9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I own a 2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan. I have owned it since 72k miles. I am now approaching 100k miles and I was wondering what kind of maintenance I need to be looking at doing to my car or checking for? The only mods to the car are an air intake, D2 coilovers, and 17" work wheels. This is my first 'new car' so I'm trying my best to take care of it and stay on top of things.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I believe the timing belt should be changed at 90k, so you may want to keep an eye on that.

Wrong, 9th gen has a cam chain not a belt.
The serpentine belt that drives the engine accessories might need changing... depends on whether it's been replaced before and/or the condition.

I would check and adjust the valve clearance, if it has not been done before.
Otherwise do what the maintenance minder indicates; when it indicates. (refer to your owner's manual.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for filling me in, I was way off!! Lol

I believe the timing belt should be changed at 90k, so you may want to keep an eye on that.

Wrong, 9th gen has a cam chain not a belt.
The serpentine belt that drives the engine accessories might need changing... depends on whether it's been replaced before and/or the condition.

I would check and adjust the valve clearance, if it has not been done before.
Otherwise do what the maintenance minder indicates; when it indicates. (refer to your owner's manual.)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I saw a great video on checking and adjusting valves. Should that be done by 100k?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I saw a great video on checking and adjusting valves. Should that be done by 100k?
It does not hurt to check them by 100k.
But if you go strictly by the MM recommendations. They will likely never need to be checked.

1Maintenance Service Items
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder
information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3
if they are noisy.
However, I have a problem with the statement: "if they are noisy", because a tight valve makes no noise, and will cause more problems than a loose valve.

I could bore you with anecdotes, on this subject, but that's for another day...

Premature maintenance, when done correctly, does no harm; but to your wallet (or weekend time), including fluid replacements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd say check the spark plugs. Might not need to be replaced, but maybe cleaned and regapped.
If you purchased any sort of extended warranty, change them. OE plugs are Denso 3641. They’re iridium, and gapped already. You definitely DO NOT want to try inserting a gap tool on these, as you’ll risk snapping the iridium core, and at $12-14 each, not worth it.

Honda recommends at 100k to change the plugs, along with your maintenance minder B oil change, air filter (if you have a stock airbox), and cabin air filter.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What all should be replaced along with the serpentine belt? Approaching 150k and would like to get the parts.
You could do the tensioner and idler pulley. Most places sell a serpentine belt "kit" that comes with the belt and tensioner combo. Gates is a good brand or you can buy oem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If you purchased any sort of extended warranty, change them. OE plugs are Denso 3641. They’re iridium, and gapped already. You definitely DO NOT want to try inserting a gap tool on these, as you’ll risk snapping the iridium core, and at $12-14 each, not worth it.

Honda recommends at 100k to change the plugs, along with your maintenance minder B oil change, air filter (if you have a stock airbox), and cabin air filter.
I did not know that about the plugs. Good info

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does not hurt to check them by 100k.
But if you go strictly by the MM recommendations. They will likely never need to be checked.

1Maintenance Service Items
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder
information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3
if they are noisy.
However, I have a problem with the statement: "if they are noisy", because a tight valve makes no noise, and will cause more problems than a loose valve.

I could bore you with anecdotes, on this subject, but that's for another day...

Premature maintenance, when done correctly, does no harm; but to your wallet (or weekend time), including fluid replacements.
Well I guess the brake fluid is defiantly going to be on the list lol. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yeah I have the cabin filter on my list, Aftermarket airbox was installed around 60k but i'll probably still check her out, and the plugs were defiantly on my list as well :O thanks for the input!

·
Registered
71 Posts
anybody know where is the best place to get spark plugs? i was gonna order oem online but there like 19$ each. advanced auto prts have em for $13 each. they have the same item# and are denso. I use my car alot ao i like to stay on top of the maintenance

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
anybody know where is the best place to get spark plugs? i was gonna order oem online but there like 19$ each. advanced auto prts have em for $13 each. they have the same item# and are denso. I use my car alot ao i like to stay on top of the maintenance
Anywhere is fine. Make sure to use a coupon code of you order from advance. Rockauto has plugs cheap but shipping might up the total cost.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
For regular maintenance items, I use my FLAPS. Find one you like and stay with them, and you get advice as well as the parts. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts