coming soon: 2pc rotors
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: coming soon: 2pc rotors

Thumbs up coming soon: 2pc rotors

oem replacement 2pc rotors for 9th gen civic (front only)

weight comparison....

stoptech

stock

974.jpg

1488.jpg

1223.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I was literally recommended some 2pc rotors yesterday, i wondered if they even made any....well they will now i guess
    team3d likes this.
    K24Z7 - Crew Member #373

14' Honda Civic Si Coupe
    GodSpeed 2-Way MonoMax Coilovers
    MakspeedTurbo Kit - Comp 6062BB
    Vit-Viper Tuned
    Action Clutch -
    Stage 3
    Hawk Performance Brakes
    Progress Sway Bar
    GearX - 1-4th w/RSX Final Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers805 View Post
    I was literally recommended some 2pc rotors yesterday, i wondered if they even made any....well they will now i guess

there are for bbk applications, we have been recommending it for forum members that wants more power & faster acceleration... we finally was able to package a set up for oem size applications !

for those we been buying parts with me knows how much faster a car can become by shave rotating mass

here is a DBA ROTORS testing results on light weight rotors...

All performance fanatics talk about reducing un-sprung weight. Yes, a rotating disc does have a certain amount of rotating inertia or a flywheel effect which requires power to accelerate and to decelerate. It takes approximately 18 lbf-ft of torque to get those 21lbs disc spinning up to 80mph and back down to 0mph when braking. The lighter 19lbs disc requires ONLY 15.1 lbf-ft which is a little better than 10% saving in energy required to accelerate and decelerate the same vehicle.

By thinking smarter DBA has developed opportunities to reduce weight without reducing performance by using higher quality disc rotor materials like DBA’s performance range or by replacing stock rotors with two piece designs such as DBA’s 5000 series discs which reduce weight from the mounting bell while maintaining the optimal weight on the braking band.
    Last edited by team3d; 06-23-2017 at 11:02 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Rotor TypeWeight (lbs)

Stock Front Cast Rotor~17.75 lb
    Baer Front 2-Piece Rotor~15.80 lb

weight shaved for the front rotors, 1.95lbs each side

Stock Rear Cast Rotor~14.45 lb
    Baer Rear 2-Piece Rotor~11.75 lb

weight shaved for the rear rotors 2.70lbs each corner

Mitsubishi Evolution before and after installing a set of lightweight rotors.

Emery at STM Tuned claimed the Evolution pulled 327 HP and 313 TQ and then jacked the car up while still on the dyno, replaced the rotors with
    Baer 2-piece rotors, and performed another dyno pull to the tune of 339 HP and 319 TQ. That’s a gain of over 10 horsepower to the ground.

results for the light weight rotor gain a max of 12whp & additional 6lbs of torque, if you look at the dyno chart, the gains is through out the whole power band.

and yes, brake makes power too....
    Last edited by team3d; 06-23-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    lucious likes this.

By shaving a grand total of 9.3lbs the Evo was able to make an extra 12WHP so based on those calculations if you drop the 29lbs stock wheels for lightweight 15lbs wheels you'd shave 56lbs all around than you'd make an extra 72WHP lol.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kev604 View Post
    By shaving a grand total of 9.3lbs the Evo was able to make an extra 12WHP so based on those calculations if you drop the 29lbs stock wheels for lightweight 15lbs wheels you'd shave 56lbs all around than you'd make an extra 72WHP lol.
    1st of all, on a FWD car, the drive-train loss is on front wheels only, not all 4 wheels, the evolution example count all 4 rotors weight because it's an awd car.

in your case, your stock is 23lbs 17" si wheels with 17x8 et35 rpf1 15.6lbs, that gives you a weight reduction of 7.4lb each corner, a total of 14.8lbs rotational weight reduction.

reduce inertia technically is not gaining horsepower, the power gain you see are the drive-train loss power that is recovered due to less energy use.

the rule of thumb for fwd drivetrain loss is 20%, so a 200hp car will be 160whp on a chassis dyno, that 40hp drivetrain loss can be recover some from light weight wheels, tires, rotors, clutch, axles...

if you can recover 20%, that is a good 8whp gain without adding any load into your engine.
    Last edited by team3d; 06-24-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    MeeSh likes this.

Okay you win so by dropping 28lbs unsprung (ie. 29lbs-15lbs) on the drive wheels of a FWD car you'll gain 36WHP lol. The Evo example clearly states a horsepower gain you yourself claim a 8WHP gain if you recover 20% of the loss (not sure where you came up with these numbers but whatever). Oh and also your saying power gain and loss is different with AWD versus FWD so that post is irrelevant to our cars to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by team3d View Post
    1st of all, on a FWD car, the drive-train loss is on front wheels only, not all 4 wheels, the evolution example count all 4 rotors weight because it's an awd car.

in your case, your stock is 23lbs 17" si wheels with 17x8 et35 rpf1 15.6lbs, that gives you a weight reduction of 7.4lb each corner, a total of 14.8lbs rotational weight reduction.

reduce inertia technically is not gaining horsepower, the power gain you see are the drive-train loss power that is recovered due to less energy use.

the rule of thumb for fwd drivetrain loss is 20%, so a 200hp car will be 160whp on a chassis dyno, that 40hp drivetrain loss can be recover some from light weight wheels, tires, rotors, clutch, axles...

if you can recover 20%, that is a good 8whp gain without adding any load into your engine.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

Shut up and take my money Andy lol. No seriously I'm interested.
    ATS*Garage

2014 Civic Si Sedan
    ACUITY INSTRUMENTS
    IG: @markpstuff

Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kev604 View Post
    Okay you win so by dropping 28lbs unsprung (ie. 29lbs-15lbs) on the drive wheels of a FWD car you'll gain 36WHP lol. The Evo example clearly states a horsepower gain you yourself claim a 8WHP gain if you recover 20% of the loss (not sure where you came up with these numbers but whatever). Oh and also your saying power gain and loss is different with AWD versus FWD so that post is irrelevant to our cars to begin with.

^I think these kids need a little pow-wow to work out their differences lol

Interesting concept again, looking at rotational energy, back to the discussion of lightweight pulleys! The Evo also makes more HP and TQ than the Si, I mean were talking about a difference of over 100 HP and TQ difference, so maybe the amount of lightweight reduction, in various areas of course, will yield different results.

For example, the Si 2012 was 200HP, theoretically, 200HP is the max amount of HP that the motor can function at with absolutely no restrictions, so if the 20% was applied in the loss/restrictions, then only 40HP is left to make up...however, to what extend and how close you can come to the original 200HP is subjective.

For the Evo, the max HP that dyno made was right around 320, so, adding 20% would bring the max HP for the Evo (at crank) is up to 384HP (320 X .20 = 64, 64 + 320 = 384), so you have now 64 HP to make up, versus 40HP on the Si, (37.5% more), you have a much larger window to make up that HP/TQ than the Si.

If we look at the claim of 10HP gain with the new rotors, you have to take that from the 64HP, which is a gain of 15% (10/64 = 15.62%), or you could use the language of "recover" versus "gain", The light weight rotors "recovered" 10HP that was originally lost.

So, now you use the 15% as a basis for measure for what could be on the loss of the 40HP that the Si goes through, which takes the theoretical gain to 6HP (40 X .15), so with the lightweight rotors, you could anticipate a "recovered" 6HP from the original loss

Everything is always going to be proportionate to the original HP and TQ numbers of each engine at crank. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by turkeyfeast123; 06-24-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: sentence structure
    team3d, MeeSh, jfisher and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hella JDM View Post
    Shut up and take my money Andy lol. No seriously I'm interested.
    going yo have it test fit on my r18 in 10 days (my r18 uses stock 300mm stock si brake)

once the sample fit, we will place an order and gb will be up within 3 weeks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)