9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey hows it goin everyone.. Recently in my shop we installed an rbc manifold into a buddy's si.. We've been researching and realized aside from Full-Race using the RBC for R&D on their up coming turbo kit no one has done it yet so we got curious and decided to try and see if it works.. AND IT SUREEEE DID! Note: the RBC is/isnt a direct bolt on. Yes, the mounting points are 100% identical but the RBC/8th gen's have a few things that your Si has different.. in the pics you'll see what I mean.

Ok so in case any of you havent opened your hoods this is what you stock motor/manifold set up looks like.. Plastic 2 piece manifold FTL!!

after taking it all apart(make sure the motor is cold and the neg- bat terminal is disconnected) and test fitting the new manifold and plastic intake and TB gaskets(we used P2R gaskets) its gonna look like this.

So as i mentioned there are some differences, first of which the rbc has an oval shaped coolant port while your k24z7 head has a round port, carefully grind down the manifold port to make it a little wider allowing more collant to pass thru and VERY CAREFULLY trim the gasket(we put some silicone gasket sealer around the port for extra security. another thing on the rbc there is a big vacuum port the stock 8th gen TB uses the 9th gen does not we had one of our local race shops weld it up for us. another this is the big hole on top of the coolant area get that welded up as well!!

you see that vacuum port coming up in between #2-#3 injectors? dont worry about it nothing goes there on the 9th gens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since the RBC and the k24z7's both the DBW (drive by wire) system the TB will bolt right up. Note: The stock manifold puts the TB closer to the intake box which in turn leave the DBW plug a bout 2" away from the throttle body one installed on the RBC. ALSO!!! you will need some type of intake system once the installation is done. if you have a performance shop near by have them custom make one so the maf sensor is on it. car will not run without the maf sensor working. As for the DBW plug simply unhook it from it clips on the side of the valve cover and snug them a little and it puts the plug right where it needs to be to plug into the TB.

another thing that you have to do is shorten/lengthen some hoses. the vacuum hose that comes from the water pump needs to be cut down, the coolant hoses for the TB need to be longer (take on of them to autozone and get about 1' 1/2 of the same size hose.) make sure when you go to plug in the brake vacuum line you read it see which way is pointing saying "to motor" and lastly the valve cover breather hose needs to be longer, or you can just put a breater filter thingy on it lol. HUGE NOTE!! make sure when reassembling you use thread locker on the nuts and bolts for the manifold..

after its all said and done its gonna look like this..

any questions please feel free to ask!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes anyone with questions feel free to ask Adam(AELGHRIANY) or myself..

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
excellent write up, was this done for durability/hp gains with a turbo/sc kit in mind or for NA hp gains?

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Good write up. Would like to see if there is any beneficial gains from stock to RBC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to answer all 3 of you YES! lol the noticable gains are almost night and day. more power & torque across the power band. the throttle response is near zero lag both free reving and in between shifts. yes we do have a turbo set up in mind for this motor as far as tuning go we're wating to see if and when hondata is going to release a flashpro. im sure just with a reflash and the manifold the difference will be amazing!! and then once flashpro is released the tuning potentials and power will be pure sex lol..

·
Registered
55 Posts
We installed it on my TW Si, in all honesty theres a huge difference in every way. Acceleration is quicker, V-tec kicks in a lot harder, top end power is out this world!! I dont know exactly how much hp gains where, but throttle response is also a lot better. I can say that the RBC is so much better than the plastic manifold and it makes me love my car that much more!!! If anybody has questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great write up and thx for let us know bro !!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea man! any questions feel free to ask.. I've done a lot on this car already. and theres a lot more to come... if anyone is interested in doing a group buy this shop by the name of DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE is going to be making a custom intake and 3'' exhaust to a stealth black vibrant muffler.. if anyone is interested and i will let them know how many to make...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That's pretty sweet! A questions for you? I am a rookie when it comes to mods for any car. I currently installed the P2R TBS, plan on getting a CAI, but probably a SRI (don't want to worry at all about killing my engine from hydralock), would love to reflash and possibly get a full race exhaust. Are you worried about ruining anything with your RBC intake manifold, kicking sensors or voiding your warranty? My dealership told me aftermarket mods to not void your warranty unless something goes faulty due to the mod, in which they will not cover the part then. I found a website that stated doing something like you did will increased the HP about 30.

·
Registered
222 Posts
not only rbc will make more power but it looks much better!

op have you thought about going with bigger dbw TB? i know there are bigger oem ones out that should be 100% bolt-on. (for boost set up with rbc port matched of course!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's pretty sweet! A questions for you? I am a rookie when it comes to mods for any car. I currently installed the P2R TBS, plan on getting a CAI, but probably a SRI (don't want to worry at all about killing my engine from hydralock), would love to reflash and possibly get a full race exhaust. Are you worried about ruining anything with your RBC intake manifold, kicking sensors or voiding your warranty? My dealership told me aftermarket mods to not void your warranty unless something goes faulty due to the mod, in which they will not cover the part then. I found a website that stated doing something like you did will increased the HP about 30.
ok np... as i mentioned before myself and Dynamic Performance are in the process of designing a custom 3'' exhaust(cat-back) for the '12 si as well as designing the short ram for the Si.. when i say their work is almost priceless Im serious if you guys are interested in a group buy lmk they can almost make a full 3'' exhaust with aluminum piping but their regular version will be made from stainless steel.. the rbc wouldnt harm the engine and its on inducing more air at a smoother flow which in turn will make more power... i can honestly say if we were to put a stock '12 si on the dyno and then this one right after it im confident that with the exhaust SRI and just for fun a reflash we should be looking at somewhere around a 35-55hp increase over stock and 35-50lbs tq increase over stock.. but as i mentioned we are waiting to see when hondata will release a flashpro.. that way we can make a little more power and tq over reflash.. depending on your location I'd say we can sell and install the rbc for you..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not only rbc will make more power but it looks much better!

op have you thought about going with bigger dbw TB? i know there are bigger oem ones out that should be 100% bolt-on. (for boost set up with rbc port matched of course!)
yes it really does look much better and to be honest ive actually compared and 8th next to this Si and the body lines of the 9th gen actually flow better then and 8th gen.. believe it or not but the rad support and hood prop have the same curve right by the throttle body lol.. ill post a pic later... and to answer your question yea we are going with a bigger Tb we've acutally decided to go with the skunk2 72mm DBW TB309-05-0115 - Pro Series Throttle Bodies - Throttle Bodies - Engine - Skunk2 Store... figure if we're gonna go why not go all the way right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and yes once we finalize the turbo set up we will be porting and polishing the RBC.. we're waiting to see what companies will be releasing a headpackage for the z7...

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Not to doubt you or anything. I thank you for the work that you have done.

If you guys can provide a dyno from stock vs stock w/RBC intake manifold would be totally great. If not, that is fine as I would agree, it would be more beneficial with other bolt ons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not to doubt you or anything. I thank you for the work that you have done.

If you guys can provide a dyno from stock vs stock w/RBC intake manifold would be totally great. If not, that is fine as I would agree, it would be more beneficial with other bolt ons.
we're working with a few shops to do a dyno to see what stock and rbc come up with.. once we do it i'll post it up...

1 - 20 of 1196 Posts