Tpms ideas?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tpms ideas?

Tpms ideas?

I've got 2 sets of rims and tires now, and only one set has tpms sensors. Trying to figure out what I want to do for this.

Looked into sensors that I can clone, but my head starting hurting looking at the hand scanners needed to do all of this. Then got completely lost about the signal Hz. Im not trying to go to a service shop just so I can swap my tires over.

I very much liked the idea of a TPMS sensor bomb, charging a pipe with air and sensors inside of it, and regular fittings on the wheels. However, I know TPMS sensor are much more complicated than I once thought. They have to be excited to wake them up when new, and I've heard if there's no movement they will go to sleep, stop sending signal to conserve batteries. Has anyone successfully done this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 9thgensifamily View Post
    I've got 2 sets of rims and tires now, and only one set has tpms sensors. Trying to figure out what I want to do for this.

Looked into sensors that I can clone, but my head starting hurting looking at the hand scanners needed to do all of this. Then got completely lost about the signal Hz. Im not trying to go to a service shop just so I can swap my tires over.

I very much liked the idea of a TPMS sensor bomb, charging a pipe with air and sensors inside of it, and regular fittings on the wheels. However, I know TPMS sensor are much more complicated than I once thought. They have to be excited to wake them up when new, and I've heard if there's no movement they will go to sleep, stop sending signal to conserve batteries. Has anyone successfully done this?
    It's been a while since I worked in a shop, but I think you can just buy a set of programmable sensors from the local parts store, have a shop mate them to the vehicle via scanner and be good to go. Setting up new sensors to a vehicle takes like half a second with the right tool, and most shops wont charge much to program sensors. I don't think the tube would work because of the movement thing like you mentioned.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Two options that can work:
    1. Buy a universal set and pay a shop to have them cloned to the stock sensors. Then you do not need to reprogram the ecu each time you swap wheels.
    2. Buy a preprogrammed set and an ATEQ quickset. Program the sensor Id's to the ateq software and upload to the ecu twice a year when you swap wheels.

I personally have the ateq. I've used it on my civic, jeep, and wrx.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Nooblets
    Our Civic don't use wheel mounted sensor.

Edit: For the 2015 Civic Si, there are no tire mounted sensor.
    Last edited by twoawwsome; 04-10-2019 at 11:03 PM.

OP has a 2012 with the direct system

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    2012, 13: in-wheel sensors. 2014 and up: no in-wheel sensors.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

TPMS has to rank near the top of nanny state mandated garbage. How hard is it to just check tire pressure. It's going to have to be added no matter what. Best option is probably to not have it.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

I wouldn't care about the low tire indicator if you could still turn off traction control. They've made it so you can't swap rims in your garage without having to pay someone to set new sensors up.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9thgensifamily View Post
    I wouldn't care about the low tire indicator if you could still turn off traction control. They've made it so you can't swap rims in your garage without having to pay someone to set new sensors up.
    Yes, that was my issue with it, as well. I always turn off TC, and with a different set of sensorless wheels, I couldn't do that.

Aside from my '12 being a 5AT, this was the main reason I was not terribly sad about getting rid of it.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

If you can find someone else to go in on it with you, the Autel TS508K is a pretty great value for money.

You can program, clone, and troubleshoot sensors very easily without any need to connect to a PC to modify anything. Comes with 8 sensors and the programmer. I'd keep my eyes open for sales or if you can find a used unit.

I've used the ATEQ quickset and it's alright but not nearly as easy to use. The software can be sketchy and refuse to update and/or work. Doesn't do much for the money IMO either (unless you get it used cheap).
    scottyrocks likes this.
    2013 RR Si Sedan - Modified RSX/8th gen CT-E supercharger and 2.25" IMT aftercooler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)