Coilovers and winter
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Thread: Coilovers and winter

DnB
    Nooblets

Coilovers and winter

Hey everyone, I couldn't really find much on this subject but I am looking at getting a coilover setup as I want to have my car a little lower and stiffer for everyday driving (then slammed for shows), however I live in Vermont and our winters can get pretty ridiculous and I do not want to have my car sitting for half the year mainly because I don't have the money for a second car. Does anyone have experience using a lowered suspension in extreme winter conditions? I thought of going HFP but for me I don't think the drop that gives wouldnt be enough for what Im looking for.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Platinum Member
    Are you looking to improve the handling or just have the car lower to the ground? If better handling is what you're after get the HFP setup. If you're just looking to go lower then get some good springs. Coilovers provide both obviously but with the salt and such from a Vermont winter you will really have to keep up the maintenance to make sure the lowering threads don't get rusty or damaged.

DnB
    Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by teamrubixcube View Post
    Are you looking to improve the handling or just have the car lower to the ground? If better handling is what you're after get the HFP setup. If you're just looking to go lower then get some good springs. Coilovers provide both obviously but with the salt and such from a Vermont winter you will really have to keep up the maintenance to make sure the lowering threads don't get rusty or damaged.
    I'm mostly going for performance but I also don't want my car to look like a 4x4 anymore. Would it be feasible to take coils off every winter or is it a pain?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

buy coilovers with teflon coating shock body, after install & the set up, you can apply undercoating on your new coils to prevent rust...

How much snow do you typically deal with? I'm glad mine was stock height last winter.

DnB
    Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    How much snow do you typically deal with? I'm glad mine was stock height last winter.
    This past winter Vermont led the country in anual snow fall...so kind of a lot of snow.

For those worried about winter messing up their coilovers... ISC Suspension sell covers.
    2015 Civic Si [email protected]//[email protected]
    IG: its_danscott

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Bag it.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)