9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've have my Si TFW sedan for about two months now and have surprisingly experienced something I've that's never happened in my 20+ years of driving. As a general rule, I use engine braking whenever possible, meaning I downshift and let the engine drop revs on it's own in each gear.

A few days ago when i downshifted into 3rd (clutch disengaged, foot off accelerator, and in gear), the revs went up initially as appropriate for the gear, but then revs stayed steady. They didn't drop.

Then yesterday, also downshifting into 3rd, the revs increased to match where they should be for the gear, then ACCELERATED ON THEIR OWN. So i was in 3rd gear, foot off the accelerator, and the car was climbing in revs. That's just not right, and makes me concerned about the safety of the car at this point.

I've setup an appt with HONDA, but really hope this doesn't relate to the "rev hang" threads all over this forum that appear to be incurable without an aftermarket ECU (I'm leasing this car and don't want to invest in a computer that should function properly).

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If im understanding your post right, it sounds like you have cruise control on and are pushing in the clutch while it is engaged. My old civic disengaged the cruise control when i pushed in the clutch, but my si does not. You have to either tap the brake or hit the cancel button on the steering wheel before you put the clutch in, otherwise your revs will stay steady or increase. My theory is Its the cruise control thinking it needs to increase revs because speed is dropping. So its normal, its happened to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have not experienced this. Can I ask why you engine brake whenever possible? I have been driving a manual transmission for 20+ years and I coast in neutral as much as possible and let my brakes do the braking.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have not experienced this. Can I ask why you engine brake whenever possible? I have been driving a manual transmission for 20+ years and I coast in neutral as much as possible and let my brakes do the braking.
Saves your brakes, and prevents fading. Simple.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
True...but at what cost to the transmission? i'd rather change out brake pads a little more often, but that's me. Plus it helps with MPG's.

I only engine brake going down steep descents.
Zero cost to the transmission, if you are blipping the throttle correctly. If you do it right, there shouldnt be anymore jolt to the transmission than regular up-shifting. Thats also part of the reason behind rev hang, to reduce shock to the tranny when letting off on the gas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Zero cost to the transmission, if you are blipping the throttle correctly. If you do it right, there shouldnt be anymore jolt to the transmission than regular up-shifting. Thats also part of the reason behind rev hang, to reduce shock to the tranny when letting off on the gas.
If a downshift is in essence the same as an upshift, then doesn't that double the amount of shifts/wear? Wouldn't going from 6th gear to a neutral and coming to a stop then eliminate the wear from 5 shifts? There has to be some clutch wear from these 5 downshifts...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If a downshift is in essence the same as an upshift, then doesn't that double the amount of shifts/wear? Wouldn't going from 6th gear to a neutral and coming to a stop then eliminate the wear from 5 shifts? There has to be some clutch wear from these 5 downshifts...
Well, yeah, clutch wear, but not tranny wear. The clutch is designed to take the strain off the transmission. Its like brake pads, you EXPECT to change the clutch after a certain amount of miles. But a few extra shifts isnt going to make much of a difference. Its your driving technique that matters. Once again, blipping and rev matching will reduce wear on the tranny AND the clutch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I replace brakes in no time, clutches are annoying.

As to the OP's post, this has happened to me once when it was extremely cold outside for down here, and never again. For the record I don't use cruise so I can rule that out, and just chalk it up to a random rev hang.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just because you switch gears, doesnt mean your cruise control automatically turns off.
Some cars have a switch so that when you push in the clutch it shuts off the cruise control. Pressing the brake has the same effect, but its more convenient to not have to hit the brake and just shift.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
So I've have my Si TFW sedan for about two months now and have surprisingly experienced something I've that's never happened in my 20+ years of driving. As a general rule, I use engine braking whenever possible, meaning I downshift and let the engine drop revs on it's own in each gear.

A few days ago when i downshifted into 3rd (clutch disengaged, foot off accelerator, and in gear), the revs went up initially as appropriate for the gear, but then revs stayed steady. They didn't drop.

Then yesterday, also downshifting into 3rd, the revs increased to match where they should be for the gear, then ACCELERATED ON THEIR OWN. So i was in 3rd gear, foot off the accelerator, and the car was climbing in revs. That's just not right, and makes me concerned about the safety of the car at this point.

I've setup an appt with HONDA, but really hope this doesn't relate to the "rev hang" threads all over this forum that appear to be incurable without an aftermarket ECU (I'm leasing this car and don't want to invest in a computer that should function properly).

Thanks.
youre re experiencing rev hang. Happens in mine all the time, especially when using cruise control.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem then I realized my mats were touching the accelerator..

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,485 Posts
Coasting 'in neutral as much as possible and let my brakes do the braking' is not a wise idea. I am always in a gear until just before rolling to a stop. When you are free-wheeling, you have no accelerative control at all.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,538 Posts
Coasting 'in neutral as much as possible and let my brakes do the braking' is not a wise idea. I am always in a gear until just before rolling to a stop. When you are free-wheeling, you have no accelerative control at all.
The only time I'm in neutral is just before I come to a stop and I leave it in neutral when I'm stopped thats it.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

Thanks.
After 20 years of driving you use the engine to slow the car down everytime? That's a recipe for wearing down your clutch, not to mention it hurts your gas mileage and prematurely wears your trans. Brake pads are always cheaper.

My .02

Reactions: SICoupe

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
After 20 years of driving you use the engine to slow the car down everytime? That's a recipe for wearing down your clutch, not to mention it hurts your gas mileage and prematurely wears your trans. Brake pads are always cheaper.

My .02
please see my previous posts on this thread.

It will only wear your clutch down more than normal if you slip the clutch too much, AKA suck at driving manuals. And there will be no extra wear on your trans, once again if you know how to upshift and downshift correctly.

edit: and actually, it saves gas, because when you let the engine do the braking, the throttle body is completely closed and you are using less gas than it takes to idle.

please do not talk out of your butt, it confuses people.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can easily push in clutch pedal and select a gear in a split second if needed. Just sayin'. I do the same on my bikes as well. The soonest any of my cars have ever needed brakes has been 50K too. No biggie since I do all of my own brake work.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

1) It will wear your clutch a little bit faster, and put a bit more wear on the gearbox components as well. Where I come from gearboxes and clutches are expensive AND a pain in the ass to fix; while brakes are relatively cheap and easy to do in a few hours.

2)
It wont damage your engine, but it does put more wear on the engine.

3) Higher RPMS, while engine braking, require more gas versus neutral and 500 rpm idling in neutral.

Reactions: 2013SilverSI
1 - 20 of 45 Posts