Endlinks rotated and popped off
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Endlinks rotated and popped off

Endlinks rotated and popped off

hey all this is my first post. crummy circumstance and this is why

About 2months ago i purchased Truhart coilovers and had them installed. About a 2 weeks after i adjusted them with the two rotating collars so now the rear is about maxed out and the front has half an inch left. The following week i got the alignment done. Ride quality is pretty good for how low it is and handling is amazing.

A week ago i was driving and noticed a burnt rubber smell and figured maybe i might have ran over a bag. So right away i took it to a shop and once it was racked up noticed that the black collar on the driver side coilover that has the ball that connects to the endlink, had spun all the way forward and was rubbing the inside of my tire. So we tightened it up and moved it in the proper direction so it’s perfectly verticle to the bottom part of the endlink.

Now, two days ago, the whole thing rotated towards the front of the fender well and completely popped off but from the passenger side, and the sway bar was on the floor. Once again took it to the shop and rotated it so its verticle and tightened back up. Im wondering why the hell its getting loose and moving ever so slightly... and after a while ends up rotating so much that its moving the endlink in an awkward position and eventually pops out. Is it the way i adjusted the coilovers? Or do i need different endlinks? Maybe something i did or something i shouldve done different when adjusting the height? Just worried right now that it will rotate and pop off again. (stock endlinks)

a few pics i took. and my car at its current height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endlinks rotated and popped off-ca7ff1c5-2637-4a5f-a387-364f833e68de_1555760862629.jpg   Endlinks rotated and popped off-c01a5ba4-4cc0-45b6-8fc6-0f47599a9d30_1555760968235.jpg   Endlinks rotated and popped off-57f93319-b49d-4c25-a2ec-06506dc8e10a_1555760986202.jpg   Endlinks rotated and popped off-bcd05558-543e-4a4f-aa0d-0bf18514598c_1555761028871.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

My guess is that since the coilovers place the endlink mount in a different location than stock, there is a ton of stress on the endlink. You may need a shorter/longer endlink.
    I believe there are other coilovers (ex: megan) that come with new links for this same reason.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dpetro1; 04-20-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Roadcourse likes this.

Thank you.
    I was thinking that too but the endlink mount on the coilovers would still end up rotating and ultimately causing the endlink to pop off wouldnt it?
    I would think that when i look up this issue it would be all over the internet. Its like im the only one having this issue with these coilovers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I'm not super familiar with how truhart handles the end link. Not sure why they dont just use a factory design like other companies..

Can you lower the mounting location or check the install? The endlink mount should not be moving or rotating in any way.

Yeah Im gunna check it out. I never tried that with the endlink mounts on the coilovers but ill see if i can lower it. Might just go to the shop that sold/installed them for me and ask them wadahellman

That's interesting how that collar rotates. I wondered if the shop that installed them adjusted them unevenly so that the collars are actually at different heights causing the load to be wonky.

On the OEM assembly as well as the Buddy Club's I'm running, this mounting point is fixed. On the day I installed them, I had the passenger side just about done (I hadn't touched the driver's side aside from loosening the top mounting bolts), but when I was about to bolt in the end-link, I noticed it was a good maybe 2-4" away from the mounting hole. My first thought was that I had to compress the suspension by placing a floor jack under and jacking it up until the hole lined up-which worked-but it caused issues once I made my way to the driver's side (but now the end-link was 2-4" above the mounting hole).

What I didn't realize was the end-link should be saved for last once you have both the driver and passenger sides bolted up and set to the proper height and/or pre-load. This way the swaybar assembly has equal tension once bolted up and you won't have issues rotating it as needed to reach the mounting holes. So in the end it took me an additional 30-45 minutes troubleshooting and searching online before I realized the simple error I made.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is perhaps they ran into a similar issue as I described when I installed my coilovers, and to fix this, they moved the collar up/down for the end-link to be able to mount. If this is the case, then that's probably the root cause.

If you watch this video from procivic, they cover what I just mentioned.
    Last edited by sekngen; 04-22-2019 at 03:05 AM.
    2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan Taffeta White

i hope i understand you correctly. The endlink mount (black collars) are even on both sides and tension should be about the same. For the past few days now, since my
    mechanic had racked the car up and tightened both sides, ive noticed just by looking through the spokes of the rims that the driver & passender side endlinks have not moved which is a good sign cuz that means the black mounts on the coilovers havent moved.

Its not possible for the whole strut assembly to rotate right while driving right?

Also, ive been reading about just getting rid of the front sway bar all together.

Quote Originally Posted by dpetro1 View Post
    My guess is that since the coilovers place the endlink mount in a different location than stock, there is a ton of stress on the endlink. You may need a shorter/longer endlink.
    I believe there are other coilovers (ex: megan) that come with new links for this same reason.

Agreed, my BR Racing coilovers came with new endlinks... Been riding for about 2 weeks now with zero issues.
    2015 Civic Si [email protected]//[email protected]
    IG: its_danscott

Agreed, my BR Racing coilovers came with new endlinks... Been riding for about 2 weeks now with zero issues.[/QUOTE]

Do the endlinks they supplied connect to a mount thats like a collar on the strut (like mine) or is the mounting location like a part of the actual strut itself? Also, what is the difference between the ones they supplied and the stock endlinks?

Furthermore, later-on i will be having the front coilovers taken off and inspected because of a NEW issue with clunking (sounds like everything us going to fall apart if the street isnt perfect), that just started earlier today ;/

Baned
    Would adjustable endlinks solve the problem? I have KSports and had a similar issue. Turns out I didn't lock down the endlink collars so they were rotating around the coilovers and creating some weird noises. I forgot to measure where the swaybar was before swapping out the old suspension for the new, so I just guessed and measured the crap out of everything to make sure it was even on both sides. Like down to the millimeter. The swaybar hitting part of the suspension may make the sound you're hearing. I solved my issue by jacking up one side very slowly and listening for the *clunk* as I lowered it ever so slowly and then feeling around to find out what was vibrating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)