9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've driven a lot on Cinturatos because that is what is stock on the new GTI and while I don't own one, I have driven them quite a lot in all conditions besides snow. They seem to be a pretty decent tire, but I don't think it will be night and day between them and Contiprocontacts.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No, I would not say a lot of road noise at all. I have 10,480 miles and I rotated at 5250. I always rotate every 5-5250 miles and maintain 32/33 PSI checked bi monthly. Despite my EX's first brutal NJ winter, I never hit a pothole or curb and my EX still tracks completely straight with no pull to either side.
Get every mile you can out of the factory supplied tires. They are the best tire quality for that given tire that you wil ever own.

The tire industry works such that the manufacturers get the best tires (so your car rides like a dream during the test drive), then TireRack and Discount get the 2nd quality level, then it trickles down from there. All tires are checked for spin balancing and the tires are rated in quality at the factory and sent out accordingly. Note the sometimes yellow or orange dots on the sidewalls.

When the tire molds/dies get old, they ship them off to the next lower quality tire company. Hate Cooper Tires well then try Belle Tire MasterCrafts. Hey, you might get lucky, or you might have a fistful of lead to keep your car from driving like a clown car.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
I don't know, but the MXM4 are horrible tires, looking forward to mine wearing out and replacing them.
Indeed they are. I threw mine away after about 15k miles on them.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Hi,

Even though I have ONLY 10,480 miles on my 2013 EX sedan with the Continentals that have been wearing perfectly even all around, I have seriously been considering upgrading to either the
Michelin MXV4 or the Pirelli Cinturanto P7. Would either of these tires really be a huge improvement in both road noise and ride comfort? The guys
at Tire Rack tell me it would be a night and day difference and a HUGE improvement. But than again, they just wanna sell tires.

Judging from how my Continentals are wearing, I would estimate I could squeeze out around 35-40K or so.

Thanks
No.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Get every mile you can out of the factory supplied tires. They are the best tire quality for that given tire that you wil ever own.

The tire industry works such that the manufacturers get the best tires (so your car rides like a dream during the test drive), then TireRack and Discount get the 2nd quality level, then it trickles down from there. All tires are checked for spin balancing and the tires are rated in quality at the factory and sent out accordingly. Note the sometimes yellow or orange dots on the sidewalls.

When the tire molds/dies get old, they ship them off to the next lower quality tire company. Hate Cooper Tires well then try Belle Tire MasterCrafts. Hey, you might get lucky, or you might have a fistful of lead to keep your car from driving like a clown car.
This might explain why a set of new, lesser-name replacement tires with an almost identical tread pattern to the worn out Michelins they replaced resulted in a hydroplane crash on a road I had driven wet dozens of times, including on the older tires with no incident.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

I thought the dot was to line it up with the valve stem...........................manufacturing quality doesn't matter much when the performance of the tire sucks.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
I thought the dot was to line it up with the valve stem...........................manufacturing quality doesn't matter much when the performance of the tire sucks.
From my experience that dot lines up with the valve stem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 79537

·
Registered
54 Posts

The tire industry works such that the manufacturers get the best tires (so your car rides like a dream during the test drive), then TireRack and Discount get the 2nd quality level, then it trickles down from there. ............
This is wrong!
The factory supplied tires are the cheapest tires the manufacturer can get, and normally those don't last long, just good enough for a good test ride!
Aftermarket tires are of better quality. I get rid of my OEM tires as soon as I get a new car and install Michelin MXV4, much better than any original tire. Just check tire rack test results and comments.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Tires are equipped per car accordingly.if you buy an LX your not going to receive Bridgestone potenza
If you buy an SI your not going to receive Ecopia

Etc etc

They're matched accordingly.

It's not a benefit to them to give you the cheapest.

If that was the case then I probably would of received some cheap Michelins on the accord,but I didn't I got Bridgestone potenza.not exactly the cheapest tires
The SI didn't come with cheap tires either.

If you wanted an expensive tire to come stock,well you shoulda bought an expensive car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Considering my Si's handling capabilities, I think the Contis are one of the sketchiest tires I've ever owned. They make the 9th gen a definite bump down from the 8th gen in handling on the highway, IMO. I highly recommend an upgrade if you have the dough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is wrong!
The factory supplied tires are the cheapest tires the manufacturer can get, and normally those don't last long, just good enough for a good test ride!
Aftermarket tires are of better quality. I get rid of my OEM tires as soon as I get a new car and install Michelin MXV4, much better than any original tire. Just check tire rack test results and comments.
Agreed. OEM are not the best tires. I thinking about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey guys. on my way home from the city last night and this happened. anyone else have problems. i barely put any miles on the stock tires only used in winter. little over 20k miles on car, but even less on stock tires, maybe just 15k driven on stock.

Attachments

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Holy crap.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I didn't like the factory tires on my 2014 Civic EX Coupe.

The factory tires, Hankook, or whatever, produced more road noise, and rough ride. I saw there were a number of complaints about those factory tires on the internet. So, I went back to the dealer and traded the factory tires for the tires on my traded in car, a Pontiac G5 with new Toyo tires that I had installed before I traded. (Yes, that was stupid of me.) Anyway, the new Honda handled and rode satisfactory, but the improvement with the Toyo tires was dramatically better. Yet, they should be better because they cost nearly twice as much.

The Toyo tires rule!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
My wife's Mazda came stock with Toyo tires and they were garbage. Handling on dry wasn't anything to write home about, handling on wet was far from assuring as you can feel the tires ready to slip also tires were loud and the ride was harsh I think I'll stop there lol. Also the Toyo's on my wife's Mazda had a real knack for picking up nails, I lost track of how many nails I pulled out of those tires lol.

Ended up dumping them for a set of Falken FK452 summer tires for 8 months of the year and a set of Kumho snow tires for the other 4 months. Now that is a dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Also instead of measuring, a quick tip by just looking: look at your tires. For example, 215/45/R?? - the two numbers in place of the question marks is your wheel diameter.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts