2014 cvt transmission fluid change
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2014 cvt transmission fluid change

Greenhorn

2014 cvt transmission fluid change

Looking to change my transmission fluid but can't find a repair manual or any real details.

My biggest question is I need to find the check bolt for checking the level after I fill it. I think I located it but I don't know for sure and I don't want to jack up my car because I'm cheap.

2014 cvt transmission fluid change-20161113_141254-copy.jpg

Is the second red larger arrow on the right the correct check bolt for transmission level?
    RJAYBEE likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Scratchin my tickets at the counter, holding up the line
    Pic is correct, drain plug and check plug (spill hole).
    See if you can locate the fill plug on top of the trans before you begin.

Make sure to follow the proper procedure (setup) for checking the fluid level.

Make sure to use only Hondas HCF-2 fluid in that trans.

Silver2Coupe and RJAYBEE like this.

Greenhorn
    Yes I know where the fill plug is.

One question that is very important in this. I do not have a level place to do this change. I can jack the car up to make it what I feel is level. I have taken a level and put it under the body of the car and got it level but is this accurate? I live in an area where real level ground is hard to come by.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Eyeball level is probably close enough IMO.
    I doubt anyone gets out a bubble level and plumb bob to get it exact.

Greenhorn
    Well I got out the level and got it set up but such a hard thing to judge when nothing is level for ground around you.

Thanks for all the help and good information.

Greenhorn
    I am going to need to do this on my wife's 14 civic as well in the very near future. What is the proper procedure for doing this? I am very familiar with the regular drain and fill of my 12 civic 5 speed auto trans, i have just never don anything with cvt transmissions.

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner429 View Post
    I am going to need to do this on my wife's 14 civic as well in the very near future. What is the proper procedure for doing this? I am very familiar with the regular drain and fill of my 12 civic 5 speed auto trans, i have just never don anything with cvt transmissions.
    Quick-n-dirty: With engine and trans at operating temperature..... Drain trans fluid into a gallon jug (use a wide funnel and have a good grip on the jug). Measure exactly how much came out. Refill with same amount of fresh HCF-2 fluid. (This assumes it had the correct amount of fluid in the first place)

Otherwise....With engine and trans at operating temperature
    Drain trans, let it drain for a minimum of 5 minutes. Wipe off the magnet, replace crush washer, etc.
    EDIT: Do I really need to mention putting the drain plug back in?

Honda wants you to remove "fill and check plug" from the front of trans and fill with 3.7 US quarts of HCF-2.
    I may instead dump the new fluid into the fill hole on top of the trans (see reply from OP above?) even though it takes a little work to reach it.

Either way, fill it until fluid spills out of the check hole in front.
    Insert check plug.

Run engine to operating temperature again (fan cycles twice)
    Move shift lever to each gear position (P, R, N, D, S, L, S, D, N, R, P,) pause for 3 seconds in each position.
    Turn off engine.
    Jump out, run to the front and remove the check plug. (Don't waste time getting around to this step LOL)
    Top off fluid (if necessary) until it spills out of the check hole again, or if it was already spilling out let it spill until it's just a trickle.
    (NOTE: fluid can continue to drain internally after the engine is shut off, so don't let it fool you. Cork it as soon as the spill slows to a trickle.

Reinstall check plug with new crush washer, reinstall fill plug on top of trans if you used it.
    Reinstall splash panels under the engine compartment.

Mop up your mess,
    take old trans fluid to be properly disposed (Autozone? Your dealership?)

Did that cover most of it? Did I miss anything here?
    Last edited by Ez1; 11-20-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Silver2Coupe and RJAYBEE like this.

Greenhorn
    Tuner429, I just did mine this weekend. Here is the procedure I used. First recommendation is not to do this on a windy day. My epic fail!

My steps
    1. Removed the fill plug on top of transmission.
    2. Broke (did not remove) the check bolt 17mm and transmission drain 3/8 wrench
    3. remove transmission drain bolt and drained fluid. This stuff smelled horrible not burnt but just a horrid smell.
    4. replace transmission drain bolt
    5. Filled the transmission up with 3.6 qt as the recommended fluid required for a change from my owners manual.
    6. Start car and follow this procedure: While pressing the brake pedal firmly, shift in turn the shift lever to PRNDSDNRP (with paddle shifters)/ PRNDSLSDNRP (without paddle shifters) , and wait for at least 3 seconds to each position.
    7. I had the body of my car level with jack stands if you are not have car on level surface and remove check bolt. My level was perfect I had barely a drop start to come out. Add additional fluid till it is just trickling out or let it drain until this is happening.
    8. replace check bolt
    9. Done

Not sure why this keeps formatting like a single paragraph...
    Last edited by lawson23; 11-21-2016 at 06:50 AM.
    Silver2Coupe and pjdublada858 like this.

How many miles did you have on your CVT before changing the fluid?
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2018 Pilot EX AWD SSM (wife's)
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    I did it based on the computer code saying it was time. I performed it at 55,000 when it came up with a A13 code.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)