started building boost at 2500rpm. And the recirculating valve doesn't keep me from getting a little bit of turbo flutter, which I was a little worried about. I'm at 8psi, tapers to 6psi and gives around 350whp. It's not that fast, but man it's fun. After my wife recovers from this project, I'll do gears and turn up the boost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9rATOFgoVc

Borg Warners instructions on wastegate alignment are vague...this video is spot on.

I did not do this when I aligned mine, and my boost shot to 10 (tuned at 8 dropping to 6, not ideal but long story). It was very noticeably faster and very worrying after I seen the boost controller! So whoever is installing this in the future, use the above link to save yourself $60 for a new wastegate and $5 for new underwear!

Note that realignment may fix it, as I'm not a expert. I'm assuming the 3,000 miles I've put on it may have caused a leak on the diaphragm that I will replace out of abundance of caution. I'm happy that the tuner did map out past where they tuned boost pressure to...they've went up a few notches in my book.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Waste gate was fine, alignment was off but managed to fix without removing turbo. Called Dyno shop, they said turbo must have broke in, and waste gate should be fine. Alignment didn't cause any problems, just the turbo is broke in. Boost has been holding steady just fine, and seems to spool sooner too.

Another thing I wish I'd done while installing this kit, shave the intake temp sensor. The old style sensors are incased in plastic, and tend to be slow reacting to changes. So, sitting at a light my IATs show 140+ while air is moving slow and getting heat soaked from engine bay. Once I take off, air settles to about 120, but sensor is slow to see the cool non-heat soaked air from intercooler.

Concern with this is I'm headed to a drag strip, and my sensor wont update to actual temp till after the race is over. Don't think I can shave it without a retune...so ill add to my list of winter items.

0w20 is no good for turbo. I'd switch to Torco SR1 5w30.

IAT sensor I used an older style from a 2001 Odyssey, spliced into the stock MAF (you already know it has to be connected). I got a MAF extension and tucked the MAF into the firewall. Now its getting signal from the IAT sensor I mounted into my cold side piping a couple inches from the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by RRCoupe View Post
    0w20 is no good for turbo. I'd switch to Torco SR1 5w30.

IAT sensor I used an older style from a 2001 Odyssey, spliced into the stock MAF (you already know it has to be connected). I got a MAF extension and tucked the MAF into the firewall. Now its getting signal from the IAT sensor I mounted into my cold side piping a couple inches from the throttle body.
    Yep, I need to look for extension for MAF, good idea. I'm using 5-W30 as well. I don't know what the IAT sensor I have is from, but it's the typical 90s Honda deal. Watching IAT, I can tell it's slow acting. When I bought it, i couldn't find anything with the right mount that was fast acting. I figure it's important as I'm speed density only, so I plan on shaving the plastic off when I need a retune to make it respond to change faster and should make a decent difference for my tuner, and my tune.

I'm mainly just update this thread to help out anyone in the future that decides to install a full race kit. I've had several instances where posts from years back has been the sole place for a answer, and saved me headaches.
    BWill9886 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)