Is Tire PSI Change Necessary?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By homegrown
  • 2 Post By bfaided1984

Thread: Is Tire PSI Change Necessary?

Greenhorn

Lightbulb Is Tire PSI Change Necessary?

Going from the stock 225/40R18 tire to a 235/45R17 tire. Will this require a change in how much air I should have in the tires? Should I keep it at the stock recommended psi?
    2015 Civic Si Coupe Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I'm not certain if there's a hard and fast rule for this.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to set it at the same pressure as recommended from the factory on the door jamb sticker, and adjust as necessary according to the wear pattern on the tires.
    scottyrocks likes this.

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by homegrown View Post
    I'm not certain if there's a hard and fast rule for this.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to set it at the same pressure as recommended from the factory on the door jamb sticker, and adjust as necessary according to the wear pattern on the tires.
    Yea - that's what I've had in my mind to do but then figured if I'm changing tire size then perhaps pressure should change along with it. I've been trying to dig for answers but nothing concrete as come up yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I have been in the business of aftermarket wheels and tires for a long time. We always set them to factory specs. Even if we put something huge on like 37x13.50R22.
    scottyrocks and alexaymp like this.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    I have been in the business of aftermarket wheels and tires for a long time. We always set them to factory specs. Even if we put something huge on like 37x13.50R22.
    That's exactly what I did. I'll keep an eye on the tire wear and adjust psi as needed.

It depends on the tire you have and what you're doing with it. For most any normal application you can't go wrong with ~30 PSI.
    2013 DBP Si Coupe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)