9th Gen Civic Forum banner

421 - 440 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
TPMS & Honda Diagnostics

Here is a weird one for you... Please read below, I know it's long, but I appreciate the needed help.

I've already had to replace one TPMS sensor in my '12 Civic Si. Now I have another one that is bad and needs replaced. My Honda dealership asked me to find out which one it was to make it easy. So I did. When they hooked up their diagnostics tool it showed all sensors where good, but one was sluggish and their device could not communicate with the TPMS control module IN the car? What?! So I couldn't get the sensor replaced. I was not happy!

So when I get home I switched my rims and put my three seasons back on. Reprogrammed the TPMS sensor id's into the TPMS control module using the Ateq quickset tool through the ODBII port, which I've used for years with no issues. (I have two sets of rims, one for summer and one for three season). No problems, no annoying digging and flashing.

Months pass its now the end of April...

Time for summer tires to go back on! I switch rims out before heading to the dealership, obviously the ding and flash is back since it's the one tire in the set that needs the new sensor. I go back to Honda have the rotors turned, new brakes, new bt mic installed, new mount and balance of my summer Michelin super sports (which are awesome btw!). All is good, except for the fact they did not replace my bad sensor in the tire. Once again, their diagnostics tool would not communicate with the TPMS module? And they would not replace the sluggish sensor according to their findings. I was at the dealership for six hours! I was pissed! And they gave me a bit of a hard time for using a third party piece of equipment to do the switching of rims. And they charged me $80 for the diagnostics and TPMS work, all without fixing the problem?!

So on the way home I stop off at a tire shop. Have them scan the sensors in the tires. Bam, no problems for them finding the bad sensor. I call Honda told them. Etc... So what the heck is going on! Honda's telling me my quickset tool screwed up the TPMS MODULE, come on really? The same company tool they use is the one I use, just not the crazy super expensive tool that does everything. I've been using the quickset tool for years, I guess anything is possible with computers. You know how annoying it is to have two lights your screen and a ding go off every two seconds!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I guess I'm confused...the dealership knows the sensor is bad but won't replace it? Can the tire shop replace it for you or is this some type of warranty work? Also why would the dealership ask you to identify the bad sensor, isn't that their job?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I guess I'm confused...the dealership knows the sensor is bad but won't replace it? Can the tire shop replace it for you or is this some type of warranty work? Also why would the dealership ask you to identify the bad sensor, isn't that their job?
Thanks for the reply. Finally!
It is warranty work. I had one replaced before and it didn't cost me.
Yeh, it is, I was confused on that one too?
I don't get why there being such a pain, just replace the darn thing for me.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So I guess so far, no one that has read my thread truly understand the tpms to help me out with this problem?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Personally, I would be shocked if the module were bad.

My experience with Honda dealerships and warranty work is that the only way to get anything warranted is to go straight up the chain of command. Call the owner of the dealer directly. If they aren't helpful, find out who the district representative is. Then, start reaching out to American Honda. I can't remember the exact process I went through to get in touch with them, but there was a survey on the Honda website somewhere. Once your claim goes in they reach out to both you and the dealer simultaneously. They dealer got back to me and fixed the problem before American Honda took it further than that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What about trying another dealership?

Seems like if the hds cannot connect to a sensor that is the obvious bad sensor.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Just buy a replacement sensor and take it to a local tire shop to have it installed. If they have the tools which they should they should be able to scan and provide you with the new TPMS sensor ID and you can then just reprogram it with your Quickset.

And never ever bring your car back to that stealership ever again! If you get any surveys make sure you give them a bad bad bad rating.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
So I guess so far, no one that has read my thread truly understand the tpms to help me out with this problem?
Merged.

I don't know if you saw the stickied thread for '12 and '13 TPMS issues, but your thread is now that thread. Take a look through it, and maybe there will be some pre-existing help. If not, it belongs here, regardless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TPMS Sensor Replacement Woes

Hey guys. A few months back, I broke a TPMS sensor on my '12 Civic EX. I got the big red error every time I start the car "CHECK TPMS SYSTEM". I ordered the OEM sensor for this car, it looked identical to the one that came out, had the honda logo on the wrapper, etc. Installed it, blew the tire up to 40psi, and am still getting the stupid red warning. I did a bit of research, and it seems like I have to get this new sensor programmed into the car's TPMS controller? WTF?

Called the dealer, he wants $62 to do this. As if it'll take them longer than 5min to do it. Some forums say that the sensors are plug/play, others say you have to have special tools. What's the verdict?

Can I just buy a tool for $60-70 and do it myself? I hate relying on the dealer, and plan to keep this car for a long time. Also, can other shops do this cheaper?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hey guys. A few months back, I broke a TPMS sensor on my '12 Civic EX. I got the big red error every time I start the car "CHECK TPMS SYSTEM". I ordered the OEM sensor for this car, it looked identical to the one that came out, had the honda logo on the wrapper, etc. Installed it, blew the tire up to 40psi, and am still getting the stupid red warning.

*I did a bit of research, and it seems like I have to get this new sensor programmed into the car's TPMS controller? WTF?

Called the dealer, he wants $62 to do this. As if it'll take them longer than 5min to do it.
Some forums say that the sensors are plug/play, others say you have to have special tools. What's the verdict?

**Can I just buy a tool for $60-70 and do it myself?
***Also, can other shops do this cheaper?
* Your research is correct.

** I don't know.
*** Maybe, try a tire shop or independent repair shop.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The reason your still getting the TPMS warning is because you have to program the new tpms. I literally just changed a TPMS on a 2013 Camry wheel today and you have to re program the new TPMS. I don't know how much the programmers cost but it literally only took like 5 mins... I work at a Toyota Dealership. If you don't want to go to the dealer just buy your own one then. It's not hard at all to reprogram it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can I just buy a tool for $60-70 and do it myself? I hate relying on the dealer, and plan to keep this car for a long time. Also, can other shops do this cheaper?
There are places that do it for free. If you don't feel like raising hell at the dealer, I would call a couple tire shops. I was going to say you could do it yourself with an ATEQ Quickset, but you still need to know what the code is from that TPM sensor. I would only buy this tool if you had a 2nd set (say winter tires) like me, where you change them yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called, and discount tire said they'd reprogram it for free. However, after they did so, they said the warning screen would go away in 15min or so. It's been several days, and the warning still comes up every time I start the car :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
I called, and discount tire said they'd reprogram it for free. However, after they did so, they said the warning screen would go away in 15min or so. It's been several days, and the warning still comes up every time I start the car :(
Take it back to that store.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah if they were able to read a code from it, that means it's working. Maybe they just had a typo when programming it to the ECU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OBD-II and TPMS

My 2012 Civic LX just had another TPMS sensor break-down in less than a year. I was stupid enough to go to stealership to replace first one, and they charged me almost $300 for it. I'm a lot wiser now and know that I can get $30 sensor myself off Amazon. I learned how system works, about unique ID for each 315Mhz sensor, so I know that after I have sensor installed I have to program car's computer to accept new ID. I just bought a wireless scanner (Autel TS401) that will help me to ID which sensor(s) is broken (and if it's really broken).
In case my local shop can't make ECU relearn new sensor ID, is there a way to do this on the cheap without spending another $150 for ATEQ Quickset device?
There are cheap OBD-II reader dongles out there and I've been searching all day and couldn't find straight answer if they can read and maybe even write TPMS data.
Does anyone knows?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My 2012 Civic LX just had another TPMS sensor break-down in less than a year. I was stupid enough to go to stealership to replace first one, and they charged me almost $300 for it. I'm a lot wiser now and know that I can get $30 sensor myself off Amazon. I learned how system works, about unique ID for each 315Mhz sensor, so I know that after I have sensor installed I have to program car's computer to accept new ID. I just bought a wireless scanner (Autel TS401) that will help me to ID which sensor(s) is broken (and if it's really broken).
In case my local shop can't make ECU relearn new sensor ID, is there a way to do this on the cheap without spending another $150 for ATEQ Quickset device?
There are cheap OBD-II reader dongles out there and I've been searching all day and couldn't find straight answer if they can read and maybe even write TPMS data.
Does anyone knows?
You need either Honda HDS software with HIM interface or one of the aftermarket devices that you have already discovered.
My source at Honda told me. That they are coming out with a stand alone tool. That will work with all Honda TPMS systems that use pressure sensors in the wheels.

So, unless you know someone with HDS/HIM (or aftermarket tool) the answer to your question (in red) is NO.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Merged.

421 - 440 of 479 Posts