9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question: What is the best tire for mountain driving? Running regular si rims on my 2012 si. i commute over a mountain pass everyday for work and it really wares my tires down. i get the rotated regularly when i do my oil change. i was looking at the bridgestone Potenza RE970AS

·
Registered
7 Posts
2014 Civic Si 4 door. Looking to buy a set of rims/tires for winter duty.......has anyone squeezed 16's over the brakes?

Edit: Called the dealer and was told 16's will fit.....I can go with a 205/55/16 snow tire. They have steel rims in stock......so I guess a rim from a base model Civic maybe?

·
Registered
435 Posts
2014 Civic Si 4 door. Looking to buy a set of rims/tires for winter duty.......has anyone squeezed 16's over the brakes?

Edit: Called the dealer and was told 16's will fit.....I can go with a 205/55/16 snow tire. They have steel rims in stock......so I guess a rim from a base model Civic maybe?
I own a 13 Si and I have 16" Honda steel rims for my winter tires. They barely fit but I had no issues last winter. There's minimal clearance between the front caliper and the rim.

·
Registered
227 Posts
'14 Si tires

The all-seasons are junk. I just wanted to say that.

They totally ruin the handling. When traveling down the highway, the car is just all over the road. It's definitely the tires. They suck.

I'd have paid $500 just to have the old Michelins back. Honda blew it on these Contis.

Merged

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
The Micheling MXM4 that came with the 12-13 models weren't much better.

Reactions: z00mer and 79537

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Then you should have gotten the summer tire option. However, the tread life worries me. My friend has contiprocontacts on his Civic EX and they were pretty much shot at 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Then you should have gotten the summer tire option. However, the tread life worries me. My friend has contiprocontacts on his Civic EX and they were pretty much shot at 25,000 miles.
I would have if I had a choice. Trust me. I had to take what I could get because white coupes were really rare when I had my dealer intercept mine in the build list.

I can't remember what the Michelins used to be on my 8th civics, but they were way more stable on the highway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
im at 3k miles on my SI with the summer tires and I've done two auto crosses and the outer edge of my front tires are already shot....worst tires ever!

·
Banned
601 Posts
Someone had posted a picture of a wheel/tire assembly on a (bathroom?) scale, and it was a smidge over 50 lbs. If you believe the Tire Rack's weight spec of 22 lbs. for the 225/40R18 Continental tire, that would put the wheel at 28 lbs. That 's probably a few pounds over what it actually weighs (subtract out the wheel weights and valve stem; I'd estimate actual wheel weight of around 24-25 lbs.), but that's still damn heavy.

Reactions: speedy28

·
Registered
865 Posts
Having a slight issue with my tires. A few days ago my TPMS light came on. The weather was pretty chilly, low 40's high 30's. Checked the tires and they all read 25-27 PSI.

Filled all 4 tires to about 30-31 PSI, to compensate for the colder weather. Drove the car this morning and the TPMS light came. Thought it was weird because it wasn't that cold, roughly 53 degrees Fahrenheit. Thought nothing of it thinking maybe driving the car 20 mins would warm up the tires enough to let the TPMS light to turn off. It didn't.

I went to a gas station to put more air in the tires but they're all reading about 32 PSI. I'm not sure when the TPMS light turns on for over inflation, but 32 PSI seems a bit premature for the light to come on for over inflation.

I had this issue before last fall/winter and it was immediately fixed when correcting the tire pressures.

Any input is appreciated. Just hoping my TPMS haven't gone bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
^^^^^^^^
I had my light come on last week at 28 psi.The temp that morning was 32.I topped em off and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My TPMS light came on a few months ago, oddly it wasn't getting colder it was in the summer time, I checked my tires they were all in the mid to high 20's so I brought them up to the low 30's. The TPMS light turned off as I was pulling out of the lot and haven't seen it since. Sorry know this doesn't help much but that's the experience I had

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Having a slight issue with my tires. A few days ago my TPMS light came on. The weather was pretty chilly, low 40's high 30's. Checked the tires and they all read 25-27 PSI.

Filled all 4 tires to about 30-31 PSI, to compensate for the colder weather. Drove the car this morning and the TPMS light came. Thought it was weird because it wasn't that cold, roughly 53 degrees Fahrenheit. Thought nothing of it thinking maybe driving the car 20 mins would warm up the tires enough to let the TPMS light to turn off. It didn't.

I went to a gas station to put more air in the tires but they're all reading about 32 PSI. I'm not sure when the TPMS light turns on for over inflation, but 32 PSI seems a bit premature for the light to come on for over inflation.

I had this issue before last fall/winter and it was immediately fixed when correcting the tire pressures.

Any input is appreciated. Just hoping my TPMS haven't gone bad.

Maybe drive around a bit and see if the sensors adjust and the lights turn off? I don't know just a guess thank goodness I don't have to deal with TPMS on my Canadian spec Si.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All 4 tires are sitting around 31 PSI but the light is still on. Drove around for about 20 mins and light is not going away. Does the spare tire have a TPMS sensor? If so then I'm guessing the pressure in my spare could be low which is causing the issue. If not, then I'm going to swing by the dealership and have them diagnose it.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
All 4 tires are sitting around 31 PSI but the light is still on. Drove around for about 20 mins and light is not going away. Does the spare tire have a TPMS sensor? If so then I'm guessing the pressure in my spare could be low which is causing the issue. If not, then I'm going to swing by the dealership and have them diagnose it.

Dealership could probably just reset the TPMS.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I thought about it but then that adds another 420 bucks to my order on top of tires and I just thought if I could get away with using the stockers I could get some aftermarket wheels for summer,and there is no way I can get both at that kind of price. Summer wheels alone where just shy of 1000 bucks and thats with wheels that where 150 dollars at tire rack but by the time I get canada's sales tax and all the shipping....well yea it adds up quickly. heck the cheapest steelie I could find was 90 bucks a piece then add 15% tax on that and I'm 103 bucks per wheel for steelies....crazy. We don't have any options for local wheels other than a shop about 45 mins away but because they are the only ones around they gouge people pretty bad some times. I don't want to run the si wheels but I figured if I could protect them somehow they would be alright.
I think if you go to your Honda dealer they sell factory steelies for around 60-70 dollars Canadian. The problem with aluminum rims in the winter besides the surface corrosion is salt and sand getting between the rim and tire in the bead area, as tire /wheel turns it gradually works its way in and corrosion starts on the bead area, a year or two down the road when air starts leaking in the bead area, some guy will take a grinder and grind out the corroded aluminum, put some sealer on and remount your tires, you are good for another year, but now damage has been done and you are on a downward slope. Steel wheels will last the life of your car, just clean them before putting them away for the summer so salt does not work on them in the warm months.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Someone had posted a picture of a wheel/tire assembly on a (bathroom?) scale, and it was a smidge over 50 lbs. If you believe the Tire Rack's weight spec of 22 lbs. for the 225/40R18 Continental tire, that would put the wheel at 28 lbs. That 's probably a few pounds over what it actually weighs (subtract out the wheel weights and valve stem; I'd estimate actual wheel weight of around 24-25 lbs.), but that's still damn heavy.
I was shocked by the difference in weight between the 2013 17 inch aluminum wheels and the 2014 18 inch ones, noticed it most when carrying them downstairs for winter storage!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dealership could probably just reset the TPMS.
Update.

Stopped by the gas station before going to the dealership to double check the tire pressures. Everything was fine except my rear passenger tire was sitting at 15 PSI. I don't know how it got that low. Filled it to 30 PSI and by the time I got to the dealership, the TPMS light went away.

Had them look at the car anyway and they said everything checked out ok.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts