9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Modifications applicable to 2012 Si

50K views 84 replies 20 participants last post by  victorlg88 
#1 ·
Various changes have been incorporated into the new Si compared to the 06-11 Si. These include a different variable valve changes, integrated intake/exhaust, 1000rpm lower redline(yet appx same piston travel/mile/redline), etc. Many of you are technically more knowledgeable than others of us(at least me, concerning newer engine technology). I believe the new Si will appeal to a much larger audience and Honda knows this. I'm sure they are very serious concerning market research (sometimes I wonder though). We serious enthusiasts are in the minority of Si buyers.
What are the major changes that compromise the Si in the performance areas and what can be done to remove these compromises? I'd guess that the valve train differences are pretty major as well as the intake/exhaust systems. As well as others. I'm still trying to decide between keeping the 2008 and doing various performance upgrades vs the 2012. Your thoughts?

#2 ·
Ugh there has to be a way to break that stupid header off and weld a new one on. Definately not gonna be a bolt on job but nothing a saw cant fix. lol...

also, i think a big potential hides in the ECU. So basically we are screwed until Hondata gets to work. They are fast & great, so it will be done in no time.

Man, is Hondata publicly traded? We should all buy some stock right about now.

#4 ·
Integrated exhaust manifold & VTEC on the intake cam only are some pretty large changes that compromise the 9th gen Si. Drop that K24Z7 out of the engine bay & replace it with a K24A2, problem solved.

#6 ·
Does the 8th Gen Civic Si(realizing this isn't the 8th Si) have the potential to have it's power raised easily(CAI, Flashpro, header, lighter wheels) to where it's power output is at least equal, but ideally excel, to the stock 9th Gen Si. IOW's , would a 8th Gen Si outperform the 9th in stock form if the above is done? This is assuming that VTEC is set to 4500 and the car has a professional tuning. I'm not convinced that the 9th will actually be much faster than the 8th in all out acceleration; rather, just feel more powerful in normal driving due to more mid-range torque. Thoughts?

#7 ·
They will probably perform just about the same stock. The 9th might feel faster cause of the torque and I think it will all depend on whos driving. You get an idiot who takes 3 seconds to shift rather then flat floot shift and have absolutely no delay between gears, then that person will lose no matter which car they are driving.

I think with bolt ons and a tune, the 9thgen can put out the same amount of power as the 8thgen with bolt ons and a tune, and have more torque in the end. So maybe same hp, but more torque?

who knows! LOL! only time will tell. I think its going to be the same crap honestly lol. im sure there will be a gazillion videos out there of 8ths beating 9ths and vice versa.

#8 ·
From what I saw on hondata's site...the k24 that we will have will not react well to an intake (unless it's something close to stock like the comptech one). I saw their reflash for a TSX with the same motor and it had problems with loosing about 20-25lbs of torque in the mid range. So that tells me, intake mods will be moderate.

Then of course, no real exhaust mods...so a cat back won't yeild much results because of the integrated header and tameness of the k24 motor.

We can't switch out the head because it's not going to allow a k20 head and the cams are longer...so no using new cams. I have a feeling companies will see the motor as not being worth the hassle, so they probably won't bother making cams for the car.

So in the end, there is probably only one big mod you can do: supercharger or turbo.

I honestly can't stand superchargers like the Jackson racing/Comptech ones. Their gains are minimal to me. I like turbos. As for turbos on this car, I'm not sure if anyone will bother with that...again, due to the fact that this k24 is more of tame/easy going motor.

So in the end, I think this is a car that no one should mod too much for gains...unless something crazy happens and companies actually think they can make money from selling parts for it (cams, etc).

#10 ·
from what I've read...Honda says they didn't want to bother with exhaust side vtec, nor a normal header...because the gains were minimal with higher displacement 4 cyl. That's from the research I did. I'm not certain how true that is...especially when you see people working on the k24a2 (I believe that's the engine code) and still obtain gains. Perhaps from a factory...non modified...standpoint, the gains are minimal and hence the reason honda avoids it...therefore saving the customers money.

#14 ·
From what I saw on hondata's site...the k24 that we will have will not react well to an intake (unless it's something close to stock like the comptech one). I saw their reflash for a TSX with the same motor and it had problems with loosing about 20-25lbs of torque in the mid range. So that tells me, intake mods will be moderate.

Then of course, no real exhaust mods...so a cat back won't yeild much results because of the integrated header and tameness of the k24 motor.

We can't switch out the head because it's not going to allow a k20 head and the cams are longer...so no using new cams. I have a feeling companies will see the motor as not being worth the hassle, so they probably won't bother making cams for the car.

So in the end, there is probably only one big mod you can do: supercharger or turbo.

I honestly can't stand superchargers like the Jackson racing/Comptech ones. Their gains are minimal to me. I like turbos. As for turbos on this car, I'm not sure if anyone will bother with that...again, due to the fact that this k24 is more of tame/easy going motor.

So in the end, I think this is a car that no one should mod too much for gains...unless something crazy happens and companies actually think they can make money from selling parts for it (cams, etc).
Boost is fun & after adding it to my car it was a totally different animal.

#17 ·
To be able to have the option of swapping cams mean that someone has to manufacture them. Seeing as this motor is the eco K24, don't hold your breath. Intake & exhaust will not get maximum gains w/o a true RH & the K24Z7 will never get one.

#18 ·
why are all your commets always so negative lol. everything single thread i go on its you, just saying something negative. i dont care, its just funny. Its not going to change my thoughts, so not sure you are really effecting anyone elses decision.

I guess the glass is always half empty!

:icon_headfones:

#33 ·
Of course they are because you're removing the catalytic converter. Bad news since the K24Z7 has an integrated exhaust manifold you will not be able to bolt up a true RH to it.

#35 ·
Test-pipe is your best bet to start off with but the usual bolt ons is about the first things that will hit the market. Then wait for Hondata to open up that Pandora's box with their magic.

I'm actually very curious to see what all is brought to market for this K24Z7 since it's pretty much the Eco K24.

#37 ·
This is just my opinion but an SRI made out of a metal tube with the filter located by the firewall is only good for noise with minimal gains. The exhaust is pretty much for noise but will get a small gain over the OEM exhaust because of the lower restriction with the bigger piping.

Cams you'll have to wait for since this K24Z7 can not use any of the older K20 cams. The head from a K20 can't be swapped either from what I have read to gain VTEC on the exhaust cam since the K24Z7 only has VTEC on the intake came like the old K20A3.

What other parts? Throttle body?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.