9th Gen Civic Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm just curious about getting summer tires in the future. Sound comfort and handling are the biggest concerns as well as long life.

Sent from Puffaroach
Well I'm just going to give you opinions on tires that I have used:

The Hankook RS-3s that were suggested are a great dry tire with maximum grip but I think it is pretty extreme for a daily tire. The tread life isn't that great. I used those primarily for autocross. From the looks of the tread, it looks like water evacuation wouldn't be that great in heavy rain.

I have tried Dunlop Direzzas and those are just ok. Mediocre grip but gives good feedback of when you are at the limit. Some tires don't give any warning when you go over the limit and they slip. One bad thing about them is that they get freakin' loud. I'm probably about 1/4-1/3 of the life into the tires and they just howl. Worst part of the tire.

So far no complains about the Hankook Evo2s. Pretty decent tire. Since you are just looking at summer tires for next summer, keep your eyes peeled for sales. Usually Discount Tire and Tire Rack have Fall/Winter sales on summer tires.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
i was getting ready to say what Dwils said above...that was a really low tire (flat) and was driven on for some time. wife did that before....exact same result. reason she did it was she was on two lane country road, no shoulders and drove to the first turn off she could find. by then...we had what you have.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
merged

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
The factory tires, Hankook, or whatever, produced more road noise, and rough ride. I saw there were a number of complaints about those factory tires on the internet. So, I went back to the dealer and traded the factory tires for the tires on my traded in car, a Pontiac G5 with new Toyo tires that I had installed before I traded. (Yes, that was stupid of me.) Anyway, the new Honda handled and rode satisfactory, but the improvement with the Toyo tires was dramatically better. Yet, they should be better because they cost nearly twice as much.

The Toyo tires rule!:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
Merged into 1 super thread covers 12-15 non SI stock tires and PSI questions.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Probably will go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and be done with it. Thanks very much for the recommendations!
The Michelin Pilot A/3 is always a good choice and my brother (also a big 'car guy') runs those on his BMW M3. When I had to replace the stock Continental Conti Pro-Contacts that came on my 2014 Si Coupe, I read a lot of reviews at tirerack.com and ended up choosing the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetricals. They were substantially cheaper than the Michelins (various rebates added up to $110 as part of that) and the user reviews seemed more positive.

The Goodyears are MUCH better than the Continentials which always squealed loudly when I'd push them in corners; the Goodyears make a much quieter noise during hard cornering and don't seem to be on the verge of letting go like the Conti's. The Goodyears are also Y-speed rated which implies a more substantial construction and good heat dissipation.

Very happy with these Eagle F1s. (The 'Asymmetrical' part is just that the outermost tread section is larger and different than the inner; these aren't the tires that can only spin one way, I think that's called 'directional'. These just have one side that must be the outside.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wrapped my si in Michelin as3 , i was going to go with the super sports or the eagle f1s but decided to go with the as3. I work at discount tire so i was able to get them within 1 day and price is unbeatable

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I don't know why honda recommends 32psi.. driving around at 34 feels a lot better

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
I don't know why honda recommends 32psi.. driving around at 34 feels a lot better
I checked the tire pressure on my stock Michelins the other day and set all four to 33.5PSI. Going to swap out to my summer tires next week and will probably run the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No idea if this belongs here but I will try. I'm thinking about tracking my car, would it better to use the stock wheels with better tires or new wheels with good tires? I'm going to get a second set anyway, but only one will be used for track driving. Thanks :D

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get lighter weight wheels but if your tracking your going to beat the crap out of the wheels so might want to trash the stock wheels instead. Either way you'll need to get better tires.

No idea if this belongs here but I will try. I'm thinking about tracking my car, would it better to use the stock wheels with better tires or new wheels with good tires? I'm going to get a second set anyway, but only one will be used for track driving. Thanks :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get lighter weight wheels but if your tracking your going to beat the crap out of the wheels so might want to trash the stock wheels instead. Either way you'll need to get better tires.
Yeah I was wondering more about the wheels. Thanks :) , gotta keep planning for this :punch:

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,405 Posts
Less unsprung weight is always a good thing, and especially in racing.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts