Does your car have a gender? - Page 5
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Does your car have a gender?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodLuck View Post
    I've never really understood why so many people refer to their car as a "she". I am older than most, and it has been this way for as long as I can remember and probably was the same way well before my time. I rarely hear a vehicle called a "he". So why are vehicles considered to be inherently female, or to have a gender at all?
    All my cars have always been "she" when I refer to them. And yes...I have named my cars. My first was a black on black 1991 Ford Taurus SHO that I named Brandy. I had a thing for Brandy at the time (the singer). My current Civic Si is named Tiffany. She's much more refined than Brandy, and is a bit more upscale than my old Ford Taurus SHO. It makes sense to me.

No why do a lot of people refer to cars as "she's"? This is my personal opinion.

They are constantly needing to be taken care of (think oil changes, tune ups) , will not take you anywhere unless you take care of them first (fuel them up), but when you take care of them...they take care of you.
    scottyrocks and GoodLuck like this.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #52!
    2013 "Awesomesauce" Civic Si Sedan w/ Navigation
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Baned
    I like how it says "invented pronouns": https://genderneutralpronoun.wordpress.com/

My car came from the factory gender free. I have no mechanism to make it male, female, or gay. Is gay a gender? Some people think so. They're f--ked up-----figuratively or unnaturally.
    Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Guns don't kill people, drivers on cell phones kill people.

Drain the swamp. Force term limits.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to make people believe he doesn't exist".......a movie.

It's just a question of who you like!
    Hidden Content 2013 SOP 4dr SI. Vittuned and smiling. POP crew #414.

The 60s VW Bug that my mom used to drive she named it Putt-Putt. I think it was considered an "it" at that time.
    scottyrocks likes this.

Greenhorn
    Yes, my car is my baby (girl)

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Since my first post in this thread, I have completely forgotten what name I was referring to that I supposedly gave to my Civic. Just goes to show you how a) unimportant names are for my cars, and/or b) how unimportant a name is for a Civic.

However, my MINI had a name (male). It kind of konked me on the head - I didn't have to think about it.

My Beetle has a name. When I got the car I asked my daughter what she thought the car's name should be. She came up with Ginger. The car is red, as she had recently been to Scotland on a work/study program, so that name came to her pretty quickly.

Also, I want to thank Snowood for bringing back some of these funny older threads. Always good for a chuckle.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 03-29-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Mine is Margot. Figured Harley was too obvious/cliche for a Rallye, so went with the actress's name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)