Need Advice... Academic Dishonesty?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Need Advice... Academic Dishonesty?

Need Advice... Academic Dishonesty?

So I thought I was all done with this semester of college when I receive an email from the academic judiciary that states that I am being accused for academic dishonesty in my philosophy class. Apparently I plagiarized in my paper and this is a serious offense that could cause me to get expelled from the university. I did not plagiarize, I do know that my professor did not like me and was always looking for a way to prove me wrong (I voiced my opinion in class and he didn't like that). Now my question is, how do I go about proving that I did not plagiarize because I mean you can go online and find a paper written by somebody else that looks similar to your own. I don't know how this works at other schools but at Stony Brook you receive a letter "Q" grade which accounts as an F for now. I have to write an appeal and then I have to state my case in front of a jury. If found not guilty my grade gets changed to what it should be and my name gets cleared of academic dishonesty. If I get found guilty the "Q" stays and I must take this special "Q" course in the spring. The jury can also request a 2nd trial if they feel I have provided false information. Anyways this appears to be a big mess ahead of me and I'm trying to keep my head-up but with this hanging over my head this does not make me feel good. I need to clear my name and would like to hear what you guys think is my best route.
    I appreciate all who contribute this is mostly just a rant need to speak my mind lol
    Instagram: @ jkeis862

'9th Gen Civic LI Crew #21'
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    First I would ask to see exactly what you're being accused of having plagiarized. Then go from there.

Also make sure this is legit, because it sounds like a possible prank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2013 Civic Si Coupe (Rallye Red)
    Suspension mods:

Progress 24mm Rear sway bar
    Energy greasable Bushings
    Moog greasable endlinks
    SPC adjustable rear camber arms
    Curt Trailer Hitch

Engine/Transmission Mods:

Hasport 62a Rear & Top Motor Mounts
    Clutch-delay valve delete
    CMC Speed bleeder
    K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter
    Weighted shift knob
    MTEC Shifter Springs
    Vit Tuned

Electrical Mods:
    Viper 4806v Remote Start
    Hard-wired Dash cam
    PIAA headlights and yellow fogs

I agree with redrocket. First ask to see the passage in question, and then ask where it has supposedly been plagiarized from. Could this be a case of not citing all of your sources? Also, after you receive that information, try to get an appointment with the department head and explain why this may be a case of the professor attempting to come down on you. It's obvious you have no idea what you've done wrong. Don't worry hun, we've got your back at least!
    jkeis862 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeis862 View Post
    So I thought I was all done with this semester of college when I receive an email from the academic judiciary that states that I am being accused for academic dishonesty in my philosophy class. Apparently I plagiarized in my paper and this is a serious offense that could cause me to get expelled from the university. I did not plagiarize, I do know that my professor did not like me and was always looking for a way to prove me wrong (I voiced my opinion in class and he didn't like that). Now my question is, how do I go about proving that I did not plagiarize because I mean you can go online and find a paper written by somebody else that looks similar to your own. I don't know how this works at other schools but at Stony Brook you receive a letter "Q" grade which accounts as an F for now. I have to write an appeal and then I have to state my case in front of a jury. If found not guilty my grade gets changed to what it should be and my name gets cleared of academic dishonesty. If I get found guilty the "Q" stays and I must take this special "Q" course in the spring. The jury can also request a 2nd trial if they feel I have provided false information. Anyways this appears to be a big mess ahead of me and I'm trying to keep my head-up but with this hanging over my head this does not make me feel good. I need to clear my name and would like to hear what you guys think is my best route.
    I appreciate all who contribute this is mostly just a rant need to speak my mind lol
    Did you use references and citations in your paper? If so, what style do you use APA or MLA? I would guess this should be an APA formatted paper since it was written in a philosophy class. Also, is this the first paper you have submitted for a grade in this class?
    Time is an illusion.
    - Albert Einstein

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    You have a right to know the specifics of the accusation. I would make an appointment with the department chair to discuss it.

Also, if your paper is short on references, this may be where the charge came from, a high and mighty prof, not withstanding. If you attributed most of what you said to the places they came from, a plagiarism charge is not valid. The problem is when you use others' words as your own with no credit to the source.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Yes I scheduled a meeting for today to discuss what are the "charges" against me. Once I find out today I will take it from there. It was a 2-page paper using MLA citations. This was the second paper we handed in. I did not do too well on the first paper.

Thank you for all the information I really do appreciate it and the support as well!!!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    You have a right to know the specifics of the accusation. I would make an appointment with the department chair to discuss it.

Also, if your paper is short on references, this may be where the charge came from, a high and mighty prof, not withstanding. If you attributed most of what you said to the places they came from, a plagiarism charge is not valid. The problem is when you use others' words as your own with no credit to the source.
    Believe it or not, it is very easy to accidentally plagiarize material. For example, something simple as not having a citation for a listed reference can be considered plagiarism. Also, the severity of punishment has to fit with the level of the student. For example, if you are taking a 200 or 300 level course (sophomore/junior) then the punishment would not be as severe as someone taking a 500 level course (master degree). In addition, self-plagiarism has become a punishable offense so make sure you never submit the same material for a grade twice.
    Time is an illusion.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jkeis862 View Post
    Yes I scheduled a meeting for today to discuss what are the "charges" against me. Once I find out today I will take it from there. It was a 2-page paper using MLA citations. This was the second paper we handed in. I did not do too well on the first paper.

Thank you for all the information I really do appreciate it and the support as well!!!

What is the course number of this class?
    Time is an illusion.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dracslayer View Post
    What is the course number of this class?
    PHI 100 Introduction to Philosophy it's one of the general requirement courses needed to graduate.

Hidden Content

Please keep us up to date! Hopefully it was something like missing a citation! I haven't written papers in a few years ..... what is the punishment for writing something that accidentally happens to be similar to another work with no prior knowledge?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)