9th Gen Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am going to share my mishaps from yesterday. Keep in mind the following:I just bought the car brand new in Jan 2012. I did an oil change about a week ago, Mobil synthetic 0W-20 w/Filter and the car has approx 6600 miles. So i am driving back from work on a Sunny Sunday afternoon. I stop at a light, nobody in front of me on a rural road. Istart off regular and then i floor it, chirp into second, looking good, tried chirping 3rd but that didnt happen, sorta felt a lil rev hang going into 3rd, keep going have it at about 5000 rpm and then all of a sudden the car started hesitating and the engine light started blinking. I tried to keep driving in like 4th, 5th gear and felt like i was just going to lose power altogether.
I pulled over into a parking lot, let it idle and it sounded ok at idle, i increased the rpm to 2.5k and the cylinders were misfiring. I am thinking i messed up the tranny, f*ck. So then i turn the car off for a couple of minutes, turned it back on and decided i was going to try to drive it and see what happened. To my surprise the problem was no longer there. I was able to drive 15 mins back to my house. This morning i wake up and take it to the Honda Dealer Service department. I explain my issue and tell them i need it checked out asap because i had to be at work and they "said" they didnt have any loaners or rentals i could have for the day. They checked it out within an hour and the computer pointed out that cylinders 1,3 & 4 had misfired. They said this problem was prob. due to bad gasoline. I was hesitant to believe this was the cause. I have been pumping gas at the same Mobil as does my wife and shes never had any problems on her 8th gen Si. The service tech proceeded to tell me i was going to get my car back after they resetted the computer and did their multi point inspection. I get the paperwork back and he explains to me that there was an update for my car's computer. I asked him what the update was about and he said he wasn't quite sure what changes it made, that all that info is found in their engineering dept and that he had no access.. He told me that an update can help the car get better readings off the sensors (ex. O2) so that the engine light doesnt turn on. They then give me my car back. I drive it back to work and to my surprise it actually feels easier to shift and with not so much rev hang. Could it be possible that this update has actually fixed the rev hang in someway?? It feels like the computer now has a better sense of what the car is supposed to drive like. I've complained before about the shifting methods on this car and now the gear transitions feel smoother. I tried googling the update version code that they printed on the receipt but had no luck finding anything on the web.

I will take a pic of the update version code later on and will post..

Safe cruising, speeding fellow 9th gens..

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Sounds like you had bad gas or an ECU fart. The bad gas theory gets more credence when/if you have the same problem soon unless you had them drain the remaining fuel from the system. Had you been running low on fuel at the time of the incident?

The update "could" change the rev-hang easy enough except that I do not believe they have done that with an update at this time. The new characteristics you feel could just be the result of resetting the ECU and letting it relearn.

I am glad for you that it has been cured of whatever it was doing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with 9thGen, that's a good point about it could have a different feel because of the car re-learning itself. Bad fuel could be the cause. I haven't heard of any updates like that for the Si. I'm interested to see the printout.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hard to believe the problem was bad gas, I don't think that really happens much anymore unless you are leaving it in a gas can for 2 years and then pouring it into an almost empty tank. Living in BFE Oklahoma dust bowl, not even our local pos station where the pumps are covered in dirt has put out "bad gas." Plus the dealership filled my car with 87 for its first tank, even on that hitting vtec I had no problems. Hopefully it was just an ECU glitch and won't happen again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its likely the ECU just needed to be rebooted. This happened 3 times in 60k miles in my ep3 Si. All sorts of hell would break loose, the engine would ping, there would be no throttle response, it sounded like it had rod knock. If I pulled over, shut it off for about 15 seconds, and started it up, it would do the same thing. If I left it off for a couple minutes and then restarted it, everything would be fine until it did it a couple of years later.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
I to had a situation with this but I thoguht it was normal because on VSA. When I floor it in 1st right when it hits vtec it hangs at that rpm for a sec then jumps up past it really strong it felt like turbo lag... anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The dealer did a flash update on the ECU of your car. Most likely it was not bad gas, but a bad factory tune which resulted in the misfire. If it was because of the gas, perhaps the factory tune is for a higher octane than what is available in your area. When I had my EVO in 04, the first TSB out was for P0300, random misfire which was also resolved via flash update. When evos were first brought over, they had a tune for 93 octane, and ran very poorly on 91 octane. Flash updates are pretty common for newer cars that use ECU's.

Do you know what OBDII codes where? The misfires are pretty easy to figure out which code, but there may have been others not on your paperwork.

Check your invoice to see if there is a techincal service # for the update they did. With the TSB # you should be able to figure out what the udpate entails. On the right side of the image Tech(s)468 looks like a TSB number, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
hey - just read your info and VERY interesting. I have owned my Si Sedan for 1 month - just 900 miles now - Dealer NO help with the Rev Hang. I actually got thru to Honda Engineering in CA!!! Here's "what" they told me. The ECU Rev Hang "fix" from Aug 2006 Service Bulletin is NOT going to happen with the '12's. They told me that Honda Engineering had purposely "designed" it that way for - get this - "easing synchro shock to the Drivetrain when shifting gears." !!! They said Nissan has designed the same thing in their manuals but for Rev MATCH on the DOWNshifts. I asked them "why" didn't you guys do the same for the Si - it would have worked better?? NO response. They said there would be NO "fix." Now I hear from you that Honda is "reprogramming" the ECU - and what the reprogram does is FIX some of these same issues. This is my first Honda experience and I have to tell you I am NOT impressed with the Service Staff at my Dealer OR their US Engineering Staff. An THIS is the company that built F1 engines and now builds Indycar engines??!!!!

Don't know IF this helps anyone - but I'm just going to have to wait til my local Honda Speedshop gets the Hondata Update for the '12's - and then pay to have it reprogrammed locally.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The OP# 's at the bottom are basic tasks:
1255A7 Idle relearn procedure
123505 Retrieve DTC, store immobilizer codes

I want to caution those that think this update was an effort to cure rev hang. There is a good chance the ecu update was no more than the one called for in the service bulletin for problems during cold start. SB 12-027 which has been mentioned in an earlier thread. Date added for this bulletin was 05/02/12. If you touched the gas pedal during cold start it could start then stall and be hard to restart.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
OK, got that!! I just can't believe this Rev Hang - and like I said, will just "wait" for an "in house" Reflash when it's available

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for explaining what the codes mean. I definitely think this was an ECU fart because i had about 1/4 tank left and dont think the 93 gas i pumped at a local Mobil could've caused that. Since i received the ECU update the car revs dont hang as much when shifting, it feels more natural and when i shift it feels like the car wants to growl right into the next gear. Before the update i felt like i was shifting an automatic car because of the slight rev hang. I am not saying this is a complete solution to the rev hang issue but feel like its improved the feel of the car during shifting.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Sounds like a much more enjoyable experience now. Glad to hear it was fixed.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I sure "wonder" about this - whether or not the Software Update was FOR Rev Hang....the Rev Hang Issue sounds like it WAS cured or at least lessened. My car is really great otherwise. It's that damed Rev Hang that's just so ridiculous. This car has gotten SO much "Bad Press" - and for what? To me it's one of the nicest "perf cars" I've ever driven in Real World driving - and I've owned a few - from X1/9's to Ferrari to RX-7's to Corvettes.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
The OP# 's at the bottom are basic tasks:
1255A7 Idle relearn procedure
123505 Retrieve DTC, store immobilizer codes

I want to caution those that think this update was an effort to cure rev hang. There is a good chance the ecu update was no more than the one called for in the service bulletin for problems during cold start. SB 12-027 which has been mentioned in an earlier thread. Date added for this bulletin was 05/02/12. If you touched the gas pedal during cold start it could start then stall and be hard to restart.
So there is an Idle Relearn Procedure...I thought we were told that with the 2012 civic's there wasn't, per manual (forgot which one but one of the members on here showed it to me a while back when they were installing Hondata Reflash). I wonder what is the idle relearn procedure for our 2012s.

For the EP3, it was hold the rpm at certain rpm until the radiator fans kick in. Otherwise, you pull your ecu fuse and let the car relearn it self after certain amount of miles.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
They claim it is:

Cold start, let idle down and run for 10 mins on it's own. At a minimum cycle the cooling fans twice before turning off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.