High Mileage Performance tires
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By FooBird
  • 1 Post By Jbs2012civic
  • 1 Post By SB2012SI
  • 1 Post By batman900

Thread: High Mileage Performance tires

High Mileage Performance tires

I apologize as I have searched, but have not found the results I was looking for. I am in the market for summer rims and tires, and I drive 400+ miles (highway) a week. Interested in opinions on which performance tire gives you the most bang for your buck and wears the best. Looking for an efficicent tire that rolls well, wears exceptional, but gives me enough grip when I wanna play around. Coming from the lifted pickup life of wearing out expensive tires quickly, I realized too late how nice it was to sacrifice the "look" just a little for a better wearing tire. Once again these are summer wheels/tires as I will be keeping my stock SI rims and tires for winter time. Just wanted to see what fellow commuters and enthuisiasts are running. Price is not my biggest concern as I would rather have a high quality tire! Also would like to maintain stock mpgs. If there is a thread I should be looking at, feel free to direct me. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I've put BFGoodrich Sport Comp2 summers on my ride. Have 5000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing nicely and perform very well when I wanna toss the car around.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Johnny DemonT and Erkon like this.
    bluestar gave me the clap.

K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

Went with falken 612 tires that have a 40000 mile warranty even on 40 series tires.
    Johnny DemonT likes this.
    2012 civic dx manual
    18x8 +40 MB alpina wheels 225/40/18 falken tires, 20%tint, python alarm with keyless entry, ebay black axleback exhaust, 12" Pioneer champion series sub with Rockford 400watt rms amp.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Thanks! BFgoodrich tires always seem to be great. Always ran ATs and MTs on my trucks. I will have to read up on the falken 612's. Appreciate the responses

Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
    the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
    so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
    My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
    So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
    Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

sent from an artificial intelligence device that eats fruit for breakfast.
    230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch catless DP
    11 BravoMotorsports 3 inch exhaust

ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    Yokohama Super Advan SA3A
    17x7.5
    17x8

Quote Originally Posted by SB2012SI View Post
    Here's then issue with a summer tire.....
    the compound is gonna be soft which in return will give you lower tires life.
    so you have to think.... do I want great grip and sticky fun tire, or do I want long tires life because I drive 400+ mikes a week?
    My personal suggestion would be to sacrifices maximum grip for something less aggressive because YOU DRIVE A LOT. Lol
    So something of the touring tire selection would suit you much better for your weekly commuting.
    Something like a Michelin pilot MX4 would do you good. Or a Continental touring tire.

^Yep. I had the oem summer tires for my Si replaced with the MX4's just a couple weeks ago. I put 15k on those summer tires all hwy, decided to keep them since its such a low milage but I doubt I'll put them back on as they are more than half way gone. I think the tread wear # on those was half compared to the MX4. I drive a ton of hwy daily so summer tires won't be a future option.

I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DemonT View Post
    I appreciate your advice. That was my concern with summer tires also. Did not seem to find a happy median of grip to wear life. Really the car mostly goes in a straight line in traffic everyday I guess anyways. On the weekends though it would be fun to tear up the Northwest Illinois roads by my cottage. Might be better going with a harder tire that is slightly more performance oriented but sacrifice the stickiness.
    Correct.
    A Michelin tire will suit you well.
    I always get about 60-70k mikes out of them, if rotated as scheduled.

230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors

ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    17x7.5
    17x8

Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"
    Last edited by Johnny DemonT; 02-05-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny DemonT View Post
    Thanks. Aren't the stocker's Pilot HX MXM4s if I am not mistaking? Should go leave my office and check. MX4 a superior tire? Maybe Ill just swap the stockers on some rims then. I cannot really complain about the stockers anyway, but I figured if I was gettin a summer setup I might as well do it big haha. Now I'm thinking more like "do it practical"
    Stock Si tires are the MX4. U r correct.

230whp
    178wtrq
    PRL Cold air intake
    RBC manifold
    ZDX TB
    RDX410cc injectors

ME Tuned! Hidden Content
    D2 Coilovers
    Skunk2 rear camber arms
    17x7.5
    17x8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)