9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this board for a while deciding whether or not to jump on board to the 9th Gen Civics. I finally decided it was time to upgrade my ol' 98 CR-V and step it up to a newer SI!

I have found a '13 SI Sedan in my area with 51k miles on it and it has a k&n typhoon intake. I got the guy to agree to $16,000 but don't know to keep shopping around or jump on the deal.

Does anyone have any opinions to help me decide to jump on this one or keep looking around?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the link to the car I have been looking at
asheville.craigslist. org/cto/5481867628.html---

Looks pretty clean but I know how badly these civics can be dogged

·
Registered
458 Posts
welcome to the forums!
have a test drive and if u did , I bit it was comfortable car to drive.
go ahead and get it

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
Used cars are always a gamble (unless you the owner really well. And even then . . .)

I have nothing scientific to base this on, but a car that is all stock is preferable to me to one that has mods, even an intake, which says there is a chance the owner drove the car, um, enthusiastically. Of course, maybe not. And if he did, it may not be any big deal, regardless.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
I wouldn't say $3500 less for a 2 year older car is a horrible deal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You can always check kbb.com to get a relative value of the vehicle based in mileage and condition and use that to help you make a reasonable offer but what the seller is asking is too high I believe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid 19500 for my brand new 2015 civic SI coupe... So I'd say horrible deal.
Man I wish I could find that deal around here. The only '15s I can find have atleast 20k on them and the people are wanting over 20 grand for them.

I guess there must be a higher demand for them out here. The only completely stock one I can find is a coupe, and honestly I think the sedan looks soo much better.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Over 50k miles on a 2013? Man...that guy got around. Either way, the price is pretty good. Your decision :). Expect to pay more money if you find a another si with less miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can always check kbb.com to get a relative value of the vehicle based in mileage and condition and use that to help you make a reasonable offer but what the seller is asking is too high I believe.

Yeah I really wanted to get it down to $15,000 but he still owes 18 on it and would only go to 16. The KBB on the car is $16,171. I guess it's looking like a decent deal atleast. I plan on test riding it here soon and then i'll probably be able to figure out if its the right choice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Over 50k miles on a 2013? Man...that guy got around. Either way, the price is pretty good. Your decision :). Expect to pay more money if you find a another si with less miles.
That's pretty average actually. I have 36k on my 15 si already.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Yeah I really wanted to get it down to $15,000 but he still owes 18 on it and would only go to 16. The KBB on the car is $16,171. I guess it's looking like a decent deal atleast. I plan on test riding it here soon and then i'll probably be able to figure out if its the right choice.
If he still owes 18k on the car steer clear. I personally wouldn't pay for a car with a lien against it that's higher than the value of the car. So even if you give him the 16k for the car he would still have to come up with 2k to give to the bank for them to release the title.

There's other Si's out there. Keep looking.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The price for the car is subjective based on a bunch of things. I usually consider these:

- Pricing based on car valuing sites (KBB, NADA, etc.)
- Pricing on local craigslist site
- Pricing at local dealers
- Pricing on forums, etc.
- How bad you want it

After looking at the "Price Paid" thread I got a little discouraged based on the sweet deals others had gotten. But I made the "mistake" of wanting the car too bad and not being willing to walk away from it. I've also got very little experience with dealers, new cars, etc. BUT, I'm still happy every time I get in my car and I didn't pay sticker price either.

BTW, if you are new to the SI's just know that they are prone to setting codes or not running properly when air intakes (short ram or cold air) and they have not been tuned. Not everyone on every car, just comes up a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he still owes 18k on the car steer clear. I personally wouldn't pay for a car with a lien against it that's higher than the value of the car. So even if you give him the 16k for the car he would still have to come up with 2k to give to the bank for them to release the title.

There's other Si's out there. Keep looking.

He said he would pay the difference of 2k to get the title released but I do understand how that is kind of sketchy to be selling the car for less than he owes. I think I will atleast give it a test drive before I decide because I cannot find a single SI around me that is CPO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I'd be a bit wary of someone selling a car they're upside down on. Did he give a reason for wanting to sell?
He says he has too many other cars and needs to get rid of one. I'll have to check it out first before I make any decisions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After hearing everyones opinions I actually kept looking for CPO cars and have found this one a couple hours away from me and think it might be a better buy. The 100,000 mile warranty sounds too good to pass up.

hondacertified.com/inventory-vehicle-details.aspx?Zip=28723&VIN=2HGFB6E54EH704279

·
Registered
202 Posts
After hearing everyones opinions I actually kept looking for CPO cars and have found this one a couple hours away from me and think it might be a better buy. The 100,000 mile warranty sounds too good to pass up.

hondacertified.com/inventory-vehicle-details.aspx?Zip=28723&VIN=2HGFB6E54EH704279

Smart move. Certified is the way to go. Just make sure its a Honda CPO. Some dealers offer their own "CPO"...run from those dealers that do that.

Where do you live? If you're in the NYC metro area my best friend is a sales mgr. He can help you out. They have 2 CPO Si's in stock atm

·
Registered
639 Posts
He owes more than what it's worth? RED FLAG, stay clear. Side note, from all the not so criticism from all the comments I'm sure now you defiantly want to be apart of our community.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts