9th Gen Civic Forum banner

461 - 479 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for checking that for me, Teeps. From Tire Rack email with them: "The TPMS sensor manufacturer of S016 is TRW (same as OE / 42753-TR3-A81)". So, I believe they should be the correct sensors - although they came installed in the wheels so I can't confirm with 100% certainty.

Update!: I finally had time to do the inflate/deflate process and.. it worked! No more light or beeping!
For reference, it was: 1) inflate to 44psi, 2) deflate to 20psi, 3)inflate to 32psi (nominal). Drove for about 100ft and the warning went off.

I am really surprised neither the tire shop or dealer knew to do this...
Thanks to those in the thread with the solution!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Both of those #s come up as working with my '13 EX, likely an improved part for the new number...I would guess.

Had a warning recently the night of the sudden temp drop. 2 of my tires have slow leaks, and it caught them for me.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I should have paid more attention to Service News.
The affected vehicles list doesn't include 2012 Civic because it was only 3 years out when this article was written.

TPMS Indicator On or Low Tire Pressure Indicator Flashing on 7-Year-or-Older Vehicle? Check Tire Pressure Sensor Batteries

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2008−12 Accord, 2008−13 Civic Hybrid, 2008−13 Civic Natural Gas, 2010−15 Crosstour, 2007−13 CR-V, 2011−15 CR-Z, 2007−11 Element, 2008−13 Fit, 2010−14 Insight, 2005−15 Odyssey, 2005−15 Pilot, 2006−14 Ridgeline, 2008−09 S2000

Do you have a vehicle in your shop that fits all of these conditions?
• It’s at least 7 years old.
• It has direct TPMS (uses tire pressure sensors).
• The TPMS indicator is on or the Low Tire Pressure Indicator is flashing.
• All four tires need replacement.
Chances are the batteries in one or more of the tire pressure sensors are either low or dead. Normal sensor battery life varies, depending on the sensor maker and customer usage. Average sensor battery life can range from 7 to 10 years.

Chances are the batteries in one or more of the tire pressure sensors are either low or dead. Normal sensor battery life varies, depending on the sensor maker and customer usage. Average sensor battery life can range from 7 to 10 years.
When replacing all four tires, it’s a good idea to replace all of the sensors as well. Sensor replacement isn’t covered by warranty; it’s customer pay. By replacing them all together, you could save your customer the time and expense of future visits.
To make sure there’s a need for sensor replacement, check each sensor battery’s state of charge, first with the HDS then, as a double check, with the VT55. Here’s how you do it.
1. Hook up the HDS, select TPMS, and look for any of these TPMS DTCs:
• 31, 33, 35, 37 (tire pressure sensor low battery voltage)
• 32, 34, 36, 38 (tire pressure sensor signal failure)
NOTE: These DTCs will set if the sensor battery is dead.
2. Note the results and turn off the HDS, but keep it handy; you may need it later. Go to step 3.
3. Make sure the VT55 is fully charged. If its battery is low or weak, use the A/C adapter when testing.
4. Make sure the VT55 has the latest software; it’s essential for accurate sensor testing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i bought 15s for my civic from Tire rack last week (for an old school look), I previously purchased the reset tool from tire rack as well. I have tried it and the light is still on.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
i bought 15s for my civic from Tire rack last week (for an old school look), I previously purchased the reset tool from tire rack as well. I have tried it and the light is still on.
More info needed. What tool? What is 'trying' it? What did you do with it?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Are you trying to program new sensors? I assume tire rack shipped tires mounted with new sensors that you need to program. At any rate, need more details.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

What year is your Civic?

'cause '14 or later Civics do not have sensors in the tires.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
What year is your Civic?

'cause '14 or later Civics do not have sensors in the tires.
Yeah, and then there's that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
His bio mentioned 2012 so it's likely a direct system..
Tire rack generally shops their sensors activated with the ID printed on the receipt so they should be ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone. This is what happened to me: my TPMS was ruined because of a person trying to re-install my tire and he broke the TPMS. This wasn't after the fact that I went to another shop (three months later for an oil change and they offered TPMS services), and i asked them to check what the issue was. The problem was the following: the TPMS was broken from the previous service from the re-install of the tire from the previous shop, and it was slowly breaking inside my tire. So if nothing else is working for you, try to have your shop look to see what the issue is. Most likely, a broken TPMS is broken without you noticing.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Everyone. This is what happened to me: my TPMS was ruined because of a person trying to re-install my tire and he broke the TPMS. This wasn't after the fact that I went to another shop (three months later for an oil change and they offered TPMS services), and i asked them to check what the issue was. The problem was the following: the TPMS was broken from the previous service from the re-install of the tire from the previous shop, and it was slowly breaking inside my tire. So if nothing else is working for you, try to have your shop look to see what the issue is. Most likely, a broken TPMS is broken without you noticing.
Huh?
Not sure what you are stating or asking here.

Also it helps, if you are seeking help with a problem to include:
the the year and model of your car
and in which city, state or country you are located.

·
Registered
2013 Civic SI
5 Posts
Pressurized PVC pipe- I found this thread on the S2000 forum... guy says it works like a charm.
FYI, I was going to go this route because TPMS sensors don't fit correctly in my Konig Hypergram wheels. I put all four sensors in a pressurized PVC pipe, but when I showed up at the dealership to program them, they said,
A. The sensors are too close, and they can't program due to interference
B. Our vehicles read rotational velocity of the sensors, so they won't work unless they are spinning inside the wheel.
Guess I need to retro-fit my sensors to fit in the rims. No other way to disable the light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,

After a TON of testing, I finally have a working prototype circuit that FULLY defeats the TPMS system in the '12 and '13 Civic!

It is as simple as unplugging the OEM TPMS unit (behind driver kick panel) and replacing it with my new unit. It fools the car into thinking the TPMS system is up and running with no issues at all.
With this unit, you can run whatever wheels or tire pressures you want and not have to worry about not being able to turn off VSA!!
This is extremely useful for Summer/Winter wheels, track use, or just not wanting to shell out ~$100 (sensors) + ~$100 (mount) + ~$100 (program) = ~$300 to the dealer when your sensors go out.

Obviously, there is still a ton of testing for me to do. It is still in breadboard stage right now... I plan to soon have the circuit transferred to a more permanent config and run it in the car every day to make sure it is reliable.
Currently, it's only been tested on my '13 Si Coupe, but I am almost 100% certain it will work on all '12 and '13 models with TPMS. It will also most likely work with a few other Honda models from this era.

I wanted to reach out here to see if there is any interest if I were to start getting custom PCBs designed/built and sell them for a reasonable cost? What are people willing to pay to fully defeat TPMS?

Thanks,
Your friendly 9thgenEE

·
Registered
591 Posts
Does the spare wheel have a TPMS sensor? Need to do a spare tire delete.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Check the valve stem.
I looked at it, spare didn't have any numbers like the regular wheels did.
Finally thought to check the manual, looks like it doesn't have one in the spare.

Attachments

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Valve stems with sensors are different than the regular valve stems.

461 - 479 of 479 Posts