Bought used rims, tires too big. Options?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bought used rims, tires too big. Options?

Greenhorn

Bought used rims, tires too big. Options?

Hi all. Just a heads up that I'm not a hardcore car enthusiast, but learning.

Anyway, recently, after years of waiting, saving, and more waiting I went and bought some used 17" RTX rims and tires.

Fast forward a couple of months in and I go over a bad pothole/construction section, car starts vibrating...turns out 2 of my rims were bent...they're garbage 😞

So I go back searching and find these used and cheap OEM Nissan 18" rims, which I don't know how offensive this is to everyone, but I thought they looked nice and the bolt pattern and center bore works. However, the tires are 245/45/18 and tire guy takes a quick look and says they won't fit 😞

Was told that 215/40/18 would work.

I guess my question is, can anyone confirm that my current tires won't work? I believe it, but hoping for that 1% chance it's not. And any advice for what tire size works best before I go and make another mistake? Looking online the suggestion I got seems good. I have a 2013 coupe lx btw.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

What nissan wheels off what car? Do you know the specs of the wheels?
    Follw me on IG: fl_fg4

205 whp
    174 wtq
    Tuned by John Vega at Phearable

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    We are missing information here, such as how wide is your wheel from bead to bead. Which model and trim level of Nissan are your 18s from?

245s are generally quite wide for a stock Japanese wheel. Civic SIs are 225s. LX/EXs are 205s.

One size up is generally considered the safe and/or workable limit. My LX now has 215s, and they work well and look good. Speedometer accuracy is perfect, if the speed cameras in the school zones are any indication.

The 40 or 45 measurement is the sidewall height, but that number works as an aspect ratio with the larger first number (215, for example), meaning, the ratio of sidewall height to width (in mm).

Not all tires with the same designation are the exactly the same, either. 215/55-16 for example, will not be exactly the same diameter and/or width from brand to brand or model to model, although the last number, the wheel diameter, will be the same. All tires with a last number of 16, for example, will fit on any 16 inch wheel, assuming that the other numbers work for that wheel, in that the tire is not too wide (245 in your case) or narrow.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

225/40R18 should work. 215/40R18 would as well, but there aren't many options in that size.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Yes, if I had an Si, I wouldn't go smaller, though. Stock is 225, as mentioned above.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    Yes, if I had an Si, I wouldn't go smaller, though. Stock is 225, as mentioned above.
    Depends on the year. My 2013 came factory with 215/40R17 but modrids came with 225/40R18s
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.

Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    Depends on the year. My 2013 came factory with 215/40R17 but modrids came with 225/40R18s
    Yes, I was thinking of my year because the OP said be bought 18s, although his car came with 17s.

Now you know why I often ask so many questions. haha
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Quote Originally Posted by bfaided1984 View Post
    215/45/17 on the '12-'13

As for the OP's question, those tires are way too big, almost 2" taller than stock. The Speedo will be way off and the car will accelerate slower. Swap them for a proper size

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dpetro1; 09-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpetro1 View Post
    215/45/17 on the '12-'13

As for the OP's question, those tires are way too big, almost 2" taller than stock. The Speedo will be way off and the car will accelerate slower. Swap them for a proper size

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yea thats what i meant

Greenhorn
    Sorry for the slow reply, but thank you all for the different insights. Not sure if it matters anymore, but for more info, the rims are off a 2010 nissan maxima. So based on online:
    8Jx18 ET50
    5x114.3
    66.1 center bore

My civic stock is
    6Jx15 ET45
    5x114.3
    64.1 center bore
    195/65R15

Based on all the replies I'm thinking of sticking with what was suggested of
    215/40/18 new tires.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)