2012+ Honda Civic Si HFP Suspension Kit Installation
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2012+ Honda Civic Si HFP Suspension Kit Installation

Hidden Content
    '12 TW EX SEDAN

Click on Following Links for Help:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

no point in taking the axle nut off and don't remove lower control arm bolt just the upper control arm then pry spring out.
    Last edited by immajackuup; 10-29-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Nooblets
    For the rears; do you have to remove that whole assembly in order to swap the springs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    I am doing this swap on my 2013 Civic sedan now. I just finished the rear after I got home from work this evening. I removed the rear shocks, but had a little trouble getting the springs out. I used a strut spring compressor. I only needed to compress the spring very slightly and then the spring came right out. So, I didn't remove that lower control arm bolt on the rear end. Parts fit perfectly so far. I took out the corner pieces of the front cowl so that I could use a socket on the upper strut mounts (rather than try to reach underneath the plastic cowl with a wrench). I will try to finish tomorrow. Oh, my in-a-hurry measurement seems to indicate that the rear came down about 3/4 of an inch with the new springs.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Hello, jsannes, and welcome to 9th gen.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Hello Scottyrocks, thanks for the welcome. I have spent the last 12 years in a Miata, so the Civic is a little different for me. I finished the front struts today. I used a block of wood under the brake disc "hat" (part where the lugs come through). This kept the disc upright and not falling on it's face. Removal of the strut was easy and straight forward. I love the fact that the HFP kit comes pre-assembled for the strut. Thanks to the forum for showing me some tips on the job. Working with the corner pieces was not all that much fun, but not as bad as I thought it would be (me and plastic don't always get along).
    teamrubixcube likes this.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsannes View Post
    Hello Scottyrocks, thanks for the welcome. I have spent the last 12 years in a Miata, so the Civic is a little different for me. I finished the front struts today. I used a block of wood under the brake disc "hat" (part where the lugs come through). This kept the disc upright and not falling on it's face. Removal of the strut was easy and straight forward. I love the fact that the HFP kit comes pre-assembled for the strut. Thanks to the forum for showing me some tips on the job. Working with the corner pieces was not all that much fun, but not as bad as I thought it would be (me and plastic don't always get along).
    What made you switch over from the world of Miatas? Those are pretty sweet (and under appreciated) little rides.

Quote Originally Posted by teamrubixcube View Post
    What made you switch over from the world of Miatas? Those are pretty sweet (and under appreciated) little rides.
    Not to put words in OPs mouth but a small two seater with minimal storage space, fun can only take you so far.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

This video is very helpful, but is an example of why I refuse to have someone work on my car for me. The tech fails to use a torque wrench for several of the steps. I'm paranoid about that, and fear all the things that could go wrong while operating my vehicle post installation.

I plan on starting tonight and completing the instal this weekend.

Reading through, it looks like I will not need a spring compressor, as the HFP front spring/strut combo is preassembled. Can anyone verify this? Any other tips or tricks from someone that did this themselves? Ie, remove cowl in order to torque strut nuts to spec...
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    CTE supercharger w/3.6", stock belt
    DW 750CC injectors w/PNP clips.
    Vit Tuned with Flashpro
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport Summer tires 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    Buddy Club Sport Spec Coilovers

14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar
    Ultra Racing 3 point Trunk Brace
    FKX Racing Rear Strut bar

Quote Originally Posted by Civi9 View Post
    This video is very helpful, but is an example of why I refuse to have someone work on my car for me. The tech fails to use a torque wrench for several of the steps. I'm paranoid about that, and fear all the things that could go wrong while operating my vehicle post installation.

I plan on starting tonight and completing the instal this weekend.

Reading through, it looks like I will not need a spring compressor, as the HFP front spring/strut combo is preassembled. Can anyone verify this? Any other tips or tricks from someone that did this themselves? Ie, remove cowl in order to torque strut nuts to spec...
    I did this myself in my garage, and I can confirm that you do not need a spring compressor. The front strut assembly is essentially a quick strut (fully assembled and plug and play) and the rears only require removal of the spring while it is under absolutely no load and therefore it won't expand, shoot out and kill you. A pry bar may be useful to bend down the rear enough to get the spring out and put the new one back in.

Contrary to other instructions, I didn't have to remove the lower control arm bolt. Also there is no need to remove the axle bolt as shown in the CH video.

Removal of the cowl will definitely make access to the strut nuts much easier. Also if you live in a place where salt is spread in large quantities during the winter, your stabilizer end link bolts will be VERY rusted and there is a chance that you could strip them taking them out/putting them back in. Just be careful of that.

Also don't let your front brakes/knuckle tug the CV joints apart when the strut is removed.
    Last edited by nothing; 04-24-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    GHOSTMONKY likes this.

2012 PMM Si Sedan w/ HFP Suspension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)