Brake Pedal/Booster clunk
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Brake Pedal/Booster clunk

Brake Pedal/Booster clunk

I looked thru all the threads and didn't quite find what I have here. Last weekend I picked up a 2012 Civic LX. The brake pedal does something I've never noticed on another vehicle. If you tap the brake pedal it makes a dull clunk noise and you can feel the "clunk" in the steering wheel. It only makes the noise and the vibration you can feel in the steering wheel if you tap or quickly apply the brakes. A slow, smooth, steady pressure application doesn't produce it. It does it whether the car is moving or stopped. Almost seems like there's some slack in the booster and you can hear the echo when the slack is take up. I don't feel any actual slack in the pedal though. I've been able to check out a couple of other new Civics at a dealer and they all did it to some degree. Service manager seemed to think it was normal. This may be the case, but still find the noise irritating/annoying. Any one else notice what I talking about? I guess it's just a Honda thing, but I'd like to know what causes it and if there is a way to quiet it down. Thanks.

P.S. - Car has to be running to produce the noise...once the pressure is depleted from the booster from a couple pedal pumps after it's shut down, the noise stops.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I also have the LX. I picked it up in October. I have never heard any noise coming from my brake pedal or anywhere after hitting the brakes under any condition. I would insist they take a better look at it, this does not sound "normal" to me.
    Stigmacher and viorelmh like this.

My 12 EX sedan does the same thing. Clunk is a good description. On my car it only does it when you apply the brake on the right edge of the pedal. If you place your foot in the middle of the pedal and depress the brake it doesn't display the clunk.

Very annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Mine is pretty consistent regardless of where you press the pedal. 3 other 2012s all did it to some extent. Guess its just the way these boosters are made. Don't really like it though. Annoying

We bought our car toward the end of October, I started noticing the noise that your describe in December. Took it to dealership to have them look at it in January. They said there was nothing wrong with it. The noise persisted after that. You are right, it is incredibly annoying! I am a teacher and with school finally being done for the year, I figured I'd have time to track this down. So I took the car to the dealership again. Took the technician for a ride in the car to make sure he understood about what I was talking. He said he thought that was "normal". I told him that I have had multiple new cars and never experienced this noise. I owned a Honda Accord with almost 300,000 miles on it and it never made this noise. I owned a Honda Fit with over 100,000 miles and it never made this noise. I told him "it's not normal". He pulled a brand new 2012 Honda Civic off the lot and showed me that the brand new car was producing the same "clunk". They did everything they could at the dealership. I love this car, but the noise from the brake pedal is too much. I'm going to write to Honda. If they can't fix it for our 2012 model (and they should!), maybe they can fix it for future models/owners. I have come to expect quality from Honda and they need to fix this!

Let me know what Honda says. Be interested to hear.

Count me in as another person experiencing this with my brake pedal. I bought an EX coupe 5-spd on 5/23 and noticed it only a couple days later. I figured something just needed to be greased somewhere. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, but then on the other hand, I don't feel glad....hmm

I bought the new 2012 Civic EX-L a month ago, and I noticed the noise one day after I drove the car. Extremely annoying and upsetting! Honda dealership has called the manufactures and attempted to fix the noise four times, but they said they still have no clear answers to why the car making such noise. In addition, when I drive on non-paved/rough roads, my car makes a rattling noise which I think is coming from the back seat.
    viorelmh likes this.

Are you guys talking about the clunk when you let go of the pedal? Cuz I experienced it myself.... unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    Happy in my own head Hidden Content
    2012 Civic EX 4-dr TFW

No, it's when you first press down on the brake pedal. It sounds like a cheap clunk/metal vibration sort of sound. I managed to get mine to stop doing it, but it's probably more attributed to the way I press down on the brakes. If you do it more slowly and straight on rather than quickly and at an angle from the right, it never makes the sound. That's my experience, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)