High Mileage Performance tires
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

    Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By FooBird
  • 1 Post By Jbs2012civic
  • 1 Post By SB2012SI
  • 1 Post By batman900

Thread: High Mileage Performance tires

  1. #1
    Nooblets Johnny DemonT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    97

    High Mileage Performance tires

    I apologize as I have searched, but have not found the results I was looking for. I am in the market for summer rims and tires, and I drive 400+ miles (highway) a week. Interested in opinions on which performance tire gives you the most bang for your buck and wears the best. Looking for an efficicent tire that rolls well, wears exceptional, but gives me enough grip when I wanna play around. Coming from the lifted pickup life of wearing out expensive tires quickly, I realized too late how nice it was to sacrifice the "look" just a little for a better wearing tire. Once again these are summer wheels/tires as I will be keeping my stock SI rims and tires for winter time. Just wanted to see what fellow commuters and enthuisiasts are running. Price is not my biggest concern as I would rather have a high quality tire! Also would like to maintain stock mpgs. If there is a thread I should be looking at, feel free to direct me. Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bluestar's winch!! FooBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    8,762
    I've put BFGoodrich Sport Comp2 summers on my ride. Have 5000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing nicely and perform very well when I wanna toss the car around.


    Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Johnny DemonT and Erkon like this.
    bluestar gave me the clap.

    K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

    2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

  4. #3
    Big Timer!!! Jbs2012civic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Meridian, idaho
    Posts
    115
    Went with falken 612 tires that have a 40000 mile warranty even on 40 series tires.
    Johnny DemonT likes this.
    2012 civic dx manual
    18x8 +40 MB alpina wheels 225/40/18 falken tires, 20%tint, python alarm with keyless entry, ebay black axleback exhaust, 12" Pioneer champion series sub with Rockford 400watt rms amp.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Nooblets Johnny DemonT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    97
    Thanks! BFgoodrich tires always seem to be great. Always ran ATs and MTs on my trucks. I will have to read up on the falken 612's. Appreciate the responses

  7. #5
    Top Dawg!! SB2012SI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    1,045
    Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
    the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
    so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
    My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
    So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
    Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

    sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.
    Johnny DemonT likes this.
    230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch catless DP
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch exhaust

    ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    Yokohama Super Advan SA3A
    17x7.5
    17x8

  8. #6
    Top Dawg!! batman900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by SB2012SI View Post
    Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
    the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
    so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
    My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
    So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
    Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

    sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.
    ^Yep. I had the oem summer tires for my Si replaced with the MX4's just a couple weeks ago. I put 15k on those summer tires all hwy, decided to keep them since its such a low milage but I doubt I'll put them back on as they are more than half way gone. I think the tread wear # on those was half compared to the MX4. I drive a ton of hwy daily so summer tires won't be a future option.
    Johnny DemonT likes this.

  9. #7
    Nooblets Johnny DemonT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    97
    I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.

  10. #8
    Top Dawg!! SB2012SI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DemonT View Post
    I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.
    Correct.
    A Michelin tire will suit you well.
    I always get about 60-70k mikes out of them, if rotated as scheduled.

    sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.
    230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch catless DP
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch exhaust

    ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    Yokohama Super Advan SA3A
    17x7.5
    17x8

  11. #9
    Nooblets Johnny DemonT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    97
    Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"
    Last edited by Johnny DemonT; 02-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.

  12. #10
    Top Dawg!! SB2012SI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DemonT View Post
    Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"
    Stock Si tires are the MX4. U r correct.

    sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.
    230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch catless DP
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch exhaust

    ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    Yokohama Super Advan SA3A
    17x7.5
    17x8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Similar Threads

  1. HONDA High Mileage (Any Gen)
    By Nmersing in forum Other Cars
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM
  2. Source for information on how to build high performance engines.
    By hpengineprep in forum Engine, Engine Swaps, Pulleys, Injectors
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
  3. si navigation or performance tires?
    By Juanmoya97 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
  4. 2 High performance 9ths in Columbia SC
    By GCustom in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2