9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just turning over 25K miles on 2013 hybrid at the end of 15 months. I am mostly happy with its performance, getting over 50 mpg for each tank. I figured I paid an extra $2500 for the hybrid civic and I was getting about 37 MPG in my 1995 civic. Still a little frustrated with the forced recharge when the battery dips below 50% but I don't suppose there is anything I can do about that other than pulling the fuse (probably not a good idea).

I was hoping for a CarPlay upgrade but I am not holding my breath. Any thoughts from the Civic gallery?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The only Civic Hybrid I've ever driven was a white 2010 model. It was out of my price range, but I would've bought it in a heartbeat - I actually enjoyed the CVT in it, even back then. It felt much smoother and refined than the 5AT that came in the R18 regular Civics from 2006-2011.

That said, I can tell you I don't think I'd ever buy another non-hybrid variant of the Civic if I couldn't get an Si. Why? Outside of a few isolated cases (the time I had low 50s on a 55mph construction filled trip from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis), my 2010 model never managed to get more than a few miles per gallon more than my Si. I usually averaged 34-36 on the highway, which I have consistently hit with my Si (though more toward the 34 side). The lack of power and handling, to me, is not worth 1-2 more miles per gallon.

Maybe it's gotten better on the Civic's since then, but the 2013 EX-L sedan I had as a rental barely cracked 25 miles per gallon in mixed driving (mostly freeway, a little downtown, mild traffic) on a half a tank, which was quite disappointing. I don't consider myself a lead foot either.

If it were within my budget, I'd be all over the hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Only got 6 mos on my 2012 civic hybrid, and I'm still in love with it. After getting used to hybrid driving I don't think I could go to a non-hybrid or electric vehicle again. (i have my gsf1200n for my gofast needs) Only issue i had was Living in Colorado with the real cold mornings was killing my mpg 36-38ish in stop and go traffic. But then upon researching (cleanmpg forum) I found that with 2 dollars worth of foam from lowes, and the 50 dollar block heater (self installed) I was back to normal mileage once again.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

I bought it used but in near perfect shape for 14k so it almost pays for it self in gas saving, compared to my supercharged Monte Carlo i was driving before (12-16 mpg in city, I had a lead foot)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Closing in on 50k miles on my 2013 HCH....Zero problems so far and I smile each tank! Almost 60 mpg is the norm when temps are 70 degrees and higher. The worst tank ever was a little over 50 (temps in teens for solid week) and best 69.3 mpg in the hot summer months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts