9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a ring go on the #4 cylinder. Oil shot out from the breather on the valve cover. Big mess... anyways does anyone know if the k24z7 from the 2012 si will work as a replacement? I know its the same motor but I noticed the ecu part numbers are different. I have a flash pro to accommodate some boltons so it will be retuned.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
How the heck did you manage that? Were you boosted or insanely tuned?

The 2012 motor should work. I believe it's identical with a slightly tweaked downpipe/exhaust to get like 2 more hp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove it pretty hard. I bought it new and started building right away. It has a ported head with springs and retainers, rbc, prl, injectors. It made 214 whp and 172 tq. She popped with 36k miles lol. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow for all that money invested why not just go FI? Still planning on putting the ported head onto the "new" engine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2012 engine will stay stock. The car has been down for a couple months now so I want to get it driving again. Depending on the damage to the block I will either rebuild it or if needed sleeve it and do oversized pistons. Im not looking to make crazy power just something stronger. The k24z7 is a bastard stepchild of a true k series.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The 2012 engine will stay stock. The car has been down for a couple months now so I want to get it driving again. Depending on the damage to the block I will either rebuild it or if needed sleeve it and do oversized pistons. Im not looking to make crazy power just something stronger. The k24z7 is a bastard stepchild of a true k series.
Ever consider fitting a 1st gen RDX turbocharged 2.3 engine?
That engine is rated at 240 bhp at 6000 rpm with a torque peak of 260 ft·lbf (350 N·m) at 4500 rpm.
They should be cheap as it was a failure in the RDX application.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Ever consider fitting a 1st gen RDX turbocharged 2.3 engine?
That engine is rated at 240 bhp at 6000 rpm with a torque peak of 260 ft·lbf (350 N·m) at 4500 rpm.
They should be cheap as it was a failure in the RDX application.
it will not fit, the transmission bell-housing is different

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
it will not fit, the transmission bell-housing is different
For the straight swap "bolt on" crowd that may be true.
But, that's why there are bell housing adapters...
In this case, though, it would probably not be cost effective, 'cause you'd probably have to build one.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hmm, my 2013 si popped around 31k miles and it was piston #1. All I had was a fr exhaust and I doubt that was the main cause of my car to blow up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not really. All I knew was that I did 1-2 pulls in 1st and then it felt weird after that. The only time I did it as well.
You got a check engine light i'm guessing?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Not really. All I knew was that I did 1-2 pulls in 1st and then it felt weird after that. The only time I did it as well.
How long ago was this? It should still be covered under warranty I imagine. Perhaps you bought the car used and the previous owner beat on it? Very strange.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,636 Posts
How long ago was this? It should still be covered under warranty I imagine. Perhaps you bought the car used and the previous owner beat on it? Very strange.
Mods+Flashpro=bye bye warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
this is crazy that the k24z7 is having issues......i have a friend who was fi and blew his engine at 9,000 miles 2015 si , out of no where ... spit a rod right at the front after 2 pulls....i wasn't with him in the car so i dont know if he over raved the engine., misshift and caused it to pop but I'm sure theres more to the story.....after reinstalling a new engine we come to find out tht the fuel pressure regulator wasn't working and if thats the case ., that issue there could have caused him to go lean and well detonation kicked in and spit there goes your rod.........

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bought the car new with like 2 miles on it or such. It was under warranty. I only had a FR exhaust and no fp at the time but I doubt that had any real affect on the car. Car has been off ever since I got it off the lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
**** UPDATE ****
2012 motor is in with 2013 ECU. Started right up. I reset my ECU to stock via FlashPro to remove my old tune. Once I started driving it through misfire codes and bogged down. I forgot that the only thing not stock on the car is the lightened flywheel and clutch. I will need to disable "misfire detection" and reupload. Also here is a pic of the melted piston :eusa_dance:
IMG_2773.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
**** UPDATE ****
2012 motor is in with 2013 ECU. Started right up. I reset my ECU to stock via FlashPro to remove my old tune. Once I started driving it through misfire codes and bogged down. I forgot that the only thing not stock on the car is the lightened flywheel and clutch. I will need to disable "misfire detection" and reupload. Also here is a pic of the melted piston :eusa_dance:
View attachment 414562
Did the injector fail on that cylinder causing it to overheat?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I just hit 30k on my '13 Si about two weeks ago. This makes me worried! I do hit VTEC quite often but never really bounce off the redline or limiter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts